OT: Homeless- Mtbr.com

Thread: OT: Homeless

mtbr member

OT: Homeless

what's up with the homeless increase around boise?

15th/front...near the soup kitchens...no surprise.

cole/overland...

franklin/I-84 west ramp

federal way/broadway

albertsons @18th

other places too. downtown on "cruiser 2C invasion night"

i'm a transplant...but i've seen the homeless/bum population increase (at least in my eyes since i've been here) in the last 4 years. particularly in the last year....what's up?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    i've seen the people with homes population explode. wassup wid dat? that aside. it seems the same to me. at least it is not like seattle, chicago, philly, or NYC. the panhandling in those cities is out of hand...no pun intended.

And to jack your thread and include bike content...we will be working on Gardiner as soon as you can cart my butt up there. We will also be doing trail work on Bogus as soon as it gets flagged out.

Everyone who pledged time. I thank you in advance.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Has anyone noticed how big Donny Osmond's forehead is?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

He is an alien. A conehead to be more exact.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    And to jack your thread and include bike content...we will be working on Gardiner as soon as you can cart my butt up there. We will also be doing trail work on Bogus as soon as it gets flagged out.

Everyone who pledged time. I thank you in advance.
    Al - Good seeing you last Sat. I want to volunteer as well, and I noticed the Trail work thread is now locked. Will you be posting threads for the work days? For me, sending my schedule in advance is not as effective as penciling in date(s) to reserve. Soccer season just ended so my Saturdays are freed up more. Sunday afternoons and evenings typically work for me also.

Surly advised that spudhucksters.com had an entry about putting the creation back together - if we could get those dates posted here as well (Ian) that would be effective in rallying whatever troops want to help.

Thanks for organizing these days.

cp

Sundays work best, but I can move my schedule around to accommodate people. We can start work on Gardiner ASAP. We will need a couple pickups. Everyone needs to bring loppers, food, TP, water, gloves and their bike. Does 5/26 work for everyone? Meet at the first parking lot on 8th (on the left side before it turns to dirt) @ 10am.

And for those who can't make it...I'll be up on Gardiner or Bogus every weekend (except the weekend of 6/23) until October. Post or PM any questions.

mtbr member
    5/26 is memorial day weekend....and i am planning to get outta town.

this weekend is out for me.

1st weekend of june i will be around. and after that...no plans in june, yet.

6/2 is the national trails day.

would 6/3 work for anyone?

sorry i'm booked for the next couple of weeks.

i'd be interested in heading up there in the afternoon after work...3ish or 4ish any day. we could get some stuff done. and at least ride. and take in some views

Hi!!!
    1) Obviously I can't quantify anything, but I don't think I've seen a dramatic rise in the homeless population. I do believe the number of homeless have gone up over the years, but I just haven't seen anything that would make me think we have a big homeless problem. What you could be noticing is just the numbers of homeless folks being outside with the nice weather here now. You want a homeless problem...go to Oahu. Up until recent months....the Wainaie coast was just littered with homeless settlements on the beaches there. Now there is an effort to "clean up" the beaches and find affordable housing for folks. Lot easier said than done.

2) What are loppers? Are they like big pruning shears? And what about shovels? Can you get tools to borrow from R2R? I'm looking forward to helping out.

Sorry. Obviously, I have no concept of holidays. lets shoot for 6/9. same time. same meeting place. Would that work?

Also, for anyone got to do Rock Island. Would you please give me a trail report? How is everything holding up? Does it look like people are wandering willy nilly off trail? Pictures would be good.

BMX:Our Shining Future

Anybody Notice How Many Homeless There Are?

Anybody notice how hot the weather is nowadays? Anybody else notice how long this war is lasting? Anybody notice how many methamphetamine addicts there are roaming around on the streets completely out of their minds? Anyone notice how much federal land is now closed to bicycles including interstate highways and national parks and national monuments and wilderness areas and national forests and proposed wilderness study areas? Anyone notice how romantic relationships dont last anymore? Anyone notice how life is getting harder and also kind of worse? Does is seem kind of crowded anymore? Is is just me or do people seem a lot angrier than they used to especially driving in traffic? Does it seem like women just hate all men now or at least talk that way? Anybody notice how it seems like a lot of people are getting cancer? Is is just me or has there really been a lot of people openning fire on strangers lately with their guns? Anyone out there smell wood smoke this week from some kind of fires? Doesnt it seem a little early for fire season? Anybody notice how many people from the Bush administration seem to be in some sort of investigation/trouble? Doesnt it seem like oil prices are down but gas prices are up? Anyone notice that expenses are up but wages are down? Does is seem that a lot of people are really grumpy and irritable nowadays? Doesnt it seem like television has gotten kind of creepy and weird? Anyone notice that teens are just screwing their brains out with perfect strangers? Anybody notice how much reefer people are smoking these days? Doesnt it seem like Ive been drinking a lot of beer?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    Doesnt it seem like Ive been drinking a lot of beer?
    It's a sad testament to America when one has to drink lots of beer to "get it".

How about that Glen Campbell. One of the great rock guitarists of the 20th Century

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Word!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    what's up with the homeless increase around boise?

15th/front...near the soup kitchens...no surprise.

cole/overland...

franklin/I-84 west ramp

federal way/broadway

albertsons @18th

other places too. downtown on "cruiser 2C invasion night"

i'm a transplant...but i've seen the homeless/bum population increase (at least in my eyes since i've been here) in the last 4 years. particularly in the last year....what's up?
    Carrie/Kerry (sp), I might be misinterpreting your feelings on the issue, but I have empathy for, and feel bad for these people. I don't always give them money when passing them on the street in my car, but sometimes do and feel good about it (I have no idea if they're using it for alcohol/drugs, or not - but one thing is for sure, they are certainly NOT living large).

For me it opens up a giant can of worms; for example, what our country could be doing with the hundreds of billions of dollars we're wasting fighting a "war" we can't win, to affect lasting and positive change in our own country, including helping the homeless and/or poor, creating more good jobs, affordable healthcare, etc.

By the way, if it was I who posted the original post you did, there's a chance Al would have removed it and PM'd me that it was too far off topic and should be in the socio-political forums.

Sorry the homeless people are an annoyance or inconvience for you.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 05-18-2007 at 08:29 AM.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Carrie/Kerry (sp), I might be misinterpreting your feelings on the issue, but I have empathy for, and feel bad for these people. I don't always give them money when passing them on the street in my car, but sometimes do and feel good about it (I have no idea if they're using it for alcohol/drugs, or not - but one thing is for sure, they are certainly NOT living large).

For me it opens up a giant can of worms; for example, what our country could be doing with the hundreds of billions of dollars we're wasting fighting a "war" we can't win, to affect lasting and positive change in our own country.

I feel it's unfortunate the country has made it very difficult to for normal folks to help the homeless people out. I'm not talking about filling their bellies, I'm talking about turning their life around. For you business owners, how much paper work does it take when you hire somebody? Do you think it would actually be possible to hire a homeless person? What if they don't have their ID, or SS card? Now what? With all the rules we have, the government has really put a damper on a contractor being able to legally put a homeless person to work.

Hi!!!
    Hey Daryl I was in Custom Cycles yesterday and your Turner was on the stand. I couldn't remember...are you getting a bigger front roter? I think that is going to be the next upgrade for me on the Yeti. Probably go 7" from 6".

Hi!!!
    I don't give to panhandlers like the one sitting on the benches on 8th street between Bannock and Main nor do I give anything to those that just approach you asking for spare change here downtown.

My donations go to three agencies here in the valley: 1) Women's and Children Alliance, 2) Salvation Army, and 3) Red Cross.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It was Ronald Reagan who told us that the homeless are homeless by choice.

Didn't anybody tell him that the cost of postage just went up 2 cents?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    disagreed. Just go to any Home Depot in the morning. I know that's under the table, but for legitimate employment, it can't be that hard for a person to get a ss#, or replace one that was already issued. Isn't one issued to everybody who is born?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    disagreed. Just go to any Home Depot in the morning. I know that's under the table, but for legitimate employment, it can't be that hard for a person to get a ss#, or replace one that was already issued. Isn't one issued to everybody who is born?
    That's exacly what's wrong with America. Home Depot. That, and always having to pay bills. It should all be free.
    Attached Images Attached Images

over researcher
    I agree with what you're saying. I should have explained more. It would be fantastic if it weren't so difficult for a contractor to hire somebody for day labor, without being forced to break the law. In other words, let a contractor hire a homeless person for a week to just sweep up the job site. But no, the government makes you go through all the paperwork, blah, blah, blah. Here is Mr. Contractor, trying to help a guy out without giving handouts, but finds it difficult to do for just a week's worth of work.

I do agree to a point that homeless choose it their situation. Yes, there are circumstances where a person who has it all ends up on the street. Most of the time, it's because of poor decisions on their part. They need to fix those decisions and start contributing to society. It's plenty obvious that not all homeless people are like the guy characterized by Will Smith in that movie that was released a month or two ago (yeah, I forgot the name of the movie). It's too bad too.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    I feel it's unfortunate the country has made it very difficult to for normal folks to help the homeless people out. I'm not talking about filling their bellies, I'm talking about turning their life around. For you business owners, how much paper work does it take when you hire somebody? Do you think it would actually be possible to hire a homeless person? What if they don't have their ID, or SS card? Now what? With all the rules we have, the government has really put a damper on a contractor being able to legally put a homeless person to work.

LOL, a homeless person has to WANT to turn their lives around. Sometimes they are too f-ed up from drugs & booze, or have a mental illness, and are literally incapable of making correct choices. Some of them LIKE living under a bridge and not having to answer to the man. Some folks have had some hard knocks, but those are usually the folks who can take some accountability for getting themselves out of whatever hole they are in.

For most real jobs not only do you need an SSI number, but you also need a permanent address and a phone number. It's a horrible catch 22 for people who want to work but for whatever reason they lack permanence.

To answer one comment on SSI's, no you are not automatically issued one at birth. That's citizenship. You have to apply for a SSI number using a certified copy of your birth certificate.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You're a smart, logical guy or you wouldn't be a SW developer; however, you're taking things to an extreme and you know it. Still, we're all entitled to our opinion. It sounds like you're against any entitlements or help for those less fortunate and you certainly have your right to your opinion. It's a complicated issue, but I laugh at the irony of the contrast between the richest 1%, the middle class, even those struggling, and the poor/homeless. It just doesn't need to exist. Sorry, but that's my opinion and as I free up more time, will offer some of it to like habitat for humanity and other worthy causes.........

btw: the toy airplane is funny.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    so if you're a contractor and need a few extra hands, why not just pick them up at Home Depot in the morning, or wherever and use them then pay them and not worry about it? They probably hardly speak english anyway? (no offense meant by that).

Maybe thery're not waiting around at the Home Depot stores here, but they sure were/are down in SoCal

Don't worry, be happy!
    I think you have homeless labor confused with illegal immigrant labor. The undocumented guys are the ones that get hired for day labor at HD etc. The homeless guys are still sleeping it off at 6 am.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep Nick. I didn't think I wanted one just for the sake of having one, but it was strongly reccomended for longer descents, etc. So getting more of that awesome Harloe treatment/bike love

Hi!!!
    I really like that shop. I brought in Jarrod's old Hardrock yesterday for a tune-up. Not too sure what I'm gonna do with that bike just yet, but I'd like to have it at least running smoothly. Ran into a riding buddy's wife there too and she was dropping off some Bike Swap bikes to get worked on. Jon fixed my rear wheel....I keep breaking spokes on it on the Greenbelt. Ugh. I'm gonna have to prodeal a stronger wheelset one of these days. But I want to pour most of my bike $ into the Yeti first then the SS and road bike get the scraps .

And speaking of day laborers...for as long as I lived in Caldwell....I don't see any of these hanging out on the street corner. We have a Home Depot and Lowe's in Nampa, but I don't see any of them there. Even in what we call labor camps in Marsing and north of Caldwell....I don't see 'em. I think it's cuz all of 'em have jobs already.

When I was in Phoenix last month....taking Grand Avenue out of town you see alot of 'em.

mtbr member

For me it opens up a giant can of worms; for example, what our country could be doing with the hundreds of billions of dollars we're wasting fighting a "war" we can't win, to affect lasting and positive change in our own country, including helping the homeless and/or poor, creating more good jobs, affordable healthcare, etc.

By the way, if it was I who posted the original post you did, there's a chance Al would have removed it and PM'd me that it was too far off topic and should be in the socio-political forums.

CARY is the correct spelling... for you to use in future insults and post putting words in my mouth.

i saw the same dude that's always @ 15th/front the other afternoon. he was drunk as a skunk at 1 pm. backpedaling down the ped ramp/sidewalk...regaining his balance...walks up to the top and then backpedals again. drunk dude. had a sign that read: Merry X-mas...and this was april. but, guess some people keep x-mas lights up year round..so using a "holiday" cardboard sign is ok for some.

anyway, i've just noticed an increase in homeless across town and wanted to see what other's thought about it.

i don't give money to them. and my opinion, if you're going to do anything. take them to the convenience store or mcdonalds and buy them a meal or some snacks. but, it's your coin..do what you want with it.

we donate to the shelters; so i think we are doing something.

that's just my opinion.

just wanted to see if other people have noticed an increase over the last 4 years or so since i've been here. guess with an increase in general population you will see an increase in homeless.

sorry to interrupt this regularly scheduled 98 blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    LOL, a homeless person has to WANT to turn their lives around. Sometimes they are too f-ed up from drugs & booze, or have a mental illness, and are literally incapable of making correct choices. Some of them LIKE living under a bridge and not having to answer to the man. Some folks have had some hard knocks, but those are usually the folks who can take some accountability for getting themselves out of whatever hole they are in.

For most real jobs not only do you need an SSI number, but you also need a permanent address and a phone number. It's a horrible catch 22 for people who want to work but for whatever reason they lack permanence.

To answer one comment on SSI's, no you are not automatically issued one at birth. That's citizenship. You have to apply for a SSI number using a certified copy of your birth certificate.
    formica...there is way too much truth in what you just posted for some of these fairlyland libs to understand.

federal gov't has no business dealing with local/state homeless issues...

the war sucks..yeah..but social programs on the federal level will always fail.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmm think I recall saying "I might be misinterpreting your feelings on the issue"

Hey Cary, wasn't insulting or putting words in your mouth, and was being polite by requesting the spelling of your name. I'm not going to get all mad because people disagree with me - but you certainly are coming across as insulting and antagonizing.

Have a Nice Day.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 05-18-2007 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Yep Nick. So getting more of that awesome Harloe treatment/bike love
    OH MY

JON....BE CAREFUL

or drink a lot of beer to get OVER it

If you happen to rent the documentary "in the realms of the unreal" they talk about the "poorhouses" that Henry Darger's father lived in. We dont have public "poorhouses" anymore but we had them in 1910. The last time in US history that there was a lot of homeless people hanging around was in the depression, they called bum camps "Hoovervilles" then and the nations police kept busy just as they do now trying to shoo the bums off to the next town down the line.

Theres just a whole lot of poor, crazy, drug addicted, ill, hungry, lonely, despairing people hanging around the place not just the in USA but the whole damn world not the least because there is so MANY people now on the planet competing for a rapidly depleting set of resources. At the same time the concept of SHARING seems to have been completely replaced by the ethic of TAKING, people with a quarter of our present standard of living were happy to provide for the poor a hundred years ago. Now we just want our cops to put them on the bus and get them out of sight.

But for damn sure there will be a whole [email protected] of a lot more of them soon in fact statistically speaking there is a decent chance that you will become one of them yourself, there are already whole countries that live like the homeless and its going to happen here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, I'm not TOO much of a PITA for John! That's the correct spelling of his name by the way J-O-H-N.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    "decent chancethat you will become one of them yourself, statistically speaking?
    Not a chance for me, pal. I agree with Formica, one has to want to change, but i'd much rather work than be homeless thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2004

That's cool

i don't give money to them. and my opinion, if you're going to do anything. take them to the convenience store or mcdonalds and buy them a meal or some snacks. but, it's your coin..do what you want with it.

we donate to the shelters; so i think we are doing something.

that's just my opinion.
    I'm afraid if I took them somewhere to buy them someting I might get lice or something.
    I'd rather give them coin occassionally, but yeah the best way is to donate, like to the shelters, as you said. You're doing a good thing.

Again, if they use that coin to buy alcohol or whatever, that's their problem, but unless you see them drunk (like you did) how to know they really don't need food or something?

Hi!!!
    Well, I'm not TOO much of a PITA for John! That's the correct spelling of his name by the way J-O-H-N.

----------

This is what it's like to be homeless on Oahu....

There is one beach (Mokuleia) on the outside of Haleiwa that is a kite surfing hotspot, but it's also home to a large number of homeless folks.

over researcher
    so if you're a contractor and need a few extra hands, why not just pick them up at Home Depot in the morning, or wherever and use them then pay them and not worry about it? They probably hardly speak english anyway? (no offense meant by that).

Maybe thery're not waiting around at the Home Depot stores here, but they sure were/are down in SoCal
    Yeah, it's bad down here in SoCal. I hate it. Like formica said though, different groups of people. Yeah, I'm an electrical contractor. No, I won't hire the Home Depot crowd. Why not? Because I believe in doing things by the rules. I shouldn't have to break the law in order to be competitive. There's something more important than that though. I don't know this for a fact, but there is probably a real good chance that the majority of the Home Depot crowd are illegal aliens. The legal immigrants probably already have jobs. I despise illegal immigrants. Please understand my distaste towards illegals is not those who immigrate to our country legally. My belief is that if 100% of legal immigrants and citizens of the USA refused to hire illegal aliens, then there wouldn't be an illegal immigration problem. The USA is enabling the problem. If I don't want somebody in my house, I'm not going to keep feeding them ice cream in my kitchen.

I also 100% agree formica, that a homeless needs to want to turn their life around. If somebody is holding a sign, "will work for food", I'd love to be able to put them to work. But the gummint has made it difficult for me to do that. I'll explain later. Yes, I will hire a kid in high school on Saturday and pay him under the table as casual labor. Yes, I can legally do that, or so I've been told. However, I know this kid, and I know he's not going to say, "Oh my back, I hurt my back working for you." Then I have to deal with Worker's Comp. Gee, how fun. I would love to be able to give a homeless guy a chance, but I'll be honest that I'm a bit nervous about him playing the hurt back card after it's all said and done. Frustrating. The homeless needs to want to turn their lives around, but the government is making it any easier for others to enable them to turn their lives around.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I stand corrected! A big man can admit when he's wrong, and uhh, by the way I drive a small car :-)

anyhoo I didn't know there were tents like that on the North Shore; where exactly?

Was Pipe (Eukhai Beach Park) breaking when you were there?
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 05-18-2007 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member

it's JON....darrell

ha. nice nick.

btw..your name was spelled wrong on purpose.

mtbr member

looks like paradise. much better than the 15th/16th street underpass

yeah nick. i know all about the homeless, etc in hawaii

afterall, i do watch DOG

Last edited by garnetspur; 05-18-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Hi!!!
    afterall, i do watch DOG
    They did one show in the subdivision we stay at (Foster Village) off of Salt Lake Blvd. I was watching it one night and I'm like "Uhhhh....thats my Auntie's house they just passed".

They do a number of shows too where they bust folks in Waipahu and Kalihi. I keep expecting family members to pop up.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    are you Hawaiian Nick? am I totally clueless (Cary don't answer)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    They have rituals there where the homeless people tickle the naked fat people while wearing rubber gloves.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    where the hail do you fnd this stuff, dirk!!!

they surf big waves there too, real big - ahh, but not these guys in your pic

Hi!!!
    I'm like Gary and Al...just another flip in Idaho.

We just have alot of family over there spread out over Oahu, Kauai (go figure), Maui and the Big Island.

A looooong time ago way before I was born, my dad and other members of our extended family came over to work in the pineapple fields. Some stayed and thus began the migration of BelaySlave's extended family over into Oahu. Lots of cousins and aunts and uncles.

My dad OTOH didn't like it there cuz of the weather (jeez) and came back to the PI. Then he came stateside to pretty much work around the country as a farm laborer...California, Arizona (where I was born and still have family down there), east coast, etc. He didn't like Phoenix so he brought me and mom here.

I was getting home-away-from-home homesick so for lunch today I headed up to CK's Hawaiian BBQ and had chicken katsu!!! Mmmm!!!

The two main problems associated with Hawaii's homeless problem is:
    1) High cost of housing.
    2) Lack of decent paying jobs.

But then again that's probably the case for a number of other areas as well.

It's not uncommon to be in a solid middle class neighborhood on Oahu and see several generations of one family living under one roof. Throw in a mix of cousins in that house and it's packed!!!! I think that is why you see a number of builders on Oahu pack 5 or 6 bedrooms into a house that around here is like the run-of-the-mill 4/3 house built by Corey Barton.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Hi!!!
    I found this headline in the online version of the Statesman funny....
    Jury hung in prostitution case

Don't worry, be happy!
    Is that not a cultural thing also, many generation under one roof?

mtbr member
    Is that not a cultural thing also, many generation under one roof?
    yes... it's a pacific islander thing... "retirement homes" are virtually unheard of in the PI...

that and shoes...or in the case of flip and i...bikes.

not a chance for me

theres always jobs for people who want to work, like in 1933, and 1983, and in Germany, I wont get downsized or outsourced or laid off or thrown away like a piece of garbage, and if I do the government will take care of me with social security, my company would never screw me out of my pension, suppose i bang my head society will take care of me my insurance would never reject my claim, and if im disabled there will be no problem getting benefits, my wife wont ever leave me, I can always work, nobody needs to take care of me i can take care of myself, and im not taking care of anybody else those fking bums, bums are bad people, i am a good person.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    why is this so touchy? where has this gotten any of us? why do you feel so strongly about it? remember the first post when this was only a minor question? are we having a spelling b or something maybe a little too much blogging not enough riding

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I dunno. I think maybe some people feel uncomfortable when they see homeless people and fear some kind of distant possiblity of it actually happening to them; same way some people feel uncomfortable around a handicapped person.

Members who have read this thread: 0