Orofino, ID area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Orofino, ID area?

I found some vague information about mountain biking near Lenore (in the area), but no details. I can't seem to find anything about that area, is there any good riding near by? A lot of nice mountains in that area..

Don't worry, be happy!
    Sly, I have the best luck calling the district rangers for a particular district FS and talking to the recreation guy. Sometimes they have these crazy xerox'd trail guides that various rec guys have compiles over the years.

When can I ride?
    Nov 2006
    My in-laws live in Orofino and I've been scouting the area for trails, but I haven't found much. I've been wanting to ride the trail from Big Eddy Marina to Freeman Creek along the shore of Dworshak, just haven't had the chance. Seems like it would be lots of short ups and downs with some nice views of the lake.

There should be some nice trails in the area, there sure is plenty of vertical feet. The road riding is great if you are into that. Cavendish grade is a heck of a climb and the views from the top are great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

been a few years...

There is a road called three bear road, or little bear road. Anyway, it is something bear road. There used to be some pretty fun trails of of it there. They were multi-use and XCish, and I don't know of any maps except the USFS maps. It'll be HOT back there this time of year. Get back there and explore!
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Don't worry, be happy!
    sorta on topic. I was reading an article today that was talking about trails on the N Fk of Asotin Creek, have you checked that out yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Partially hijacked thread... (sorry)

The stuff on the Asotin Creek are good winter rides. I've never ridden them except during winter months. They are almost always clear, and rarely get muddied up so that trail erosion is an issue. But, they aren't super special in any way - personally, would ride elsewhere in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by formica
    sorta on topic. I was reading an article today that was talking about trails on the N Fk of Asotin Creek, have you checked that out yet?
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. My uncle has a cabin in the forest on top Cavendish grade so we go there often. As far as I can tell, all the trails near his place were made by logging companies or ATV's and are on Potlach or private land. Even though the scenery is great the single track seems non-existent so the biking real close by doesn't seem all that great. We did some scouting this weekend while looking for huckleberries (they are fantastic this year btw) and didn't see much. It's almost a shame such a great area doesn't have more hiking and biking trails. It WAS hot as hell there, so it was probably good we didn't go exploring on the bikes this time.

formica, we'll call the ranger, that is probably the most logical thing to do. The Asotin Creek trails get over grown with brush pretty bad in the summer and also have a lot of goat heads. Like mentioned though, they are pretty nice in the late winter/early spring when you are really getting the riding bug and Spokane is still froze over.

Only dead people are old
    Remember where you saw this article?

Quote Originally Posted by formica

Don't worry, be happy!
    Something in the Spokesman Review a few weeks ago. Possibly in a context about referring to ATV use in the area, possibly by Rich Landers, that's as close as I can recollect.

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by sly_foxx
    As far as I can tell, all the trails near his place were made by logging companies or ATV's and are on Potlach or private land. Even though the scenery is great the single track seems non-existent so the biking real close by doesn't seem all that great.
    Typical of this area - nearly all the "trails" are over-grown old logging roads, ATV trails, or old pack trails (singletrack) that ATV's have widened and essentially destroyed. Welcome to the land of fat and lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sly_foxx
    The Asotin Creek trails get over grown with brush pretty bad in the summer and also have a lot of goat heads. Like mentioned though, they are pretty nice in the late winter/early spring when you are really getting the riding bug and Spokane is still froze over.
    The upper N Fork Asotin Cr. Trail can be rather brushy, but recently the local Back Country Horsemen (BCH) and a very few cyclist have come together to cooperatively clear the trail and keep it open. The BCH maintain the trail from the top of N. Pinkham Trail to the trailhead and Scott from Ride-On Bikes in Lewiston nearly single-handedly keeps the S. Pinkham Trail and upper N. Fork trail open. Scott was up there this last weekend and says the trail is rideable at this time. And yes goatheads are a problem near the trailhead and the WA Parks people are working on it. There are also some very thorny trees/bushes up there in the lower trail area that can kill an unprotected tire in short order (personally I run tubeless tires with Stans and have never had a flat - lots of punctures, but no flats).

There are other singletrack trails in the Asotin Creek area that no one appears to use except me (this area is my closest playground with Moscow Mtn being the next). I've got one loop that is about 16-miles with lots of singletrack and AVT widened trails. Plus there are options for a loop that requires about 4-miles of gravel FS road to complete in the N Fork area. The S Fork also has some options. I also know of several old pack-trails (buff trails with lots of downfall) that need some serious chainsaw action, but I can not seem to find much interest in clearing these.

I've been itching to explore more down around Grangeville and up on the S Fork Clearwater. I've heard whispers that there is great some stuff down there, but have yet to find anyone that really knows (which means I may need to go and find it myself).

Don't worry, be happy!
    ooh, continue to post on what you find. My hubby boats all through that area, and I've been wanting to take my bike and do trails inbetween being the shuttle driver...

mtbr member
    Call Brodi bikes and ask for Bob the builders # he is the NW rep and he lives in Kamiah. I ride with him but his #s on my old I-phone so I have a small wait till I can retrieve it.
    Hes got some good stuff as well as knows a bunch out there!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Members who have read this thread: 0