Orchard 5 mile gulch start.- Mtbr.com
    Look out!

Orchard 5 mile gulch start.

How far past the start of 3 bears does the Orchard 5 Mile Gulch trail start? Are there signs? I did 3 Bears today and was wondering about the others as I haven't done them yet. Thanks in advance. BTW my beautiful bride made her first descent of the really rocky portion of 3 bears today, I am so proud of her! She usually will dismount and walk it but today she rode it like a pro!

Mark
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    about 2 miles past the 3 Bears entrance and congrats to the bride on doing the rock steps!

mtbr member
    I'd say it is closer to 1.5 miles. There isn't a sign naming it, but there is a step-over cow gate and I think there is a trail usage sign, but I'm not sure about the latter. It will be obvious when you get there.

mtbr member
    Also...

The 5 Mile Creek trailhead is only about 100 yards past the Three Bears trailhead. Ride past it if you're looking to make a loop. The Orchard Gulch trailhead is the next trail entrance on the left after 5 Mile Creek. Like Justen said, there's a brown metal step-over gate that was installed last year. If you're watching for it, it's hard to miss.

Orchard continues to climb off of Rocky Canyon Rd., and is at times steep. Once it levels off for about 1/2 mile or so, 5 Mile Creek (or the connector to it) heads off to the left via a downhill trail with a large switchback at the top.

Have fun.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Look out!
    Thanks for the input. We'll probably give it a go this weekend.
    Ride the bike.

Hi!!!
    What is the mileage from the top of Aldape to the start of Five Mile going along the Ridge Road? Trying to plan today's ride.

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    What is the mileage from the top of Aldape to the start of Five Mile going along the Ridge Road? Trying to plan today's ride.
    Nick
    Another 1.5 miles or so.

It will seem WAY longer than that. There is almost 1500' of verts in that mile and a half. Most of the climbing will be in the 1st mile. The losers on this group probably won't blink, but it is hella tough for a mortal like me. Once you reach the ridge, it levels out.

There is signage at the top of 5Mile, but not at the top of Orchard. Once you get to the ridge, there are multiple descent options. Some not documented. Have fun. Point your bike downhill and you'll end up back in Boise. Well, point it West,

Members who have read this thread: 0