October riding in Sun Valley/Stanley area?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,815

    October riding in Sun Valley/Stanley area?

    So, I'm looking at taking a vacation to the Sun Valley area from October 14-20 and need some advice. Obviously the accomidations right in Sun Valley are pretty spendy, but it might be worth staying there vs. Stanley because of the nightlife, proximity to riding, etc. Any recommendations on reasonably priced places to stay? What are the "must rides" in the area? We're willing to stray a little from where we're staying but we want to get the best bang for our riding buck, so to speak. Any advice recommendations, etc. would greatly be appreciated. Anybody want to ride that week? One last thing-which bike-my Strong 29er hardtail, my Sugar 293 fs 29er or my Titus Super-Moto FR with the Dorado and double ring setup?

    Thanks, Chad
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,197
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    So, I'm looking at taking a vacation to the Sun Valley area from October 14-20 and need some advice. Obviously the accomidations right in Sun Valley are pretty spendy, but it might be worth staying there vs. Stanley because of the nightlife, proximity to riding, etc. Any recommendations on reasonably priced places to stay? What are the "must rides" in the area? We're willing to stray a little from where we're staying but we want to get the best bang for our riding buck, so to speak. Any advice recommendations, etc. would greatly be appreciated. Anybody want to ride that week? One last thing-which bike-my Strong 29er hardtail, my Sugar 293 fs 29er or my Titus Super-Moto FR with the Dorado and double ring setup?

    Thanks, Chad
    Hailey is more affordable in SV and not as ritzy. We've stayed at the Hailey Airport Inn before and have been happy (plus, they're pet friendly).
    Must rides? If you have 6 days, you can do most of the rides. Some classic rides you can do in 1 day (such as Fisher Creek in the morning and Little Basin in the afternoon). My favorites are the trails off of Greenhorn Gulch, Mahoney Butte, Adams Gulch, Oregon Gulch, Fox Creek, Chocolate Gulch. Most of these trails you can combine for an ultra epic in the SV area.
    Since the riding in MT is a bit like the riding here, bring the bike you're most likely to want to do 5 or 6 hours on every day (in my case, it would be a trail bike and not the hardtail).

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544
    Couple of things.....

    Pick up the new "Mountain Biking in Sun Valley" book by Greg McRoberts....you can get 'em online through Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It's basically the same book as "Good Dirt" since it's the same author. Just a different publisher and layout.

    Second...if you can...get the Stanely/White Clouds and Sun Valley maps from Adventure Maps:
    http://www.adventuremaps.net/

    Couple of other online sources:
    http://www.bwbt.org/
    http://www.svguide.com/mtbike/

    Check out the Stanely rides on the Spudhucksters site:
    http://www.spudhucksters.com/picsand...html#anchor_16

    Also do a couple of searches for "Sun Valley" or "Stanley" in here. Over the past couple of months a number of us did some rides throughout the Highway 75 corridor from the Ketchum/Sun Valley area all the way up to around Stanley. Also...look around for some suggestiongs by "Earthpig" cuz he detailed a Ketchum epic several weeks ago for another poster.

    As far as the time of the year you're going....just all depends on what Mother Nature wants to do this fall, but you *should* be OK...moreso in the Ketchum/Sun Valley area and areas south...Stanley...ya' never know. Ehhh watch out for hunters up there too.

  4. #4
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,815
    Right on, thanks for the recommendations. I was hoping for a little more intel. but I'll take what I can get. It looks like we're staying at the Tamarack Lodge, it's in the middle of Sun Valley and is about the cheapest place I've found ($94 a night, 2 beds). I'll get the book ordered and hope for the best weather wise. The offer's still open for anybody that can get away during that week for a ride, just pm me.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Right on, thanks for the recommendations. I was hoping for a little more intel. but I'll take what I can get.
    El-Cid,

    There have been quite a few threads about rides in Sun Valley and Ketchum. Here are few:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=197474

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=213528

    http://www.mgrc.org/lisa/SV.html

    You'll be staying across the street from The Elephant's Perch outdoor shop. They'll have books like Good Dirt and some recommendations, as well.

    You'll also be near The Kneadery, which is a breakfast & lunch landmark.

    You'll be up there at a great time of year, assuming the fires are out by then.

    Have fun, I'll shoot you a note if I'm going to be up there around that time.

    HH

  6. #6
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    You'll be up there at a great time of year, assuming the fires are out by then.

    Have fun, I'll shoot you a note if I'm going to be up there around that time.

    HH
    Well, it's supposed to be snowing here in Montana by the end of the week, so I hope that puts the damper on all the fires in the area (Idaho included). Do drop me a pm or post the week or so before if you're available. We'd love to hook up with anyone for a ride. I'll even buy the post-ride beer .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.