Night riding in Boise...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Night riding in Boise...

Does anyone out there do it? Its to F'n hot to be riding during the day, and if you start early in the morning and end up riding for too long, you still melt...so I wouldn't mind doing some night rides....anyone interested in a tag-a-long?
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

mtbr member

Full Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Grind
    Does anyone out there do it? Its to F'n hot to be riding during the day, and if you start early in the morning and end up riding for too long, you still melt...so I wouldn't mind doing some night rides....anyone interested in a tag-a-long?
    The moon should be full in a week or so. I find that full moon night rides are the best. Sometimes you don't even need your light on if it is a clear night.
    BoiseBoy

mortman
    Aug 2006

Saturday nights

Some of my coworkers and I do a Saturday night ride. Ususally start at the "learning center" behind the lower parking lot on 8th. Usually start between 11:30pm and midnight. Won't be there this Saturday, probably next week though.

Usually climb Kestrel to Freeway, ride to the water crossing and bridge on Hulls and come back to the cars on Hulls for some beers.

Kind of a late start for most, but I will try to post before the next one. We have been doing the rides to beat the heat as well. Haven't seen a cougar yet this year.
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mortman
    Some of my coworkers and I do a Saturday night ride. Ususally start at the "learning center" behind the lower parking lot on 8th. Usually start between 11:30pm and midnight. Won't be there this Saturday, probably next week though.

Usually climb Kestrel to Freeway, ride to the water crossing and bridge on Hulls and come back to the cars on Hulls for some beers.

Kind of a late start for most, but I will try to post before the next one. We have been doing the rides to beat the heat as well. Haven't seen a cougar yet this year.

Count me in!! If you don't mind a tag along, I'd love to catch one of these rides with you. I'm down with the post-ride beers too! Post something on here, or send me a private message when you know you'll be going out again.

Anyone else do any night rides????
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd like to, but 11:30 is past my bedtime .

I'll probably do night rides in the Fall.
    Idaho

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Anyone else do any night rides????
    In the winter when it's cold, dark and dangerous is best.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I ride in the dark every day.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I ride in the dark every day.
    Visicypher is dark, dangerous and cold too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

?

Why play in the cat box when it is hot and sticky when there is nice cool riding above?

Night light it's for winter!

Since I don't have a visa to travel to Somalia...and insomnia is not an African nation...and I have been having bouts with it instead. I've been riding at 5:30ish am. It is not too dark...but it gets darker every day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Baa

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Since I don't have a visa to travel to Somalia...and insomnia is not an African nation...and I have been having bouts with it instead. I've been riding at 5:30ish am. It is not too dark...but it gets darker every day.
    Dude,

Since the insomnia you suffer from is most likely caused from the hellish place you call a livelyhood, I would think the flames from hell would light the way for your morning adventures.

You might also think about starting your day with milk in your latie and a spark arrester on the seat- blue flame black sheep - baa!

Your partner in hell!

May 2008
    I would like to join for a night ride! Love being out on summer nights!

mortman
    Aug 2006

Riding this coming Saturday night the 19th

Should be doing the usual SAT night ride around midnight in case anyone wants to tag along.

We park at the "learning center" in the lighted parking lot and leave from there and return there. Usually climb Kestrel to Freeway to Hulls bridge and down Hulls to cars.

Last ride for the first time in 15 SAT night rides, we had a BPD officer stop and give a Q&A about what we were doing. Just said he patrols there a lot and so do other officers and we might get a parking ticket for being in the area after dark. Kind of let it all go when we said we park there for the well lit parking lot.

1 out of 15 rides...and it gets patrolled a lot.....?

I'll post a note if plans change.

May 2008
    What would the difficulty level be on this ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strawflower16
    The route that he's describing is an easy ride...going up kestrel would be the most strenuous part of the ride, and that's no big deal.

mortman: I'll be there...sounds like a good time...beers afterwards right?

mortman
    Aug 2006

Si, Cervezas!

Also, the ride is not too bad. Kestrel is a good climb, if you usually ride flat loops. There is another steep short climb not too far after topping Kestrel. Then it is pretty easy to where Freeway meets Hulls. Coming down Hulls there are plenty of rocks that sneak up on you, worse if you do not have enough light. I suggest helmet mount and bar mount to see more. Some light set from a shopping center might not cover it.

I do not take Hulls much slower coming down at night than in daylight, or it just seems faster because of the darkness. The speed could get you without enough light.

If you have not ridden this in day light it, there might be some parts coming down Hulls that would be bad for a first time night time trail ride......My 2 cents.

Also, last ride on this loop I thought I had enought charge in my lights and found out before Hulls that I did not. Low light, or not enough light made it difficult, even following someone with "full power".

May 2008
    Okay, Thanks for the much needed info! Looking forward to it.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    You haven't lived until you've ridden Eastside by headlight. The trees seem to jump out at you and there are plenty glowing eyeballs to give you the willies.

The willies I tell you!

Ridge Road at night. Plenty of eyeballs peering at you. Occasionally, you'll hear the kitty.

King of the Barneys
    If you're not familiar with riding Hulls Gulch during the day...

riding it at night can be a little tricky, even with good lights.

I've ridden it on my fully rigid SS on a black night with just a bar mounted light and it was a wierd trip, light bouncing around like crazy--me trying to tell myself I was having fun.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

oops...
    I don't want to hear the kitty. Hearing the kitty costs around $100 (new shorts, new saddle, etc.)...

May 2008
    I will check it out before Saturday night. Looking at the map looks pretty simple to navigate. Is there another name for Freeway? Not seeing that on there.

oops...
    Crestline is the name on the map...

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgee
    I don't want to hear the kitty. Hearing the kitty costs around $100 (new shorts, new saddle, etc.)...

It's better to have somebody (Gary) email you pictures taken of the kitty, the next morning, showing you were at least within a quarter mile or closer to the kitty the night before.

Ended my solo night riding career, right there.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    If'n I see one more person refer to the grand and noble cougar as a "kitty," I'll retch. It's like calling Twisted Crank a three-toed sloth. Yes, accurate, but way too soft and sweet.

Kitty. Kitty. Kitty.

And Beetlejuice to boot.

May 2008
    One more quick question! Where is the Learning Center? Is that just the parking father in at Camels back?

mortman
    Aug 2006

I think it is called the "learning center"

It might be called something else. Drive up 8th St. and after it turns to dirt pull into the first parking lot on the right (approx 400yds after the dirt starts). When you pull into this lot pull all the way to the back side and there is a dirt drive that exits to the right and takes you 40 yds to the lighted parking lot with a light that turns on and off because the bulb is burning out. The "learning center" is next to the second parking lot.

I hope to be there between 11:30 and 11:45pm after I leave work and start riding by midnight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    You haven't lived until you've ridden Eastside by headlight.

Eastside?? I don't think I'm familiar with that one...does it go by another name?

May 2008
    You guys are freaking nuts!!! I dont know that I want to go down that trail in the daylight again let alone at night! I'll definately be there on Saturday though, ha ha!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Eastside?? I don't think I'm familiar with that one...does it go by another name?
    Only click this link if you have a fast internet. It's an 8MB file that will tell you all you need to know. Trail 120 is Eastside.
    http://www.cityofboise.org/parks/R2R/Shafer_butte.pdf

blet drive
    ya thats the spirtit go for it
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    You guys are freaking nuts!!! I dont know that I want to go down that trail in the daylight again let alone at night! I'll definately be there on Saturday though, ha ha!
    'steady as she goes' is the name of the game if you've never ridden a trail like that at night! Just make sure you've got your lights adjusted before you start heading down that one!

mtbr member

How was it?

Sorry I missed the ride!! How was it? I was really looking forward to it, but after I left the twilight criterium last night I was so tired that I just couldn't do it (got up at 4:30 yesterday morning!).

I'm hoping you'll do the ride again next Saturday....let me know if it's going to go again!

Hope you all had a good time!

plays well with cows
    im in but i need to replace my battery first

mortman
    Aug 2006

Night Train

The ride went well. No casualties, and a nice slow pace. Saw some field mice and some mormon crickets. GOOD TIMES!

There were 5 riders total. The usual two, plus strawflower16 and two guy friends of hers. GOOD ride and a couple GOOD Beers. I had most of my shmorgisboard of beers left at the end of the night. My buddy Will brought Sam Adams Black Lager and it was a treat.

Most likely doing it this coming Saturday also.

The lights of five riders were pretty cool looking riding along!

mtbr member
    Sucks I couldn't make it, sounds like it was a good time! Next weekend will be a for sure thing for me though. Make sure you post time and location again if anything changes! See you next weekend......

mtbr member

Riding Tomorrow?? (Sat. 26th)??

Hey Mortman....

Are you guys doing your ride again? I'll make it this time!

mortman
    Aug 2006

Same time, same place, same Bat Channel

We ARE doing the usual night ride tomorrow. It will be three for sure if you are there. I do not know if any of the extras last week will be there, kinda sounded iffy at best. Who knows maybe others will show up for a way past bed time ride. The more the merrier!.....to a certain point. After that it's just plain crowded.

Also, there will be a selection of cold ones again, I believe. I did not get home till 3am last week, but I live in Nampa.

See you there around 11:59pm on Sat. the 26th!

mtbr member
    Word.

mtbr member

Won't f'n make it...again

Mortman...

I hope you get this at work before you head off for the night ride. Dude...I don't think I'm going to make it again. Bad f'n timing...sorry. So, don't wait for me if I'm not there when you're ready to take off. SORRY!!!

mortman
    Aug 2006

Nite Brite is FUN!!

Glad you could make it SG. I think night riding after a whole day at Tamarack might have been overkill. I rode way more sketchy than ever. A lot less control when muscles don't work like they are supposed to.

Good pick on the Summer Honey!

Next week is out for me, but hope to be out there again soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0