Night Rides at Happy Jack?- Mtbr.com
    Black and Sticky

Night Rides at Happy Jack?

I will be visiting Laramie Sat thru Tuesday next week, mostly business, but some pleasure time reserved too. On the pleasure side, I've got a rental bike reserved at a LBS. In researching Laramie area trails, seems like the Happy Jack area is relatively close and somewhat popular. To maximize my pedaling time I am considering a night ride there also. What do you think? Is that an appropriate place to ride in the dark? If not there, then where? FWIW, I'm pretty much a B-level rider, approaching geezer status. I live and ride in Phoenix where night riding is part of the local culture as a way of avoiding the heat in summer. Thanks much for any local advice you can give me.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    From what I know, not many people night ride in Laramie, but Happy Jack would be the place to do it. There are a variety of trails up there. If you're not renting from the Pedal House (1st street, downtown Laramie), I would still stop there, get a map of Happy Jack, and ask them about which trails would be best for a night ride. The other LBSs will also know which trails are good at night, but they don't have good maps (that I know of).

Beware, the bugs are bad right now.

Black and Sticky
    Thanks Dauwalt. I am renting from a place called Fine Edge on north 4th Street. The guy I talked to (Mitch ?) seemed very nice and knowledgeable. Their selection of rental bikes seemed limited though. I ended up with some kind of f/s Intense 29er, which I guess is actually a pretty good bike. But I will look up the Pedal House and check them out for maps as you suggest. I never thought about bugs being a problem, appreciate the warning on that. I'll find some repellent when I get to town. Thanks again.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    The "A" trail at Curt Gowdy would be a good one for a night ride. Smooth winding singletrack that's usually pretty open so moonlight would help. Laramie LBS's don't have rentals, no tourists makes it kinda tough to justify. Mitch rented you his personal bike.

Tracking up the place
    night riding is fantastic on Happy Jack, Mitch will know the best ones. I personally like the Headquarters to the Browns Landing to the overlook ---Where you can see Cheyenne---, and then headback on Summit trail then left to the upper aspen.. Through Pole Creek and up through Te Siding trailhead to the upper UW loop then back to the car at the summit.. It's a hoot... Mitch is actuallly the one that got me hooked on night rides.. A badger on Lovers is the one that got me...

HAve fun.. Just be careful of Elk. I have run into a couple bull on headqaurters trail.
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Black and Sticky
    Yeah Mitch seemed like a cool guy. I thought it might be tough to rent in Laramie, but check out their web site: fineedge.net/rentals.html. I had been prepared to rent in Ft. Collins or even Denver but Fine Edge does advertise rentals. Actually they had a few more H/T and I was the one that insisted on F/S. I may change my mind and just go for the H/T when I get there. stpcrkr I will check out Curt Gowdy. I was thinking of Happy Jack on Saturday PM and Sunday and maybe Curt Gowdy on Tuesday. Haroow I will check out that overlook trail when it's for sure a day ride, probably Sunday. Your trail selection sounds great, I'll try that.

Elk!!! That's not usually a problem here in Phoenix. Rattlesnake, scorpion, gila monster, chuckwalla, coyote yes...Elk no. If Elk blocks the trail, I assume riding under them is not a good idea!!?? Actually there is a huge population of Elk in N. AZ, but I have only seen them from a car, never a bike. Those suckers are HUGE.

Thanks guys for all the great the info.

Bob

Members who have read this thread: 0