Newest "old" SS...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Newest "old" SS...

Well here she is... another Recycled Single Speed. I decided that I haven't been riding this Dean Jester that I had laying around (it's sort of my "loaner bike" when someone would visit) so it was conversion time... Total cost of the conversion was around $45 bucks. The Surly Singleator was bought from Twisted Crank (thanks dude!). Gearing is 34X18 (hence the name, Knee Buster). Fork is an old Judy with Englund Total Air. Wheels are handbuilt XTR rear and Nuke Proof Carbon for the front. Pedals are 747's. Brakes are XT, and levers are old cheap DiaCompes... Weight is around 20lbs maybe a little less... Maiden tomorrow...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Front wheel...

This wheel goes back to the Ringle, Cook Bros, days...

mtbr member

Rear Wheel

XTR... I was going to go with spacers and a BMX cog but Hore-Hays had these spacers, cogs and lockring package (forgot the company name, but it's a UK product) for $20 so I went the easy route...

mtbr member

Rear Wheel on..

with the Surly Singleator and chain... Gotta love breathing life to retired bikes...

King of the Barneys

that's beautiful..

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Well here she is... another Recycled Single Speed. I decided that I haven't been riding this Dean Jester that I had laying around (it's sort of my "loaner bike" when someone would visit) so it was conversion time... Total cost of the conversion was around $45 bucks. The Surly Singleator was bought from Twisted Crank (thanks dude!). Gearing is 34X18 (hence the name, Knee Buster). Fork is an old Judy with Englund Total Air. Wheels are handbuilt XTR rear and Nuke Proof Carbon for the front. Pedals are 747's. Brakes are XT, and levers are old cheap DiaCompes... Weight is around 20lbs maybe a little less... Maiden tomorrow...
    is that Dean a ti frame? Have fun, and take it easy on your knees for the first few rides
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

Steel baybeee...

No, it's not Ti... It's steel. It does have a pretty paint job but as you can see by the detail pics, it's not clear coated very well... Lots of chips. I've been pushing relatively big gears recently (part of my philosophy of maintaining strength in winter and not worrying about endurance) so it's a good time of year for the gearing that is on it... Not sure if I'll be taking it up on Ridge rides anytime soon however... hehe

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Go get some sleep

You've been wrenching way too much lately man.

I say we mash what's left of your knees with a march up something steep sometime soon.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

I'll be up for that...

Last Sunday's ride was awesome!
    Thanks again for selling me the Singleator on such late notice!
    I'm just hoping that the 34X18 isn't a mistake...
    G

Hoops - Big and Small

Gusset 1'er

WebCyclery link

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=248&page=1

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I'm just hoping that the 34X18 isn't a mistake...
    G
    Noone ever makes a mistake with a SS conversion.

What size chain are you using? Salsa chainrings are pretty cheap and a smaller chainring (32 tooth) might give you better chainwrap with that tensioner.

Ride it and see - if you can mash up Hulls and Sidewinder then you'll probably be ok.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 02-08-2005 at 09:24 AM.

mtbr member

Now I know why people run 32X18's...

I was standing up the whole time up Hulls... but luckily my knees didn't explode or implode (when you don't have ACL's, there really isn't anything to tear up). It made me think of getting a 32 front the whole ride up, until the top when I started thinking... "well, that wasn't too bad.." Obviously, I'll keep thinking that until the next time I climb... hehe
    I'm using a regular 1" chain (old Sachs/Sedis). I'll probably keep the gearing but will beging scrounging the local shop's used chainring bin for a 32 as a backup... I'm trying to keep to the "recycled" theme as much as I can.

mtbr member

nice ride!

You may want to try some wide riser bars to get away from the geared roadie aero position it looks like you have there, and if possible try to find a gear combo that allows you to use the singulator in the push up position.
    IMOH it works better in the long term.
    "The wheel is an extension of the foot." The Minutemen

mtbr member

Tweaks...

I started getting some skipping so I bought a new chain (SRAM SS). I also tried running the Singleator in push upmode per (Scrampy's suggestion) which worked fine for a ride then it died... Here is the story (and the fix)...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...595#post674595

Politically Incorrect
    I just converted an old beater to SS, and I couldn't get
    the push up mode to hold tension like I wanted it to either.
    I also followed Surly's smart assed instructions to the letter.
    I posted my fix in your previously mentioned thread on the SS forum.

mtbr member

Rennen Rollenlager

Well the modified Singleator will be going on the Klein SS... The Jester is getting this...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Gorgeous!!!

Flip - That's 1 b!tch!n' Dean. I love the ol' Dean frames - truly works of art. Now, go get a wider riser bar and a 32t front ring. Man, I like to hammer, but even I'm too much of a pu$$ to run 34x18!!

mtbr member

I'm in the market for a 32...

but I've been riding this sucker daily with the gearing that's on it and it's growing on me... Granted, I haven't done anything more than Hulls to Sidewinder/motorcycle parking lot... Corrals and Scotts should be do-able on this gearing but probably not a Ridge ride... It's getting easier and easier all the time.
    I did my riser experiment a few years ago when they came out and found that I did not climb as well on them... I might give it another shot with this bike since more upper body leverage is always nicer.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    but I've been riding this sucker daily with the gearing that's on it and it's growing on me... Granted, I haven't done anything more than Hulls to Sidewinder/motorcycle parking lot... Corrals and Scotts should be do-able on this gearing but probably not a Ridge ride... It's getting easier and easier all the time.
    I did my riser experiment a few years ago when they came out and found that I did not climb as well on them... I might give it another shot with this bike since more upper body leverage is always nicer.
    flippy likes it twitchy. told me so himself. we should give him lesson in basic fizzicks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Scrounging at the shops

Flipnidaho,

If you knees start talking to you on rides, you might think about putting a 20th on the rear. The 34 front 20 tooth rear is almost the same as a 32-18 combo - roughly 48 and 48.3 gear inches. You should be able to find a new cheapo cog for about 6 bucks. Who knows, maybe there is a cog sitting on a cluster in the junk pile at a local shop just waiting to find a new home! If you can't find the junker, IMT just ordered some new cogs.

Glad to see an old family friend and beautiful ride turn into the new steed!

Happy trails!

mtbr member

20T cog sounds like the economical way to go (since a new Salsa 32 ring costs a little less than $1 per tooth). Gotta save money where ever I can to make the retirement dollars stretch... I'll check with Pete to see what they have in the surpllus bin (plus I owe them a six pack for a hook up earlier this week anyway)... I may have to stick with the flat bars though... I think I put the "Old" in Old School setup...
    So far, no knee ache for these ancient legs... but a lower gear might be cool for longer summer rides (plus a 20T cog might be the magic gear for a no-tensioner drivetrain).
    G

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

34x19

So far, no knee ache for these ancient legs... but a lower gear might be cool for longer summer rides (plus a 20T cog might be the magic gear for a no-tensioner drivetrain).
    G
    My first SS ran a 34x19 combo and I loved it. When I "upgraded" from the ol' frankenbike frame (pictured) to a Redline Monocog, and thus added 2 lbs of frame weight, is when I went to a 32x20 set up. Heck, I wasn't even man enough to run 32x18 until this past summer. If 34x18 (or 34x20) works for you, keep on keepin' on!

Hoops - Big and Small

Ol' frankenbike

What dropout, tensioner combo did you have? Looks like the frame might have been a bit large?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

special ed

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    What dropout, tensioner combo did you have? Looks like the frame might have been a bit large?
    Regular vertical dropouts with a Surly singleator. Actually, the frame was truly a frankenbike. I bought on ebay. The seller said it was made of Ritchey Logic tubing, but didn't know who built it. It had some aspects of an old Specialized (seat tube ovalizing towards the BB), but some other weirdness about the frame ruled out Specialized. I went as far as to email photos of it to Sheldon Brown and even he couldn't figure out what it was. Might have been somebody's one-off home-build. I dubbed it "Special Ed." Anyway, it was a 19" on the seat tube, but the top tube was super, super short - under 23" - and it had old-school geometry. Very light for straight gauge steel - under 4 lbs. The top tube was very flat - nearly parallel with the ground when built up and sitting on a flat surface. I bought it for $90 and sold it on ebay 2 years later for....$90. Hope somebody is still riding it!

(Apologies to flip for hijacking his thread....)