New Trail....- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Trail....

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

New Trail....

What we will be working on in the future....a new trail. And just for Crashburn...no trail machines will cut it. We will cut it all by hand.

Hope everyone can make it out for the fun...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

think pink
    When's this fun that you speak of going to be happening?

Hi!!!
    I would keep an eye out on this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...13#post3096513

first round of fun begins this Sat. 5/26 @ 9am, but otherwise keep an eye on the thread that Nick referenced.

Hoops - Big and Small

Lovingly Hand Built

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    What we will be working on in the future....a new trail. And just for Crashburn...no trail machines will cut it. We will cut it all by hand.
    Hope everyone can make it out for the fun...
    There is a certain amount of pride of ownership that goes into a trail that is cut by hand -

Sharing your pride and joy can be contagious for future trail builders and create a sense of community among the users.

How about some trail signage

Hand Built Single Track - respect the land

Good Dirt Brother

mtbr member
    hand built..WTF... we need a kabota to build the mammoth water bars/launchers/speed controllers/huge mounds of straight up, no flow, poor placement..too many, way too many, dirt jumps that i've yet to see in a published trail building manual.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You know I have to say it!

Let the handjob begin!

Anyone willing to work up on the new trail this Thursday?

mtbr member

i'm in for thursday..

what time? i can cut out early from the office and i can take.....4 humans....multiple dogs...and 5 bikes.

gringo-fied facsimiles

lemme check my schedule......

my days off have been a little funky as of late, I will be there if i am off.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member

oops

i may not be available afterall. some old friends are driving cross country to cali...and may be here in boise that night. if so, i'm out for this week.

what kinda work is this al? where? how much work are we talking (hours wise)?

i'll get in touch with my traveling friends...and find out where they are, when to expect them, etc.

hopefully they won't be here until friday.

The work will involve bench cuts, and some raking. I estimate that the trail will take 80 hours of labor. As for the where, I'll save that privilege for all that work on the trail. It is the only thing I can repay volunteers with...that privilege. Everyone else gets to ride it after we are finished.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The work will involve bench cuts, and some raking. I estimate that the trail will take 80 hours of labor. As for the where, I'll save that privilege for all that work on the trail. It is the only thing I can repay volunteers with...that privilege. Everyone else gets to ride it after we are finished.
    Don't forget the Advil!

What we're experiencing is 920 meters of singletrack in the process of being birthed. I added some new dilations last weekend. This baby ain't no brownbagger. Here's a map showing you where it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

i'm in...

for this thursday. like i said, i can leave work early if that is an option for others.

Rocks Rock
    I get off work at 3pm on Thrusday. I'll meet yawl where ever and when ever after that.
    Am I being kind?

just a man

Confirm time & location please

Al - Meeting location and time por favor. I am going to do what I can to make this. Will post this and other trail days to my group board. Thanks.

cp

6pm Thursday at Highlands School or 6:30 at Entrance Exam.

mtbr member

tools?

what tools can/should i bring?

i'm bringin' the red dogs. how far of a ride in are we talking?

also, i'm willing to drive some bikes/people/dogs/tools up the mtn.

the hollow afterwards for pitchers of hippie shake and several bowls of fries with malt vinegar?

Vizsla friendly distance for sure. Make sure you bring a dog bowl. I'll have tools for 4 or so. If you must bring a tool, bring a Mcleod or garden rake. All we will be doing is clearing a 24" path in the forrest floor, aka grubbing and clearing to dirt according the the Forest Service Manual and the example section R2R has provided up there. We will NOT be moving dirt on Thursday, but will be doing the chain gang thing a and moving a lot of debris.

If we finish that, I'll show everyone the type of bench cut work that R2R expects.
    Last edited by Visicypher; 05-29-2007 at 07:15 PM.

let freedom ring!

Can I bring my 10 year old?

I would like to show up with my Daughter. Is this trail going to be easily accessible? Will we be riding to it? Is the school parking lot you speak of the one off of Bogus Road, I'm not to familiar with that area. Thanks.

Warren.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Rocks Rock

Before the fun begins.

Anyone want to go up early and get a ride in before 6:30?
    Am I being kind?

Hi!!!
    I can take a couple of people in my rig. I don't plan on bringing my bike though (suprisingly...I'm a bit burned out). I'll bring a garden rake.

Nick

No Bike???

I recommend bring your bike as it is faster to get to the worksite by bike...that and you'll get to spend more time working.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Don't forget snacks.

I can't make it - it's my turn to stay at home and warp all my lil childerens.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

energy
    How did the trail work go tonight? My son had too much homework (studying for finals), although we were interested in helping out! Sorry!

Hi!!!

Good job!

How come I can't load pix?!!?!?

There were five of us tonight. Not too sure how many feet of trail we put in, but we did a bit for a couple of hours. If Explorer and MTBR ever let me upload pix, you'd see what we worked on.

Check your pic size.

Nick, Buddha, and Garnetspur - Thanks a bunch for helping out. You guys put in some really good work yesterday. Meeker & I thank you.

Next days to work on that trail is June 7 and June 9. We will not be working on Gardiner Peak until we finish trail construction and maintenance in the Shafer Butte area. On June 7, meet at Highlands School @ 6pm. On June 9, please meet at Highlands at 8am (and yes, it is early, but it will be nice and cool outside for when we work). If anyone has questions, please PM me.

Hi!!!
    I'm hoping to be up there on the 7th....I'm assuming you guys will be in the same area? Will anyone be up there earlier like say 5:30'ish? I'll probably just head straight up there right after work. Hopefully I zig and zag at the right places unlike last night coming out .

Hi!!!
    Here are a couple of pix that I took:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/88C4AC5F3C3AC46

Wandervans

don't forget

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Here are a couple of pix that I took:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/88C4AC5F3C3AC46
    to cut your back slope, in these pictures you have a partial bench. It is important to cut your backslope, if not water will not sheet off of the trail correctly. I might be up on the 9th...

chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Chris - Duly noted. The sections behind the point the photo have the cut angles you talk about.

One thing I do have to point out....

This past fall and mid-winter agreements were made to allow volunteers to maintain and build trails as long as the trails were built/maintained Ridge to Rivers and USFS guidelines, and each crew was supervised by an accountable representative. Based on the agreements made with the USFS and Ridge to Rivers, please don't do any work on the new trail without having me, Meeker (aka Old Man Riding), or IrishBuddha with you. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated, and will go a long way towards the fostering of a relationship that will allow us to build new, more progressive trails.
    Last edited by Visicypher; 06-04-2007 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    to cut your back slope, in these pictures you have a partial bench. It is important to cut your backslope, if not water will not sheet off of the trail correctly. I might be up on the 9th...

chris
    I can't speak for Al, Dan or the rest of the crew but I don't think any of the crew were under the impression we were done with that section. My goal was to cut in as much trail with an 18 to 24" tread following the markers as four of us could do in the limited amount of time we had. One person was swinging the pulaski, two with McLeods, and one person racking. A fifth person was racking the trail tread on the old skidder trail. We managed to develop the basic form and tread of a trail over several yards in a couple of hours. If there had been another 3-people, may be we could have cut the backslope for better drainage, racked and tamped a solid tread. As it was, we seem to have a great system going with the limited number of people.

And boy did the beers taste great afterwards.

Looking forward to seeing more people out on future trail days.

Hi!!!

New question here.

FWIW....

This past Saturday, notably Ted Tokomuto and I, touched on the trailwork going on up around Bogus and the need for volunteers.

So between that, postings both on the bulletin board at REI and our website (the June 9th trailwork still lists Gardiner though...I'll get a hold of Silvia Cooper to update it), spamming of both the Idaho Outdoors Yahoo! Group and my group, the SWIMBA site (which could use some tweaking so that trailwork days are prominently displayed on the homepage), and of course the 103 forum here on MTBR....hopefully more folks show up.

I still plan on showing up this Thursday.

Any other ideas on how to spread the word and get more man/woman power or do you guys want to keep it small so it's more manageable?

Oh yeah....Jenny gave me the go-ahead so I can spam the BOMBB'ers on trailwork stuff .

energy
    Would bike shops allow a poster to be hung in their store window? Maybe even do a small flyer they could put on their counters? The other cycling groups (Spin Idaho, Community Bicylce Rides, etc) have websites that you could possibly post the dates/times. And last, since alot of biking groups meet at coffee shops to start their rides, maybe the coffee shops would also allow a poster to be placed in their window.

And you have some talented Graphics Artists in this group that I am sure would contribute their time to create such posters and flyers....

Your post is making me hungry for spam.

Nick - Are you the only one showing up besides me and Buddha?

just a man
    Now that the monkeys are out of school, I have a little more free time. I am going to try to make it up tomorrow too. Is it the same thing - meet at Highlands Elem? Confirm time and tools needed por favor.

Hi!!!
    Yup. No one else wants to join in on the fun!?!?!

As of right now I am planning on heading up there right after work. BUT...if the weather tomorrow afternoon ends up being like it was earlier today, I'll just bag it (yeah I'm a wimp when it comes to weather)....I'll just try to catch you guys on trailwork days after June 16th.

Oh...since I'm getting there early...I'm assuming it's the same area we worked on last week?

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Oh...since I'm getting there early...I'm assuming it's the same area we worked on last week?
    Nick - Let's try to hook up since I can get up there early too, you can be the guide.

Nick - Same area. Since you two are the only ones confirming. I'll head up early with Buddha. I'll be bringing more tools in for Saturday, so Craig just bring food, water, and work gloves.

Rocks Rock

I'm going

Al, what time is early? I can leave Boise about 4 or 4:30. I have no idea where the trail work is. If I'm to late for Al and Buda how bout Nick and Craig?
    Am I being kind?

just a man
    I was going to cart Belay (gets off work at 5) and flip up with me at 5:30. Confirming thsi whole thing's still a go with Visi at 2pm today....

Rocks Rock

Oh Yea

I have no idea what that green funk in the air was all about, but the six of us did get 62 yards of trail built. It was a blast hangin out with the biker buds.
    Am I being kind?

just a man

colon blow

Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    I have no idea what that green funk in the air was all about, but the six of us did get 62 yards of trail built. It was a blast hangin out with the biker buds.
    Yeah sorry about that fellas....

Good times last night!

Nuisance Odors

That is what we call it in the enviro field!!!

I recommend that u switch to a different kibble. Yowser, I think you chased away the demons!

That aside. 6 guys @ 3.5 hrs each = 21 hours of volunteer labor for over 150' of trail. You guys were definitely working hard at it. Thank you very much for the hard effort.

mtbr member
    busy time for me lately. i'll try to restructure my schedule and make the next go-round. thanks.

Rocks Rock
    Are we workin up there tomorrow?
    Am I being kind?

Hi!!!
    Dave....this is the email from SWIMBA....

Message from Al < [email protected] >, SWIMBA...

Help Develop and Build the Trail System around Bogus Basin!!!!

Shafer Butte Trail Work Days: Trail Maintenance and Construction

On Saturdays,
    June 9, 16, & 30
    July 14

Meeting place: Highlands School on Bogus Basin Road.
    Meeting time will be 9am.

Tools will be provided. Please bring work gloves, water, food, and your bike.
    Your bike will be your transportation from the trailhead to the worksite.

Contact Al for more info at [email protected]

Members who have read this thread: 0