New singletrack near Butte, MT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New singletrack near Butte, MT

Wanted to get the word out about 7 miles of brand new single track we (Land Tech. MT) built on the Continetal Divide. The tread is still pretty soft for the last 3 miles or so, but the more people that ride it the better it should get. The ride is XC up and down and not very technical at all, but should ride very roller coaster like. This would be choice for a single speed. The ride begins on the pass near Red Mtn. and is 18 miles from Butte off of Moose Cr. road. Take Highway 10 to Roosevelt rd. to Moose cr rd. Trail head is on the right at the pass where the road starts to drop down to I-15. Out and back it or loop it using the road. Go and ride it we'd hate for our work to go to waste! Enjoy!

jones'in
    Cool!! Thanks for the trail work *and* the heads up!
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Here's some pics.

Recipe for solitude--hit some unknown Montana singletrack midweek.

I finally got to this new bit of the CDT today and it was well worth it. Unfortunately, the trail is not as picturesque as it is fun--nor do I have the photographic touch. Rest assured, this is some exceedingly well designed singletrack. No, it's not very technical, but the trail has some great flow, so you can yank and bank at high speeds if you've got the cornering skills for it. There are also enough extended climbs so you can get a good workout. The only drawback is that, being so new, much of the trail is very soft, especially on some of the tougher switchbacks. The parts that are sweet are very sweet and the parts that aren't will be once the trail gets packed down a bit.

Anyway, here's the pics. Be advised--the pics don't even begin to do this trail justice. Get out there and see for yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

More details please

Since I don't know the lay of the land that well over there, I must ask for clarification. does this new section bend around to the east toward Toll Canyon, or go off to the northwest toward Beef Trail?

Apr 2007
    are there any all mountain type trails around butte? i might be making a trip there around march or april.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

I'm not a local but . . .

. . . I can tell you the trail veers away from the Toll Canyon trail. Instead of continuing souith on Highway 2 (the original e-mail says 10 but it's really 2) to Pipestone Pass (the source of the Toll Canyon trail), you grab Roosevelt Road until it turns into Moose Creek Road and bollow it to the top of the divide. Roosevelt/Moose Creek, like most mountain roads, wander a lot, but the general direction of travel is west. From the pass on top of Moose Creek you go right on the trail. From here, the trail generally runs North; Toll Canyon is to the Southeast.

Not being familiar with Beef Trail, I can't respond to that reference. The sign at the beginning said it was 7 miles to some other trail--it may have been beef trail, I don't recall for sure.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

towards Beef Trail

Sounds like it heads towards Beef Trail, which is the old Butte Community Ski Hill just past the dump. BT is a little north of the Continental Divide.

Sweet, it is on my list to ride next summer.

Members who have read this thread: 0