new montana bill prohibiting riding on roads without paved shoulder- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

new montana bill prohibiting riding on roads without paved shoulder

Hi All just received a note through warm showers about a bill

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2017/billpdf/LC2196.pdf

introduced apparently by Barry Usher who seems to own Beartooth harley davidson

If you look at the bottom of the Bill it outlaws
    bicycles, mopeds, and wheelchairs on 2 lane roads lacking a paved shoulder outside of municipalities

i can't imagine that its legal if passed but it would make almost all of the best road riding in the flathead illegal

I think the website is for real, its montana i sure have seen more stupid bills

Your Best Friend
    Old news and the sponsor of the bill has already pulled it. No worries.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    excellent -thanks- i'll let the warm showers person know
    my google fu seems to be weak tonight
    how long ago was it brought up?

Your Best Friend
    There's actually a lengthy thread on it in Road Bike Review.

Your Best Friend
    Here's an official statement from Rep. Barry Usher regarding LC2196. Please share this with everyone you know. Even though the draft bill is still on the legislative website, he will not be moving that forward as he indicates below:

"I want to update you on the exciting progress of Montana House LC2196! Since the bill draft had not yet been introduced, I have pulled it back in order to draft a bill that will address the concerns that I have heard from you.

My intent has and remains roadway safety and I appreciate all of the great feedback, ideas and suggestions I have received to improve safety for bicyclists and pedestrians. I am currently working with Bike Walk Montana, Cycle Greater Yellowstone and other bicycle advocacy groups in a positive direction to re-write this proposed bill, with NO BICYCLE OR PEDESTRIAN RESTRICTIONS.

At this point, we do not have any specifics we can share but will soon. We believe that this great group of safety minded advocates will come up with something to further enhance bicycle and pedestrian safety in the great state of Montana."

Barry M. Usher
    Representative
    Montana House District 40

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    nice,
    sounds like he got an earful
    thanks again

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was surprised to see this mentioned on last night's KTVM news with no mention that he's pulled the bill. Our local NBC affiliate was scooped by RBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    interesting that he got enough feedback to change it before most of us even knew the bill existed

I actually sent him a note through his website thanking him, i figure that saying he had made a mistake was hard and agreeing to work with cycling advocates is the kind of compromise that we don't often see these days, particularly in a place like the MT house where 1 party dominates (of course Bullock is a dem)

Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised to see this mentioned on last night's KTVM news with no mention that he's pulled the bill. Our local NBC affiliate was scooped by RBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    interesting that he got enough feedback to change it before most of us even knew the bill existed
    I wonder if it was the amount of feedback or who it from. It sounds like a couple well credentialed folks educated him on the potential economic damage from his bill.

Update from Melinda Barnes, ED Bike Walk MT:
    Hi all-

Barry Usher is now my new best friend and were working together, exploring other options for a bill draft, including the possibility of establishing a state bike/ped board, instead of a bill to restrict bicyclists and pedestrians. Hes trying to set up a meeting with someone at Commerce for us to talk with and hes drafted a public statement were finalizing to send out far and wide. It has taken a very positive turn!!

HB-267 is being heard tomorrow afternoon. It is really, really important that you send word through all of your networks urging people to contact the members of the committee. Here is an easy link where people can email all of the committee members at once. Contact a Montana Legislator

HB-225 (the funding bill) is scheduled to be heard by the Local Government Committee Thursday at 3pm. If you or someone you know are able to come and testify, please let me know. It is always good to have people outside of Helena come.

Melinda Barnes
    Executive Director
    Bike Walk Montana
    PO Box 584
    Helena, MT 59624
    406-449-2787
    [email protected]