Need suggestions for a MTB trip outside of Idaho- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Need suggestions for a MTB trip outside of Idaho

Good afternoon folks ---

Well I'm currently in the process of trying to plan out my 2005 trips. One thing I would love to do is MTB in another state for a long weekend (3-4 days).

Here are my criteria:
    * Must be within a days drive of the Treasure Valley. After about 6 hours of driving I tend to go nuts, but I can do 8 hours with adequate rest, and MAYBE 12 hours, but that is really pushing it.

* I'm not a strong rider nor do I own a very expensive dualie. I'm looking for moderate/easy intermediate XC trails (think along the lines of Military Reserve/Corrals/Freeway/Sidewinder type of stuff) somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 miles per day.

* I'd like to stay at a campground.

* I'd like to do this in the summer.

* What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Nick

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Bend Oregon meets your criteria

Bend, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    * Must be within a days drive of the Treasure Valley.
    Bend is about a six hour drive

* I'm not a strong rider...
    There are some great intermediate trails there. Descutes River, Swede trail come to mind. There are plenty of locals and good LBS's there to tap into local knowledge.

Plenty of campgrounds in Deschutes National Forest.

Plus it's a great change of pace from the Boise summer: most of the trails are in the forest!

Take pictures!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Wandervans

you can't even get out of some parts of idaho in six hours

There is all sorts of places in Idaho that are six hours away or closer, and are probably better than traveling out of state. You could ride in the pocatello area, driggs/jackson hole, south of twin, or go up to northern Idaho also. I would visit some more of the closer in places first, I think you will find them just as fun. Montana would aslo be a good option either missoula or bozeman. I enjoy bend, but I am always disappointed when they have me riding throught clearcuts or along clearcuts. I did this great ride north of bend called survior ridge, it was 20 some miles of singletrack but it was such a bummer to be riding along this amazing trail to then pop into a clear cut. Lots of good rides in Oregon, but it always seems like the most scenic trails are closed to bikes.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

SingleTrackSal
    BelaySlave, say have you ever climbed with SuS of Asana? Just curious.

Anyhow, North Idaho is seven hours from Boise and awesome in the summer, usually in the low 80's. We've got lots of great singletrack up here, without as much climbing as the Foothills. You could use Farragut State Park as a base camp (it has roughly 20 miles of flowing singletrack that's a blast) and then just range around, head up to Sandpoint, over to Newport/Oldtown. Etc.

PM me if this interests you as I can give you all the details. Whatever your decision, hope that it's stellar!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

lots of options

Hey Nick, here are my ideas for an out of state riding experience:

Tahoe area - I've ridden there some (both up by Truckee and down by South Lake Tahoe) and it should meet your criteria.
    Salt Lake/Park City - I've never ridden either place, but I hear tell that Park City has some great riding. Not sure about camping, but I would assume that there have to be campgrounds nearby.
    I'll also throw in another vote for the Bend area. Rode near there once, and had a blast. I do hear that the trails get very sandy by early summer, though.
    Of course, there's always Moab. 9 hour drive, great camping, and fun riding, even if you don't consider yourself a great rider. I went there not too long after I started riding a lot and had great fun on an aluminum hardtail with a 3" suspension fork. Moab will force you to get better on your bike. Two or three days in Moab and you'll be bored stiff with the foothills stuff when you get back.
    If you want to stay in-state, I HIGHLY recommend the trails in and around Hailey, Ketchum, and Sun Valley. Some of the best singtrack in the state and nothing too technical. Good camping nearby and it's only a 2.5 hour drive away.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    BelaySlave, say have you ever climbed with SuS of Asana? Just curious.
    Yup off and on throughout the years, but I don't even have 1/1000th of his climbing ability.

I usually see him the most at the BSU climbing gym and sometimes at the store.

-----

RE: Trips in Idaho

Oh definately I will be doing a decent number of camping/MTB'ing trips around here...namely McCall and the Stanley/Wood River Valley areas. MTB'd around both areas last summer and loved it.

I've been an Idaho resident for over 25 years and I really don't travel much each year, so I figured I'd take at least one out-of-state camping/MTB'ing trip this summer outside of Idaho. The rest of my spring/summer/fall will be spent enjoying Idaho.

------

So far several votes for Bend. Since I trust everyone's judgement...I've already entered this on my Palm. Now it's just a matter of time for summer to get here and for me to start planning for it.

I just don't like the idea of driving through Oregon and having to be careful about my speed limit.

Thanks everyone!!!

Nick

mtbr member
    If you go to Bend, drive a little further and ride McKenzie River trail- one of the best trails around and there's great camping all over there. Salt Lake/Park City has great trails, look for the Mid Mtn trail in ParkCity, or the Wasatch Crest trail if you want more climbing. Of course SunValley is closer and you could fit in two more rides instead of two days driving!

King of the Barneys

Wink Another Idaho suggestion....

Good afternoon folks ---

Well I'm currently in the process of trying to plan out my 2005 trips. One thing I would love to do is MTB in another state for a long weekend (3-4 days).

Here are my criteria:
    * Must be within a days drive of the Treasure Valley.

After about 6 hours of driving I tend to go nuts, but I can do 8 hours with adequate rest, and MAYBE 12 hours, but that is really pushing it.

* I'm not a strong rider nor do I own a very expensive dualie. I'm looking for moderate/easy intermediate XC trails (think along the lines of Military Reserve/Corrals/Freeway/Sidewinder type of stuff) somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 miles per day.

* I'd like to do this in the summer.

* What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Nick
    Here are my thoughts:

First, it's hard to find good riding in the summer where it's cool enough to enjoy it. An exception is usually the higher altitudes.

Thus, I recommend you consider camping somewhere near Stanley or just south. My family likes Redfish and Stanley lakes, but kinda crowded in the summer. Never that hot, the nights are cool, and the riding pretty awesome.

Fisher/Williams, Elk Mountain, and Basin Creek are all great rides very close by. Then you could drop down to SV for some epic singletrack.

None of it is necessarily that difficult. The climb up to Aztec Mine on F/W is a bit of a grind, but definitely doable and worth the little bit of effort. But very scenic.

If you're going in the summer, Moab and Bend can both be very, very hot.

The only other alternative I'd recommend without giving it more thought would be an 8hr drive to Mt.St. Helens and Mt. Rainier that are adjacent to each other, much cooler in the summer, and have lots of great, breathtaking-scenery type riding to easily fill 3 or 4 days.

just 2cents for the cause....
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    May 2004

2nd that

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    HIGHLY recommend the trails in and around Hailey, Ketchum, and Sun Valley. Some of the best singtrack in the state and nothing too technical. Good camping nearby and it's only a 2.5 hour drive away.
    With Kethcum and Sun Valley so close, so incredibly scenic it's on top of the list
    Ride Greenhorn gulch, you can just stop climbing when you like, or connect routes together. I reccomend getting the book "Good Dirt II".

I can't wait to get back over there and do more epic rides like that Imperial Gulch ride
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

Don't worry, be happy!
    what about BC? Nelson and Rossland areas have lots of cool stuff, whether you are into xc epics, or triple black diamond shuttle trails?

formica

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As for Earthpig's suggestion about Tahoe, I think the altitude would kill him and there is just so much climbing, plus early summer can be muddy and snowy in parts. But if I presume incorrectly about the poster's fitness, Tahoe is fun.
    Last edited by danK; 12-31-2004 at 10:43 PM.

King of the Barneys

Cool-blue Rhythm Would they let him

Quote Originally Posted by formica
    what about BC? Nelson and Rossland areas have lots of cool stuff, whether you are into xc epics, or triple black diamond shuttle trails?

formica
    join you at your summer Skills/Dirt Camp?

Would either location be cool enough in the dead of summer? I remember mycouple of visits to BC in the summer as quite hot unless you got up high.

(ps, talk to you later about this summer's annual epic, etc.)
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Don't worry, be happy!
    Can't say for sure about the weather but you are further north. Rossland is a lot higher than let's say, the Okanogan.
    As for camp, that's girls only except for the coed version.

Rossland is pretty cool. How many communities do you know of where "main trail builder for developing mountain biking" is one of the government jobs you can have?

http://www.rossland.com/Seedo/bike.html

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/recreation/?id=106

http://www.canadatrails.ca/mtb/mtbbc.html

just ideas, thinking out of the box, ya know...

formica