Need some trails for a road trip.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Need some trails for a road trip.

Hey all. Going to be coming into Idaho from Oregon on a MTBing trip with a buddy of mine sometime in June I think. Our destination for Idaho will be Ketchum and from there I think we are going to head due north and see Glacier then come south scurting the mountians into Yellowstone and from there not sure yet, maybe all the way to Colorado, maybe just Utah.

Anyway, any help on some good trails would be greatly appreciated. I have been through the trail reviews at MTBR and I remember there being a trail new Ketchum that got some attention in BIKE a few months ago. So if nothing else we will seek out the ones with good reviews. Is there any riding to be had near Glacier or Yellowstone, or at least en route? I think we are going to keep our schedule kind of loose and kind of shoot from the hip, but any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot everybody.

Droog
    "...the principal of least action requires that utility and beauty be combined."

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Ketchum rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Droog
    Hey all. Going to be coming into Idaho from Oregon on a MTBing trip with a buddy of mine sometime in June I think. Our destination for Idaho will be Ketchum and from there I think we are going to head due north and see Glacier then come south scurting the mountians into Yellowstone and from there not sure yet, maybe all the way to Colorado, maybe just Utah.

Anyway, any help on some good trails would be greatly appreciated. I have been through the trail reviews at MTBR and I remember there being a trail new Ketchum that got some attention in BIKE a few months ago. So if nothing else we will seek out the ones with good reviews. Is there any riding to be had near Glacier or Yellowstone, or at least en route? I think we are going to keep our schedule kind of loose and kind of shoot from the hip, but any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot everybody.

Droog
    Droog - Ketchum area trails are a good choice. I think the one profiled in BIKE was "Imperial Gulch," but I've never ridden it. I have ridden Greenhorn Gulch, Mahoney Butte, Red Warrior Creek, Adams Gulch Trail, Adams Gulch Loop, Fox Trail, Chocolate Gulch, Oregon Gulch, River Run to Warm Springs on Baldy via the singlespeed, and a bunch of others. All of those were lots of fun. In fact, I can truly say I've never had a bad ride in and around Ketchum. Your best bet is to buy or borrow the book "Good Dirt II" because you won't get trail help from the locals up there. Some buddies and I looped Adams, Fox, Chocolate, Oregon, and some others together a couple of years ago for about a 30 mile single-day tour of Ketchum singletrack. Let me know when you're coming to Idaho and I may be able to take the day off and go ride with you up there. (That, or stop over in Boise on your way and we'll ride.)

mtbr member

Fisher Creek

Maybe the trail they were talking about in the mags was Fisher Creek (always a popular choice in the SV/Stanley area but NOT the only choice).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wandervans

Plenty of riding around Idaho and Montana

The best thing to do would be to buy the FS maps for the areas you are driving throught, since the guide books for this area are very limited. We have over 10k miles of singletrack in this state so you can be assured to not get bored. A good sense of direction would be helpful too! If you like a little adventure then Idaho and Montana are good states to ride, otherwise you might want to go to utah since the guide books are vastly more detailed and have more info. If you came throught boise we could mark up some good rides on your maps too, plus we have stellar riding here in Boise too.

PS - Imperial Gulch is not even on my list of top ten rides for Idaho.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Route?

Have you decided on a route yet? It may help us send you to rides on your route...
    What highway are you taking north, 95, 93, 15?

As others have said, ID and MT are fine places to ride.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    May 2004

I could tell of some good trails....

but then I would have to kill you. Seriously, a good way to start is by getting Forest service maps and looking for trails that start at a pass and descend. These you almost always have to shuttle unless your unafraid to hitch hike, which isn't uncommon in these parts. I would also recomend, if your in the Missoula area, the Rattlesnake Recreation area. Lots of beautiful singletrack that is mostly the domain of the cyclist, maps at the trailhead.
    Have fun,
    James

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Alright, this is what I got so far. Still tentative, but probobly go sumtin' like this:

Into Idaho via 84
    Probobly stop in Boise (look up SmileyCook )
    Head down 84 a bit further and one way or another get up to Ketchum, 93 I think?
    Spend some time in Ketchum
    Head north on 93 to Missoula (Rattle Snake Rec.)
    Head up to Glacier, see the sites
    Back down to Missoula and then 90 to Bozeman
    89 south from Bozeman to Yellow Stone
    Down to the Grand Teton somehow

From there I am not sure, either Colorado,Utah or home. All will be dictated by how much time spent at various places along the way and fundage.

What do you guys think? The main stops will be Boise, Ketchum, Missoula and Yellow Stone and then whatever else happens in between and after.

Thanks alot for the feed back this is great. Oh and I will definately post when exact dates get figured out, maybe join up with you fine folks for a ride or two.
    "...the principal of least action requires that utility and beauty be combined."