Need a ride buddy - Kalispell- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Need a ride buddy - Kalispell

I'm in town next week Wed - Sun and looking to do at least one big ride. I have my eye on the Alpine Trail #7 from Strawberry Lk. TH north to Columbia Mt.. I'm free for an all day ride on Thursday or Saturday. Anyone up for it?

Cheers,
    Geary
    Last edited by XGearyX; 07-22-2007 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would be up for it ,but out of town- rarely hear of people doing that section-usually the ride seemd to be from napa point north. Another ride you might want to consider -is Reid creek- 1 part reid divide,1 part bill creek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Threepin, Sorry I missed you. Maybe next year.

Although the description of the N section of the Alpine Trail caught my eye on the Glacier Cyclery site (http://www.glaciercyclery.com/rides.html), I'd be up for anything.

mtbr member
    Strawberry Lake to Columbia Mountain is a good one at about 25 miles. Id do it with ya but Id probably die, most almost do. Its a real grinder. Ive done almost every section at one time or the other but never the whole thing. I ususally go up Peters Ridge and out Strawberry Lake..... Or go up Doris Creek and out Strawberry Lake. Both rides need a shuttle though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    kanter, I suspect with the heat and altitude I'd also die on that ride.
    I'd do one of the other loops if you are up for it. I can ride Thursday or Saturday.

I got in today and rode 15 miles out at the pig farm before dinner. It was a blast I found some trails I hadn't ridden last year when I was out. I also ran into Pat out there who showed me some other fun stuff. Thanks Pat!

Earlier in the day I spoke with Mike at Glacier Cyclery and he suggested doing a combination of Reid Divide and Bill Creek. My current plan is to do that tomorrow. He also suggested that Broken Leg at the south end of Jewel Basin as a fun out-and-back to the Alpine Trail. If I can't find someone to shuttle with I'll probably do that on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Im working till Sunday. I cant make it. If you need directions let me know. PM me and Ill give you my number. You could also ride up to Strawberry Lake and back down. I live close to the trailhead.

My favorite loop is up Peters Ridge and out Strawberry. It can be done without a shuttle...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Kantor, would like to ride the Peters Ridge to Strawberry loop with you. Am in VT till wednesday so would possibly be able to ride next weekend. I am located in Woodsbay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

I lived to tell

I made it out to Reid Ridge today and rode hard. I ended up racking up 34 miles with 24+ on single track.

I took the advice of Mike at Glacier Cyclery and started at Reid Creek road. I road the Talley Mtn trail up to trail 800 and then on up to the top. I jumped on the Bill Creek section of 800 and road that to the bottom. At that point I was 14 miles in and pretty wiped out, but the thought of finishing this great ride with a long gravel road decent motivated me to climb back up to the saddle on the road. It almost killed me. It was ninety something degrees and I was spent. I rested a while at the top before trying to tackle the initial climb back up the Reid Ridge trail. I ended up having to hike-a-bike more than I should have, but once I hit some of the downhill sections, some of my strength returned. After passing Talley Mountain I took the Talley Gorge trail (#294) back down to 313. Mike had suggested I not ride up 294 and I'm glad I took that advice. It was a great ride down. Thanks for all the tips Mike.

All in all it was 34 miles in 6 hr 40 minutes. I drank the last drop of the 120 oz of water just as I popped out of the last trail. I saw two bunnies, two dear, one bear ass, one elk tail, and one unidentified tree scrambler (it will be a cougar next time I tell the story).

Self portrait near the top of the Bill Creek trail

Geary

[added photo]
    Last edited by XGearyX; 07-26-2007 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Up the gravel road and down 800 to 801 is a good one too. 801 is the best trail out there. Once you get to trail 800, its all downhill. Im on a 43 lb Foes Fly so Im slow on the up sections.

Mike knows his trails. That guy has ridden every trail in the valley.

Im leaving on vacation to Whistler next week on Wed, WYLYMAN. Ill be back Aug 13.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    rode reid creek (divide/bill creek) last sat. -the ridge top section rocks- The Glacier boys know a lot of stuff about the area. might be able to ride tmw

Members who have read this thread: 0