Need advice please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Need advice please

on roadbike.
    does anybody know Bill Reed?
    I was thinking i don't really want the Diamondback podium bike. I want either a full ultegra bike, or a bike that is at least 105 but has a really good frame, like the new Cannondale Synapse, or just a really good Trek, Specialized or Orbea, etc.

Reeds has 2K I gave them. Do you think it's fair if I ask him for say $1500 back and let him keep the rest for the trouble or "restocking fee"? The only other option is letting them keep the entire amt and then me ordering an 07 dirtbag again in spring when I can, but then I might not be able to have a road machine to train on for fall and winter, and I already have people and a group to ride with for fitness and training

thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    on roadbike.
    I was thinking i don't really want the Diamondback podium bike. I want either a full ultegra bike, or a bike that is at least 105 but has a really good frame, like the new Cannondale Synapse, or just a really good Trek, Specialized or Orbea, etc.

Reeds has 2K I gave them. Do you think it's fair if I ask him for say $1500 back and let him keep the rest for the trouble or "restocking fee"? The only other option is letting them keep the entire amt and then me ordering an 07 dirtbag again in spring when I can, but then I might not be able to have a road machine to train on for fall and winter, and I already have people and a group to ride with for fitness and training

thoughts?
    Tell Bill you don't want the DB, and have him special order another roadie for you... call him up and ask him what he can get...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gary,

he is a dealer for Diamondback and Raleigh only for roadbikes. If Yeti made a roadbike I'd be all over it!

mtbr member
    Gary,

he is a dealer for Diamondback and Raleigh only for roadbikes. If Yeti made a roadbike I'd be all over it!
    I understand that... but he can more than likely special order other brands (although he's not a dealer). i've done that before with other LBS...

Aug 2004
    Why is wrong with the DB roadbike?

Just to make sure...you already paid $2,000 for the roadbike?? Or is the $2,000 from the Transition?? Do you still have your Turner?

If Reed's has QBP as a supplier...for road bikes you can get Salsa, BMC and Surly roadbikes. I think there are a couple of other road bikes that QBP carries, but I haven't flipped through the book in a couple of months. But I really think it's all up to the shop as to what they will do for you. It could be entirely dependent on the agreements they have with Raleigh and DB as to what else they could sell for roadbikes.

If the $2,000 is for the roadbike and you have yet to take delivery on it, I'd be straight up honest with Bill. Tell him your situation and pray that he is understanding. That whole shop seems very honest and whatnot. But don't forget that it is a business and they need to put food on their table for their families just like you. I'd tell Bill that you no longer want the bike and to put it up for sale for what he wants to and after he takes his cut and recoups his costs, to give you the rest....errr I think. Not too sure how that would work in other businesses and situations.

Man...we need to find you the perfect bikes!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    on roadbike.

thoughts?
    Did you special order a Dirtbag, back out, tell him you wanted a roadbike, he is getting it and now you don't want the Podium roadbike but you want a different roadbike for whatever reason, and if all works out it would be a roadbike he can special order? I wonder what Bill is thinking about ordering Bike #3....

Here's what I see: you do not want the DB Podium for whatever reason (is it name/marketing, you have buyer's remorse, someone talked you into something else...), but you want a roadbike for fall and spring for fitness and training. Those are facts, right?

Bill can order other bikes but I pretty much know they will cost more than the DB.

Is this a monetary issue? I presume you're willing to fork over a bit more than $2000 for an all Ultegra bike or more hyped frame. Tell Bill you want to apply the $2000 toward a such-and-such bike that QBP sells. Be prepared to eat the shipping on the Podium.

My ending thoughts? Not to be anything other than helpful..... I think it's easy to get caught up in the hype of having a roadbike to get in better shape to go from a back of the pack in whatever class to the middle or front. I think it's fun to go on group rides in the winter and be part of a social setting and thinking about how much better riding the mtb will be next spring and summer.
    I also think it blows to have an expensive roadbike sitting inside on a trainer when you realize riding in 30 degrees with a bunch of guys who are no longer talking to you because they have snotsicles hanging from their miserable faces, and that you should have taken up running or ridden your mountain bike in the desert or spent some time in the gym, and when all is said and done, you could've saved yourself a lot of hassle and saved the dealer a lot of hassle.
    Last edited by danK; 10-25-2006 at 08:11 AM.

gringo-fied facsimiles

Daryl.......

I hope this doesnt come across as rude.... it isnt intended to. I think you need to sit back and take a deep breath........and exhale.....whew. What do YOU want, will YOU really ride the road bike? I dont think it is right for you to ask Bill for the money back after you strung him along for so long, he was very patient with you, far more than he had to be, db and raleigh make a good bike, I would hope you would support him and what he sells after all this. just my 2.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes I know; he was/is very nice to me. I won't ask him for anything back. I'll probably get back in there and make sure that DB fits me really good. If it does I'll take it - it seemed to fit pretty good but I was on my street clothes. I'll go in with my road shoes this week and have them raise the bar up a bit and see how it feels. I know they're good people and not trying to cause them any trouble. He knows I know that

Aug 2004
    Daryl --- which Podium are you getting? IIRC...you're getting a full carbon bike right? So you're getting either the Podium 5 or 6 correct? 2006 or 2007? I'm no hardcore roadie...I just ride a lower end Scott Speedster...but what is wrong with the Podium??

IMNSHO, both dan and surly did bring up a couple of good points. Will you be able to get your $2,000 worth out of the bike? I mean....will you be riding it the way it's meant to be ridden year round? Or will it play second or third fiddle once you settle on another bike post-Turner 5-Spot.

How long ago did you get your Transition? Was it June when you got the frame? Didn't Reed's keep it for a while though? Is it still there??

mtbr member
    get a cyclocross bike dude. road biking sucks. and we don't need anymore of you roadhogs on hill road

mtbr member

get the cross check..or get a snowbike:

pugsly! go ride ridge road in the snow.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nick, 06 Podium 4, Full Carbon. When I first moved here in April the snow was going away and I started doing quite a bit of road riding, found Lactic Acid club and have a freind who rides a lot of road so it will get used!

the DB, yeah it is still there since like June. I might order one again, paying up front this time if I can, come spring, next summer.......it's all good

just a man

Or......

Get a dj bike from Reeds (Transition Trail or Park???): you can rail the Treasure Valley pumptracks, hit up Willow Lane and Ussery, and probably Rock Islands and Bogus stunts.

And I am with Garnet, if you must go skinny tire'd get a cross bike - at least you could hit the dirt up on that thing. That Pugsley looks waaay fun too - does anyone here in Boise own one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Click the heels

Try clicking your ruby slippers three times and saying," there's no place like home ..."

If that doesn't work, get the DB and ride it all winter and trade/sell it in the spring if you don't like it.

mtbr member
    Yeti used to make a road frame. Did they stop? The Raleighs are nice road bikes too. I don't know anything about the Diamandbacks.

Call Bill and talk to him and see what he'll do for you.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    In mathematics, 0.999 is a recurring decimal exactly equal to 1. In other words, the symbols '0.999' and '1' represent the same real number. Mathematicians have formulated numerous proofs of this identity, which vary as to their level of rigor, preferred development of the real numbers, background assumptions, historical context, and target audience.

The equality 0.999 = 1 has long been taught in textbooks, and in the last few decades, researchers of mathematics education have studied the reception of this equation among students, who often vocally reject the equality. The students' reasoning is often based on an expectation that infinitesimal quantities should exist, that arithmetic may be broken, or simply that 0.999 should have a last 9. These ideas are false with respect to the real numbers, which can be proven by explicitly constructing the reals from the rational numbers, and such constructions can also prove that 0.999 = 1 directly. At the same time, some of the intuitive phenomena can occur in other number systems. There are even systems in which an object that can reasonably be called "0.999" is strictly less than 1.

That the number 1 has two decimal expansions is not a peculiarity of the decimal system. The same phenomenon occurs in integer bases other than 10, and mathematicians have also quantified the ways of writing 1 in non-integer bases. Nor is the phenomenon unique to 1: every non-zero, terminating decimal has a twin with trailing 9s. In fact, all positional numeral systems contain an infinity of ambiguous numbers. These various identities have been applied to better understand patterns in the decimal expansions of fractions and the structure of a simple fractal, the Cantor set. They also occur in a classic investigation of the infinitude of the entire set of real numbers.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    so are you saying 6 of one half a dozen of the other?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like that Pugsly!!!!! No, need skinny tires to ride road. Too big tires=too much resistance and when I rode road w Lactic one time on my Enduro they kept looking at me funny after I wheelied up the cemetary!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    it's kewl, I'll either let him apply the money to an 07 Dirtbag in spring and find another way to get like a Trek carbon 5000, or take the DB. I can't click my heels like Mike suggested tho cuz I'm not in Kansas

mtbr member
    98..here you go.

http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...roducts_id/471

bet you can get it for less if you call them up. shipping would be free. and no sales tax.

Members who have read this thread: 0