N. Idaho Trails Clear?- Mtbr.com
    Don't worry, be happy!

N. Idaho Trails Clear?

I'm specifically looking for updates on Bead Lake, American Falls ( n. of Priest Lake), Lost Creek and other CDA river area trails... thanks!!

Formica

Mar 2007
    Rode CDA River Trail #20 two weeks ago from bottom to top and there were probably 60 blowdowns across the trail, a lot of getting off the bike and hucking it over trees. Wish I would have had a chain saw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would also like to know the condition of the trails at Priest Lake. Does anyone know what the recent windstorm has done to the trails? I know the power has been out for 3 days at Priest Lake and is expected to be out for up to two more days. I will be riding “Lake View” , the trail between the Marina and Elkins and also Bulldog over the next weekend and hope the trails are clear. If anyone has info on trail conditions please post. How about “Woodrat” , is it any better than the past few years? Hey Formica I think "American Falls" is the best trail I have ever been on. That is if conditions are good.

Don't worry, be happy!
    We did Bead Lake today (sunday). I talked to the Newport ranger Friday AM and she said the trail has been cleared for a month. That was before the big storm on Friday afternoon. There's a few things down now, but nothing major. Maybe 6 trees in six miles? Bead Lake TR is in the WA forum.

This one was a doozy, fortunately it was easy to go around. Note the big smooth root that's pulled out of the ground. It also took out a few of it's brethren when it went

I emailed the Priest Lake rec/trails ranger last Thursday and have not heard back.
    Last edited by formica; 07-01-2007 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Priest Lake

My family is heading up to Priest Lake this September. How is the riding during that time? I am coming from NC and have ridden in the mountains here, but am not sure what to expect. Any comments?

Don't worry, be happy!
    Priest Lake is supposed to be very nice - the lake shore trail has a great reputation, as does the thorofare trail. For other trails in the area, including the American Falls trail, you'll want to check with the ranger distrcit ( or here closer to that time) Fall is usually a great time to ride unless it's hunting season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    http://www.fs.fed.us/ipnf/rec/activi...railintro.html

http://www.mtbpriestlake.com/

I did Bulldog #274, this trial was in great shape and a very nice little trip. I did Lakeview #269, this was awesome and had only a few trees down from the storm. I climbed from Hwy 57 to trail # 365 them took 365 to Kalispell bay. Lakeview is a nice climb. 365 was also great. I did Woodrat #235 and I would say don’t waist your time. After the logging a few years ago the canopy is now gone and between the 4-wheelers and down trees destroying the trail I would say the trail sucks. I hope in a few years woodrat makes a comeback as it is a historic trail.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lafawnduh
    Wow, nice find, thanks for sharing.

Any updates on clearing will really be appreciated. It's not sounding good after friday's storm. I heard on NPR tonight that as of today ( a week later ) 13000 people in the PL area were still out of power from last weeks storm.That does not bode well for cleared trails. ;-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    All the trails I road after the storm are in great shape, only a few trees. That is with the expectation of Woodrat #235. Avoid that trail. The storm was I believe more of a tornado and the trails north of Luby bay should be good. That means most of the great trails should be in great shape. I talked to one of the trail bosses in the ranger station and he said all the well used trails had been cleared before the storm and like I said I road Lakeview after the storm and it was awesome. Love that trail. I’ll be doing it again this weekend. Sweet!!!!!

Don't worry, be happy!
    after the storm eh? excellent.

Members who have read this thread: 0