My friend's chain keeps popping off- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

No good My friend's chain keeps popping off

My friend Doc Jay has a Kona FS bike that is a couple of years old that he bought at IMT. For quite some time know, he has had a problem with the chain popping off. He could just be standing there and it pops off. He could be riding up a trail and it pops off. He crashes it pops off. He loads it in his car it pops off. As far as I can tell....there isn't a common trait when it comes off. Big ring, middle ring, small ring...it doesn't matter. It just does.

He has had his bike into our shop a couple of times and usually the next ride the chain comes off.

As far as componentry....probably LX on both ends. Not sure of the chain or chainrings, but I'm thinking Shimano as well.

Doc Jay has been quite frustrated with it.

Any guesses?

If anyone wants to take a look at it and fix it, I'll buy you a case of your fave adult beverage.

Mahalo!

Nick

Hoops - Big and Small
    You gonna have Doc Jay's bike at Greet Nite?

Hi!!!
    No he picked it up already and the chain came off again as he was putting his bike in his car.

I'm assuming it's something pretty simple, but both he and I ain't mechanically inclined (hence seeing if I can entice someone here to fix it for a case of beer). I'm on the verge of sending him to Custom Cycles or Dirt Dart if he can't get this problem solved.

I work tonight, tomorrow and all day Saturday. If I ain't out front, just look around the store. I'm sure I'll be over in women's sports bras or panties or something.

And if anyone has any last minute shopping they need to do at the store...print out this coupon for $20 off your $100+ purchase:
    http://www.rei.com/rei/coupons/cpn_holiday.html

mtbr member
    nick...sounds like he needs a new bike.

King of the Barneys
    I agree. Some bikes are simply possessed by demons, and cannot be repaired by human hands...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Yes, just give it to me. The bike obviously doesn't like him.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    My friend Doc Jay has a Kona FS bike that is a couple of years old that he bought at IMT. For quite some time know, he has had a problem with the chain popping off. He could just be standing there and it pops off. He could be riding up a trail and it pops off. He crashes it pops off. He loads it in his car it pops off. As far as I can tell....there isn't a common trait when it comes off. Big ring, middle ring, small ring...it doesn't matter. It just does.

He has had his bike into our shop a couple of times and usually the next ride the chain comes off.

As far as componentry....probably LX on both ends. Not sure of the chain or chainrings, but I'm thinking Shimano as well.

Doc Jay has been quite frustrated with it.

Any guesses?

If anyone wants to take a look at it and fix it, I'll buy you a case of your fave adult beverage.

Mahalo!

Nick
    Chain length might be too long... To test, put the bike in the big ring up front and biggest cog in the back. He should be barely able to do this and the r. derailleur's pulley cage should almost be horizontal.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I am possessed by demons, but they are friendly
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Lacticacid head
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Chain length might be too long... To test, put the bike in the big ring up front and biggest cog in the back. He should be barely able to do this and the r. derailleur's pulley cage should almost be horizontal.

Sounds Like Flip is on to something, if it is not to long of a chain, I have had one case where the tension spring in the deraillier was shot, and it would not tension back to keep the slack out.
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Alien probe

As a human who just got back from the Doc (human mechanic) I offer this bit of advice and see if it works on bikes as well as it works on me.

Tell, Doc to pull the crank, fondle the spindle and then cover his biggest finger with a huge messy load of Philwood tenacious oil (or something really sticky and messy). Then he should stick that finger as far up the bottom bracket as he can and probe around looking for something alien. Then rather than helping mop up so to speak, give the bike a big lecture on beer consumption with statements like, “if you keep this weight gain up you will be a freeride bike.” While the bike is still dripping with tenacious oil, Doc should leave the bike alone in a room that is completely devoid of life and possible distractions. About 20 minutes later, sneak back in before the bike can figure out what is going on and give it a big shot of smelly slime.

This approach works great at keeping humans from visiting the mechanic. I hope it works on chain drop. If it doesn’t, I would suggest dumping the bike and buying a single speed.

Short of a single speed, old chains that are really dry or really dirty can suck or drop on a regular basis. Bent teeth or worn out chain rings can also cause problems. Derailers that are too high above the chain rings also cause problems. But start by looking at chain length and chain alignment.

King of the Barneys
    LOL... good stuff, reminds me of my own exam about a year ago, where in the midst of it, I yelled, "ouch! that really hurts!" The doc deadpanned, "of course, that's why men don't like it."

He was serious, and I came pretty close to punching him to balance the pain-karma cycle out a bit.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Who wants to hear about my prostate surgery?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    only if it pops off at random times...

Trix are for kids, and my dog ate my wool sock.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey, Nick
    I would perform an exorcism for a case of beer, and take a look at the rest of his bike.
    I can remove the demons. contact me at Custom Cycles 208-559-6917. Amen, Jon

Hoops - Big and Small

Custom Love

Quote Originally Posted by jonmtb
    Hey, Nick
    I would perform an exorcism for a case of beer, and take a look at the rest of his bike.
    My buddy Greg had good things to say about your bleed work, good job man, keep em rollin.

Hi!!!

Good job!

Hey, Nick
    Hey Jon --- good to see you pop up around here. Howzit?

What is the beer of choice over there? Or does Dan like something totally different than what you like.

I'm up to my arse in Greeting Shifts , so I'll probably bring in the bike sometime next week during a lunch break.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Nick
    Good to here from you, I'm actually on Christmas Vacation in Wisconsin. I'll be back in the shop friday morning of next week. Sorry to be out so long. The shop is closed until
    then, but you can reach Dan on his cell at 631-5671. You can arrange to drop the bike off with dan at any time, so its there when I get back. Any micro brew is good with me.
    Thanks for the chat, Jon

Lacticacid head
    Hey, Nick

Nothin like "yank'n" a guys chain for a case of beer!
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

Members who have read this thread: 0