My Crouch adventures- Mtbr.com
    Don't worry, be happy!

My Crouch adventures

I had a lovely weekend at hubby's whitewater rendezvous, camping at the Hot Springs camp just E of Crouch. I was the sole mountain bikers, mostly. So I did a lot of other things too.

On Friday, I took a non-biking gal on a hike. We went up the Middle Fork Payette to one of the summits and did a hike to Rattlesnake point.

Can someone ID this neat little plant for me? It has fuzzy leaves.

While portions of the trail looked great for biking, there were quite a few "drag your bike up the fall line" kinds of pieces too, so I don't know that I would take my bike here in the future.
    Pictures are deceiving, though!
    looking North.

The next day, time to explore the Julie Creek/Deadwood trail.

You go 6 miles up a logging road to get to the trail head.
    Nice views of the Deadwood river:

Now, we had rain the night before, so riding the granitic sand of the road bed was kind of like riding on a wet beach. The trail is open to all users except ATVs.

About 10 dirt bikes passed me on the dirt road. By the time I got to the trail,

the damp soil was pretty well chewed up. I pushed up about 1/2 a mile and then turned around. I have various excuses: I was a solo female 7 miles out into unfamiliar territory; pushing my bike through a munched trail in the willows just wasn't appealing, and I also had some hikers I had brought with me, way far back on the road that I didn't want to "lose". So I turned around. When I met the other gals on the the dirt road, I gave them the car keys and kept on going - told them to pick me up in the Payette canyon on the way back to the camp. I ended up getting a nice 10 miles in above the canyon, in addition to the 13 I did on the Julie trail explore.

Mr. Formica did not succeed in his attempt at a full North Fork top to bottom run, but here he is in Houndstooth rapid (class 5)

and what is camping with out a great dinner cooked in the outdoors?

It wasn't until the weekend was almost over that I realized I was only just over the pass from Stanley - DOH!! Next year - I'm bringing some MTB buddies with me.

~formica

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Was on the SFP Canyon Sunday formica......

Saw mostly out-of-state boaters and what I can only call "clown boats". Five inflatables with an arch over the entire boat and "arms" off of each side of the arch. Each paddler had a seat attached to the main tube and had straps to stay buckled in when the boat flipped......we hung out at Big Falls for more than an hour to watch one of the boats attemp a run. It was ugly.....the raft tipped over sideways on the first drop and proceeded to run Big Falls sideways and get stuck in the reversal at the bottom for at least 20 minutes. Couldn't watch any longer......it was Darwinism on the Payette. Heard they were on the North Fork Monday.....glad they didn't kill anyone.

There were a dozen cars parked at the confluence of the Deadwood/SFP Sunday....looked to be a mix of bikers, hikers and maybe kayakers.

Don't worry, be happy!
    We did S fork Canyon paddle run on Sunday.
    The clown boats you saw are "Creature Crafts". No one in our group takes them seriously.The guys we run with are some of the premier class V boaters in the PNW from Boise, and Seattle and a few other places.

As for Big Falls on the S. Fk, that is a mandatory portage.The Creatrue Crafts were running that? Holy Crap. No one runs that unless a) they miss the portage or b) are a super duper crazy expert. Are we talking the same Big Falls?

If you saw EMS on Sunday, that was us (!!!) One of our paddlers took a body slam in Little Falls. Mr. Formica is a WEMT, but we called EMS as she was presenting with some potential serious injuries. Turns out she just cracked a few ribs but you can never be too careful. So if you saw that ( five emergency vehicles, traffic control etc) now you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah......they were running Big Falls

My group on Sunday was two paddle boats (14' rafts) and two kayaks.....I think there were eleven of us that day. All local boaters.......

Saw two EMS rigs going by while were returning from the shuttle.......glad she wasn't hurt seriously. Little Falls can be exciting if you don't hit it right.

I think with the height of those Creature Crafts (I like "clown boats") they were unable to portage around Big Falls.....they had to run it.

King of the Barneys
    Nice shots, and sounded like a great time. The NY steak is beautiful. And we need more of those "no ATV" signs around here.

CB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Don't worry, be happy!
    We hit the falls just right (clean run on the left ), but our paddle captain launched forward and landed on top of this gal. Paddle rafting is always connected to chaos theory, even with the best crews.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That drop can launch the guide....

Formica....

I commercially guided the SFP in the early 90s.......I learned to pre jump (get my rear off the tube) the 5' drop on Little Falls. Sounds like your paddle guide didn't......bummer he landed on somebody else.

Don't worry, be happy!
    we'll take all the inside tips we can get. Mr. Formica has been boating for 25+ years, but we are new to that run; this was our second time. The folks with us who knew the river all run cats so they don't think to tell you stuff like that though they do know the lines. After the fact, someone else suggested that the guy in the back hang on - we'll remember that for next time.
    Hope we don't sound like a bunch of barney boaters to you as we really aren't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your husband runs the NFP.....

Formica....

I've run the lower Five twice.....in a 14' paddle boat/w other guides and once on a paddle cat with Tony Brennan.....a North Fork kayaker.

Anyone who runs the Smiths Ferry to Banks stretch of the North Fork has my respect. That is a world class stretch of whitewater.......

Your group are as far from being Barneys as you can get.....

Don't worry, be happy!
    He did everything but Jacob's Ladder and did it clean. The cats make it looks so easy.... I appreciate that he knows when to say no. I am sure we'll be back next year for another attempt. Got any other trail recs?

King of the Barneys
    and my Thurs night group is not only close to being Barneys, we are Barneys!
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Don't worry, be happy!
    Cbro, I have a bike lined up....

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    As for Big Falls on the S. Fk, that is a mandatory portage.The Creatrue Crafts were running that?
    I was curious what they looked like so did a google search.

From the link address, it looks like this might even be the falls you are talking about.

They have a video up of a couple of them doing that same falls here:
    http://www.creaturecraft.com/eyecand...?CC_MOVIE_ID=3

mtbr member

Smile come over the hill next time

Any time you need trail service for Stanley give me a shout.
    We were camping and riding for the 8 days between Aug 26-Sept 2 in the Stanley area. Did some old Epics and new classics.

Day 0
    Bogus to some unknown downhill. Get one last glass of beer at the Tour De Fat and help tear down.

Day 1
    Bull Trout to Kirkham Ridge (not recommended past the 10.5 mile link trail to Bonneville Hot Springs) Replaced rear axle in VW van at Kirkham hot springs - get to camp at 2 am.

Camp at confluence of Salmon and Hell Roaring.

Day 2
    Ride from camp up Fourth of July to Ant's Basin-Born Lakes-Warm Springs Meadow-Pig Tail-Williams Creek up the road back to camp.

3:30 am Lunar eclipse.

Day3
    Elk Meadows to Stanley Lake for a swim.

Day 4
    Red Fish Lake Loop counter clockwise

Day 5
    From camp to Williams Creek to Warm Springs Meadow to Robinson Bar.
    (Change serpentine belt in shuttle vehicle on way to setting shuttle at lower O'Brien camp ground.) Adds one hour to shuttle. Do the triple dip. Swim Salmon, Soak Sun Beam Hot Springs, Swim Red Fish Lake. Buy local oil paintings at art show at red fish. Listen to acoustic guitar by Dan on the Red Fish Lodge deck.

Day 6
    Drive around and ride loop from Big Boulder to Frog Lake-upper boulder lakes to Little boulder - soak in Bowery Hot springs.

Day 7
    In cape horn area ride up Swamp Creek and down Trap creek stopping at Miner lake.

Heavy depression sets in as drive back to Boise through smoke and 90+ degrees, no job and civilization looms.

Ready to do it again next week. Want to come?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what the conditions are supposed to look like for this weekend in Stanley?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's the clown boat.....and that is Big Falls

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    I was curious what they looked like so did a google search.

From the link address, it looks like this might even be the falls you are talking about.
    Looks like they're running the second drop on Big Falls backwards.....which is much better than the run they had Sunday when the boat was tipped over on it's side.

Thanks Craig.....

Watch the video I linked, they have a 2 person version that has some issues...

Members who have read this thread: 0