Must Do Trails In And Around Boise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Must Do Trails In And Around Boise

Hi all, I am coming to Boise the middle of September for 5 days of mtn. biking, I have ridden some of the foothill trails in Boise but am looking for some longer (4-8 hour) epic or must do rides in and around Boise or within a 1.5 hour drive, any suggestions? Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Are you in to some serious climbing? If so, do the Homestead trail in the east foothills all the way up to Lucky Peak. 7 or so miles one way, roughly 3000 feet of climb.
    You shouldn't have a problem finding enough trails to fill out 4-8 hours.
    I would recommend using this map:
    http://www.cityofboise.org/RidgeToRi...2RTrailMap.pdf

It's a great reference map that I use on a regular basis.

Boise
    You can see by the above posted map that most trails kick off from Camels Back Park and/or the Reserve.....knock yourself out....

I would also recommend a trip up to Bogus to ride Shafer Butte and/or Stack Rock

mtbr member
    If you can extend your drive to 2.5 hours, go to McCall. Loon Lake is an IMBA epic. though probably a little short of 8 hours. There are other good rides. Check out the Adventure Associates map that just came out.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Suggested "epic" - Military Reserve - Shanes - Rocky Canyon - Orchard - 5 Mile - Ridge Road - Devil's Slide - back of Sidewinder - Hulls Ridge to the parking lot - Corrals (backwards) - Hard Guy - Ridge Road to Deer Point - Elk Meadows - Face Trail - back to Deer Point - Ridge Road - Mahalo - Dry Creek - BB Road - Corrals - Hulls Ridge - Hulls Gulch - Kestrel - Military Reserve.

8 Hour ride.

4 hours if you're Twisted Crank.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Suggested "epic" - Military Reserve - Shanes - Rocky Canyon - Orchard - 5 Mile - Ridge Road - Devil's Slide - back of Sidewinder - Hulls Ridge to the parking lot - Corrals (backwards) - Hard Guy - Ridge Road to Deer Point - Elk Meadows - Face Trail - back to Deer Point - Ridge Road - Mahalo - Dry Creek - BB Road - Corrals - Hulls Ridge - Hulls Gulch - Kestrel - Military Reserve.

8 Hour ride.

2 hours if you do it twice.

Math, baby, math.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

King of the Barneys

8 Hour ride.

Super recommendation, if you can climb all day like a monkey on crack. not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm friends with some crack monkeys. And plumbers.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    If you can extend your drive to 2.5 hours, go to McCall. Loon Lake is an IMBA epic. though probably a little short of 8 hours. There are other good rides. Check out the Adventure Associates map that just came out.
    Say who is selling that? I looked all over town ( gravity sports, pro sports, one other outdoors shop) and no one had it on display. I have a copy I got from Waynadar, but my friends who have a house there were wanting one.
    Last edited by formica; 08-18-2010 at 11:09 AM.

jalepenio jimenez
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    You can PayPal it online and it'll show up in your mailbox within a week. Those guys rock in the service department and they put out good product.

However, inevitably some Chacha egomaniac with an inferiority complex will get a bee in his (or her) bloomers when you comment on trails on that map they know of but never ride. There's history there.

mtbr member
    Devil's Slide?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles
    Devil's Slide?
    Trail 4 from Ridge Road down to junction with Sidewinder.

A great ride in spring and fall after light rains. An unholy skid in summer when dry and the motos chew it up. Do it once or twice a year and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    Say who is selling that? I looked all over town ( gravity sports, pro sports, one other outdoors shop) and no one had it on display. I have a copy I got from Waynadar, but my friends who have a house there were wanting one.
    I bought a copy last weekend at McCall Drugs. They had several more copies available.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

jalepenio jimenez

ummm...trail 4...steamiest downhill around

Quote Originally Posted by Niles
    Devil's Slide?
    Boise's one true classic downhill bomb. very rideable. nothing too techy, just plain gnarly in places. moto trail with some big rollers up top, but once it starts down, you better be on top your game. can't be ridden slow, must haul arse. like twister says, "once or twice a year," more if you survive those two times.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Trail 4 from Ridge Road down to junction with Sidewinder.

A great ride in spring and fall after light rains. An unholy skid in summer when dry and the motos chew it up. Do it once or twice a year and you'll be fine.
    Ah ha. I tried riding #4 uphill a couple weeks ago. Made it to the top, but had to walk 3 or 4 sections because of the loose. Downhill is definitely way better!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    An unholy skid in summer when dry and the motos chew it up.
    Rode it (from the lower 6/4 junction to the top of SW) last night. 29'er hardtail with all of 80mm of front travel. Unholy and ungodly loose and deep at the current time.

Bikers beware.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Rode it (from the lower 6/4 junction to the top of SW) last night. 29'er hardtail with all of 80mm of front travel. Unholy and ungodly loose and deep at the current time.

Bikers beware.
    And people wonder why he's known as the "The Genius".

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Lime Creek is about a 2 hour drive, probably one on the best rides in the area.
    28 miles of fun and work. Gardner Peak trail is a must also.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    And people wonder why he's known as the "The Genius".
    Maybe I'm smart with a capital S-M-R-T, but nowhere near as hardcore as you.

I'm sure you would have done it on a CX bike sporting 700 x 20 slicks, nekkid, blindfolded, no brakes, sporting a fixed gear, all the while hopped up on goofballs and midget toejam.

This would be after you and Visicypher had cut a new "secret" 50 mile trail with broken toothpicks and a dull sugar spoon.

Because you guys are tuff.

Brokeback Crank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Must Do Trails In And Around Boise-1981_ts3jeans_96.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    EP -

I dig trails with my pinky toe hang nail and a broken spork when I can get a day release pass and am not on the SILD.

Visi
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Brokeback Crank.
    Beats the snot outa the one-piecers you been sportin', Reggie.

Specially when you roll your own.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Red cliffs, sidewinder, Fat Tire, down Freestone, up Shanes to 3 bears, up 3 bears, up and then down watchman to five mile creek, up to the ridge road, across ridge road to Bogus, down deer point, eastside/entrance exam, down dry creek, up to Hard Guy, and down to corrals, across corrals to trail 4/moto parking lot, down to hulls and back out to camels back.

5-6 hours, depending on fitness.

Problem with our epic rides is portions of them ain't on the maps so if you don't know all the trails, you can't hook them all up.

Members who have read this thread: 0