Mtn. Bike into Yellowstone? Is it possible- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Mtn. Bike into Yellowstone? Is it possible

A couple of years ago I was told of mountain bike trail that was supposed to take into Yellowstone, about a 3 day ride.

Is there such a trail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I wish that such a trail existed. 100 years ago one could bicycle anywhere in the park. Now it is not only forbidden, but possibly very dangerous. For now, other than a couple short trails, we have to be content with riding the roads in and through the park. Fortunately the speed limit is 45, making the roads relatively safe.

East of the park there is some riding in Wyoming. Grizzly bears are an issue. North of the park is the Gallatin Crest, temporarily closed due to an environmental lawsuit. It was about a 1-1/2 day ride. Northwest of the park is a good one day ride from Hebgen Lake to Taylor Fork. West of the park is a good quality segment of Continental Divide Trail south of the town of West Yellowstone. Just north of this is the endangered area called Lionhead. Very good riding here, some grizzlies though. Further west, about 20 miles from the park, is the Centennial Range, with about 3 days of riding along the crest. North of the Centennials is the Gravelly Range. This has a gravel road along the crest, with ATV trails leading off of it, and apparently a couple singletrack trails that I am not familiar with.

I guess that you either heard about the Gallatin Range or the Centennial Range.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    I wish that such a trail existed. 100 years ago one could bicycle anywhere in the park. Now it is not only forbidden, but possibly very dangerous. For now, other than a couple short trails, we have to be content with riding the roads in and through the park. Fortunately the speed limit is 45, making the roads relatively safe.

East of the park there is some riding in Wyoming. Grizzly bears are an issue. North of the park is the Gallatin Crest, temporarily closed due to an environmental lawsuit. It was about a 1-1/2 day ride. Northwest of the park is a good one day ride from Hebgen Lake to Taylor Fork. West of the park is a good quality segment of Continental Divide Trail south of the town of West Yellowstone. Just north of this is the endangered area called Lionhead. Very good riding here, some grizzlies though. Further west, about 20 miles from the park, is the Centennial Range, with about 3 days of riding along the crest. North of the Centennials is the Gravelly Range. This has a gravel road along the crest, with ATV trails leading off of it, and apparently a couple singletrack trails that I am not familiar with.

I guess that you either heard about the Gallatin Range or the Centennial Range.
    Thanks.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    There is a rail trail that starts near Ashton and runs all the way to West Yellowstone, a distance of some 40 miles. Not the same as biking Yellowstone, of course, but there's still a great deal of beauty to behold.

Aside from the distance, the ride isn't the least bit challenging. It gets soft in places because of the fine-grained gravel used to bed the trail, but the grade is never steep.

I've only ridden it from Big Springs to West and back, so I don't know the southern half of the ride. I've heard the tunnel near Warm Spring caved in and has been closed.

If anyone ever goes, please lemme know; I try to make the ride at least once each year.

Happy trails,

HP

Members who have read this thread: 0