Mtb Content: Poop- Mtbr.com
    just a man

Mtb Content: Poop

I didn't realize this was such a problem. 350 lbs of dog crap a week?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/239/story/58704.html

Ideas:
    -The Trashcans along the trails idea is good
    -The folks doing community service could empty the cans and pick up the illegal turds
    -Outlaw dogs altogether (not a poopular idea I am sure)

Discuss amongst yourselves.

mtbr member
    there is a lot of **** on the lower trails. but, don't expect people to pick up after themselves (dogs) anytime soon. people are people. especially the lower, cb and mr area people.

could we get a story in the statesman about people running and riding off trail, and widening all the trails. i swear, buck trail will look like the freeway come next spring.

i'm willing to donate for some signs in the middle of the trail head educating people to stay on the trail (especially during the wet season).

i really thing my:

Keep
    It
    Single
    Shithead

signs would be affective.

obviously, people do not take advice from the signs that say not to ride/run if your tires/shoes are muddy...

would a similar sized sign posted beside these signs that ask people to stay on the trail be affective?

Barneys Unite!
    People who litter should be fined - and that includes people who don't pick up their dogs' crap. I don't personally like the idea of a trash can every several hundred yards - I'd probably ride into one and crash - thereby widening the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would rather ride on a Dog poop covered single track than double track everything is turning into. Who is deciding that dog poop is the number one issue? I've never thought this was too big of a problem.

I think we should ban the people that want to ban dogs in the foothills, and the ones that get totally freaked out like they've never seen a dog before.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Poop is the new poop.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've only been riding the foothills since September this year but was surprised at the amount of unleashed dogs. The other day, I was chased by a dog day while on the Military Reserve side. He came whipping out of the brush and caught me off guard. I yelled at the lady to keep her dog on a leash and she replied "Oh he doesn't bite". How do I know that? My brother was attacked by a dog while riding his bike that "probably didn't bite". Twice, I've seen runners and walkers blast by as their dog takes a dump right next to the trail. If I counted, could probably get to 10 or 20, the number of piles of crap near the trail. One person did try and do the right thing - they put it in one of those plastic bags they provide at the trailhead but then left it on the trail. You'll see it if you ride the Central Ridge trail on the MR side. It's been there for about a week now.

In early September, I thought the trailhead at Camel's Back reeked of dog urine. But backed off that idea when I came upon a couple walking on the Corrals Trail and smelled the sweet smell of burning pot. I thought I had interrupted their burn until a mile or so down the trail when I came across the same smell and realized it was the brush along the trail. It was a dead ringer for pot smoke. So, it may be the flora in Camel's Back that smells like dog piss.

I've always been perplexed at how people let their dogs behave. You wouldn't let your kid drop his drawers and **** on someones lawn. You wouldn't let your kid run around in the street, off trail, riverbank, etc. You wouldn't let your kid harass others at camp by going up to them and staring at them while they eat dinner. You wouldn't fence your kid in the backyard and let them yell at everyone and everything that passes by. So, why is it OK to let your dog do it?

Disclaimer: I don't hate dogs, however, I dislike ignorant dog owners.

Bong

mtbr member
    i think we need to install a surveillance system in the footies.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    I didn't realize this was such a problem. 350 lbs of dog crap a week?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/239/story/58704.html

Ideas:
    -The Trashcans along the trails idea is good
    -The folks doing community service could empty the cans and pick up the illegal turds
    -Outlaw dogs altogether (not a poopular idea I am sure)

Discuss amongst yourselves.
    Well, as we were finishing the MR-Barney rides last night, there was a dog owner with his dog dropping a huge pile of what they drop, and he's just grinning like an idiot on leave from Blackfoot, so I pass and say, "I hope you're picking that up."

But Jimminy, there is more and more out there, now.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

King of the Barneys
    Good call, Terry. Enforcing it might be hard. Maybe some of us who ride alot without dogs, and who carry guns could be issued badges to write citations. I'm not being totally facetious. I think some on-trail enforcement scheme is a great idea.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong_Crosby
    I've always been perplexed at how people let their dogs behave. You wouldn't let your kid drop his drawers and **** on someones lawn. You wouldn't let your kid run around in the street, off trail, riverbank, etc. You wouldn't let your kid harass others at camp by going up to them and staring at them while they eat dinner. You wouldn't fence your kid in the backyard and let them yell at everyone and everything that passes by. So, why is it OK to let your dog do it?

Disclaimer: I don't hate dogs, however, I dislike ignorant dog owners.

Bong
    Bong: Your post reminds me of this SNL skit:

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/11270...ttorney_at_Law

Funny stuff!
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 11-03-2006 at 11:12 AM.

dirt enthusiast
    i have often wondered who actualy picks up the poop bags. the poop fairies?! most are left behind leaving just as much of an eyesore as steaming piles of poo.

i think the idea of a trash is pretty ok but that doesnt mean that people will use it. the idea of using poop patrol for community service is a good one but that would involve more politics i'm sure.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    is dog poop litter? is it against the law for a dog to poop in public?

1 out of 10 people are courteous (no scientific polling to back up that number..just my best guess ) we've been through this a zillion times already. nothing has changed..and nothing looks to change.

if it pisses you off, and you see a dog squatting..say something to that person to make them feel "bad".

it's like the smoker(s) i get behind in my car everday. or the person you're following into a store of restaurant that is smoking....what do they do.throw their cig butt on the ground and walk away.

people don't do this on purpose (leave poop..flick a cig out their window). it's just nobody ever says anything to them...if if you did....i'm sure they're going to try to argue with you.

Aug 2004
    I think an article of this "prominence" (ie...front page...big color pic) should be done on trail etiquette (like it was suggested in another thread).

Maybe the more people that are aware of these various issues, maybe the more courteous they become.

I ride and run at Military Reserve and the stench from the dog poop can be really, really bad at times. This summer I've nearly fallen off my bike a couple of times cuz I was so overwhelmed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    it's like the smoker(s) i get behind in my car everday.
    On one morning commute, I was getting onto the freeway via the Sugar Beet onramp and was yelling at some idiot that chucked his cig onto the ground all the way to like the Franklin off-ramp. Dipshit.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    CP this is all too damn funny. Here are some fun figures for all of you...

Boise typically produces 3,500 dry tons per year of biosolids and it is land applied (this may have changed). 3500 dry tons of people crap...sloppy, high water mark setting, cornostraphic spackle. That is about 800 tons of crap an hour.

Umm...can we burn some of this energy on something useful...like volunteering to help the elderly or indigent...or say...trail work.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

roar
    On a somewhat relevant note, on our run this morning, we saw a new sign down by the Foothills Learning Center that says starting December 1st, the nature trails and area around the Learning center will be a dog free and bike free zone. Interesting.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    On a somewhat relevant note, on our run this morning, we saw a new sign down by the Foothills Learning Center that says starting December 1st, the nature trails and area around the Learning center will be a dog free and bike free zone. Interesting.
    bikes are free? Dogs are free? Sounds cool...

CDB

only free if you attend a 30 minute presentation...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    only free if you attend a 30 minute presentation...
    But they stamp the back of you hand in case you have to leave. That way you can get back in without having to pay again.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been fox sightings in that area in recent years? Maybe they are trying to make it a "safe" place for foxes and other wildlife that may congregate around that area?

Also, I can see why they would want to restrict it to foot only traffic since off-leash dogs could trample around the place.

Aug 2004
    Boise typically produces 3,500 dry tons per year of biosolids and it is land applied (this may have changed). 3500 dry tons of people crap...sloppy, high water mark setting, cornostraphic spackle. That is about 800 tons of crap an hour.
    I don't know what Caldwell's figures are, but I certainly did more than my fair share thanks to food poisoning this past weekend!!!

Umm...can we burn some of this energy on something useful...like volunteering to help the elderly or indigent...or say...trail work.
    It's obviously a major issue to Dave and to trail users...
    "Without question, the No. 1 negative comment that we receive is the amount of dog waste encountered on trails, followed closely by dogs off leash in on-leash areas," said David Gordon, Ridge to Rivers program coordinator.
    I'm not saying that other trail issues such as trail work (and yes I'm guilty for not pulling my fair share this year) are a bone of contention for many (just how many is "many"?) folks, but just how does it compare to the dog crap problem?

flip...you work with R2R...where does stuff like this fall on the minds of trail users?

they won't stamp me or let me back in after I complain about there being no soap or water in the bathroom and shaking peoples hand.

they really disapprove of the merkin on the outside and the pickle jersey...

and do you think Michelle Merkin knows???? is she practicing??

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    they won't stamp me or let me back in after I complain about there being no soap or water in the bathroom and shaking peoples hand.

they really disapprove of the merkin on the outside and the pickle jersey...

and do you think Michelle Merkin knows???? is she practicing??
    Not only that but the gum tastes like rubber and you only get one piece.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Poop sports

I say we leave the logs until it's too cold to bike and have a poop golf tourney. Bring your favorite chipping wedge or 9 iron and a Camelsback full of beer. We can judge for height, distance and laugh at the poor fool that T's up on a freshie.

By the way make sure and snag some of those blue bags once it gets cold. Nothing like a hot steamer to warm the hands!

Members who have read this thread: 0