Movin to McCall Idyho..maybe- Mtbr.com
    short skirt, long jacket

Movin to McCall Idyho..maybe

I was hoping someone could tell me about the riding up there. I am leaving Grand Junction, CO for this (potentially) so I'm a little spoiled ...will be in McCall from Sept3-Oct 31 to try things out~!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Loon Lake is an IMBA epic. I visit McCall once or twice a year for riding. There have been some good threads here on McCall. Unfortunately some of the best trails are part of the East Zone complex of wildfires right now. ;-(

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Don't worry 'bout the move....just don't forget the rifle...and you'll fit right in.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Grand Junction. pfft. You can ride all the trails there in three days tops. I did last spring. You can do that in McCall or Boise too. Not in Sun Valley or Stanley though. Or in any of the really good spots.

You can't ride year around in McCall, SV or Stanley unlike GJ though.

Can you skin a buck?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Don't worry, be happy!
    SV is only what, 2.5 hours from McCall, right?

I always have to come in the back way from Salmon/Missoula so I get mixed up on how close you guys are.

short skirt, long jacket
    Skin a buck? not unless that's a euphemism for picking up a dollar with my palm! I don't even eat meat. Will I be shunned?
    are you saying it's redneckish out there?

Wandervans
    better start eating redmeat..McCall is more redneck than GJ.

Snow starts mid october or earlier..althought it must be mighty hot in GJ right now making riding tough.

I hope you ski too for the long winter...
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    better start eating redmeat..McCall is more redneck than GJ.
    i visited mccall my first trip to idaho, maybe 5 years ago, stayed with the brother of a friend and did a little pedaling and a little moto-ing. the guy had just sold the specialized dealership in mccall. i got the impression it was turning into another tahoe, chock full of subaru driving yuppie vegetarian weirdos with 'save the whales' bumperstickers. were the rednecks just under cover that week?
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    i visited mccall my first trip to idaho, maybe 5 years ago, stayed with the brother of a friend and did a little pedaling and a little moto-ing. the guy had just sold the specialized dealership in mccall. i got the impression it was turning into another tahoe, chock full of subaru driving yuppie vegetarian weirdos with 'save the whales' bumperstickers. were the rednecks just under cover that week?

not quite yet.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    were the rednecks just under cover that week?
    Naw. We told em there was a can of Bud Light hidden in the woods and they all started making whooping sounds and went scurrying off.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 08-06-2007 at 03:32 PM.

Not eat meat!!! Next you'll be telling us you worship dirt, live in a cave, and save small animals!!!

It ain't so bad here. Hell, I ain't even white. I'm a furriner.(Do they really hide the women when I come into a room?)

mtbr member
    C'mon up, you'll be jus in time fer huntin and gittin sum firewood. Spit. Here, put these antlers on that shiny he'met o yers. Hehe.

short skirt, long jacket

hmm! So there was a specialized dealership there? I guess i'm not surprised it closed but hoping that with all those huppie-types and their disposable income, there would be a bourgeoning market for MTB shop. that's not my plan for earning a living there, however (thankfully) but it was one of those things that seemed like what the town may need. I obviously haven't done my research yet..just little seeds right now.

Rednecks are fun in my line of work (ER) because they frequently do something really stupid and get hurt. Makes for great stories after work--stories without direct personal identifiers, of course.

I've got a couple friends who live there but they don't mountain bike really (which I will fix once I get there) so I don't have a lot of reliable info to go on. It looks very scenic at least. I will just have to learn to live without rocks and sharp, angry plants if I decide to stay.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I don't think you'd regret McCall at all, not if you have a real job. That is the issue for most folks, how to earn a living. When we go there it's a real case of which toys to play with. Trails on fire, no problem, lets go sailing. No wind, lets go paddle rafting. Or fishing. Or hiking, or....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbl_ina
    I was hoping someone could tell me about the riding up there. I am leaving Grand Junction, CO for this (potentially) so I'm a little spoiled ...will be in McCall from Sept3-Oct 31 to try things out~!
    September is a great time to be in McCall. Hopefully the fires are put out. GJ as you know, is very different from McCall. However, McCall is not close to GJ (and GJ's surrounding area like Moab, Fruita, and SW CO) in terms of number of trails and variety. As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering selling my property in McCall and buying a condo or townhome in Fruita instead.
    Since you already know the merits of the GJ area, here are the cool things about McCall:
    Watersports in summer
    Good skiing
    Great flyfishing
    Cooler summers
    All of the riding is in the trees
    Small town (this can be a good AND a bad thing)
    Good luck with the choice and have fun in McCall!

mtbr member
    Not sure how this thread got so redneck centered. McCall is a small town in the middle of Idaho- good and bad. The people are great. The City government make you wonder. It is a good place to live all things considered. Sounds like you'll be working at the hospital which is a good place. I live here, so PM me for any info you need.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Jennifer,

I think you'll like it up here, though the pace is a LOT slower than in Texas or Colorado. McCall is a pretty bike friendly town, too....not really many bike lanes so much that a lot of people ride bikes and the speed limit in town (any town in ID ) is 25 MPH.

SWIMBA is an active club that rides on Tuesdays and weekends. Good people. It's probably more expensive to live up here than in GJ or definitely SA. As you know, the nearest commercial airport of significance is Boise.

Re: the rednecks....as you know, they're all over the US. They're no worse here than anywhere else you've lived...probably. The people here are very nice.

Maybe I'll see you when you move up. I'll have another 2-4 weeks left before heading home.

D

Model of Grace and Tact
    Nope, she doesn't eat red meat and that makes my life a little difficult sometimes.

We both ski and ride, I fly fish. I figure that between those things and my planned winter alchoholism we'll be just fine.

D~, we'll be expecting the gold star trail tour.

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Jennifer,

I think you'll like it up here, though the pace is a LOT slower than in Texas or Colorado. McCall is a pretty bike friendly town, too....not really many bike lanes so much that a lot of people ride bikes and the speed limit in town (any town in ID ) is 25 MPH.

SWIMBA is an active club that rides on Tuesdays and weekends. Good people. It's probably more expensive to live up here than in GJ or definitely SA. As you know, the nearest commercial airport of significance is Boise.

Re: the rednecks....as you know, they're all over the US. They're no worse here than anywhere else you've lived...probably. The people here are very nice.

Maybe I'll see you when you move up. I'll have another 2-4 weeks left before heading home.

D
    All true, except the 3000 people from Boise who drive up every weekend to play makes traffic a headache, and packs the restaurants and bars. Other than that McCall is a fun place.
    Ride the bike.

short skirt, long jacket
    Wow, everyone; thanks for all the input. I think I have a nice decision-making process ahead of me at any rate. And Dewayne, have you posted any more pics anywhere of the trails you are building? One of the ways I reassure myself that mtb will be okay there is by reminding myself that you are out there hard at work makin' trail!

I tend to believe in taking the more moderate view also;knowing that there will be a little bit o this and a little bit a that (be it rednecks, huppies or abominable snowmen) anywhere I go.

To the person w/home in McCall: Wanna buy a house in Grand Junction!?
    primo downtown vintage real estate!

short skirt, long jacket
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Mc
    Nope, she doesn't eat red meat and that makes my life a little difficult sometimes.

We both ski and ride, I fly fish. I figure that between those things and my planned winter alchoholism we'll be just fine.

Gary doesn't eat black olives, and that makes my life a little difficult sometimes.
    So there.

Just to clarify, it's not only red meat. I'm way more freakish than that.
    I really need to change my avatar

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Gary doesn't eat black olives, and that makes my life a little difficult sometimes.
    So there.

Just to clarify, it's not only red meat. I'm way more freakish than that.
    You're not planning on living in a teepee or anything like that are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    SV is only what, 2.5 hours from McCall, right?

I always have to come in the back way from Salmon/Missoula so I get mixed up on how close you guys are.
    uh, no. i think you have to go around through boise. and so, it's probably 5 minimum (hauling serious ass).

you can cut over from cascade to stanley. gravel/dirt after warm lake (on fire now). it's 80 miles (i think) from cascade to stanley. but, we all know how slow the gravel/forest service type roads can be. anyone ever driven from cascade to stanley without going around? what routes are options.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I'd never go that way, anyway. But wouldn't you go through Banks - Lowman etc to Stanley? We always go **almost** to Stanley anyway for the MF put in.We do that at least once a year. But ya, when I start thinking about it, LOL, SV two hours from McCall... what was I thinking?

Model of Grace and Tact
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    You're not planning on living in a teepee or anything like that are you?
    We've already got it picked out. You wanna be our neighbor?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    I'd never go that way, anyway. But wouldn't you go through Banks - Lowman etc to Stanley? We always go **almost** to Stanley anyway for the MF put in.We do that at least once a year. But ya, when I start thinking about it, LOL, SV two hours from McCall... what was I thinking?

google maps says: they estimate a 5hr, 23 min drive from mccall to ketchum (284 miles) through boise/mtn home..

and 3 hr, 55 min from mccall to stanley (156 miles); banks to lowman road/hwy 21.

stanley to ketchum, 1hr 27 min (61 miles)

so, according to google maps..it's essentially the same drive time regardless. mileage is increased by 67 miles...(284 vs. 217) going through boise/mtn. home. and, you're gonna hit some traffic in pleasantville (eagle) and state street; or however you get to I-84 east.

you can knock some time off of google's estimated times.

i'd probably go through stanley to get from ketchum to mccall. just a much nicer drive. winding drive...but a super nice drive.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    We've already got it picked out. You wanna be our neighbor?

Good thing it's not a yurt. We don't take kindly to Mongoluims around here.

King of the Barneys
    Cascade to Stanley? The only decent way I know of to get there is go south on 55, take the Banks to Lowman Road and continue on into Stanley. About 2hrs or less, depending on the number of motorhomes you have to pass. I'm sure that's what Formica was referring to. I'd add another hour to get over Galena summit into the Wood River Valley.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Don't worry, be happy!
    CBro is always right.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    You got it Gary!

And Dewayne, have you posted any more pics anywhere of the trails you are building? One of the ways I reassure myself that mtb will be okay there is by reminding myself that you are out there hard at work makin' trail!
    The pictures I have taken of the trails I've been building haven't come out that well. I'll try to get a few pictures of Hockey Mom, which is a blue square rated trail we finished last month, and post them up. I took a few of The Hibernator, which is a new double black diamond trail we also finished last month, but the details just don't show up very well. You really have to see the trails for yourself.

D

mtbr member
    Yeah, there's a dirt road from Cascade that gets you to the highway near Stanley via Deadwood Reservoir. I've heard its not too bad, but 55 to Banks to Stanley is my preferred route. It's about 3:45 into Ketchum- as long as your passenger doesn't get carsick from the curves.

We never really talked about the trails up here though. Generally they're rugged backcountry trails- nothing really buffed unless its the low stuff at Tamarack. There are a lot of trails, but many are a drive from town-.EastFork, 20 Mile, Loon Lake, Tamarack, Eagle's Nest. The close trails include the Rim Ride, Crestline, Jughandle. CIMBA's working with the FS to build some more trails that are rideable from town. The Tuesday night rides are good way to find the trails that aren't in the book and to meet other riders. The riding community is growing and so are the trails.

Oh, and yurts are preferrable to teepees

Yurts are the way to go. In fact, my friend lives in one in McCall!!! Crazy mofo.

mtbr member
    From Cascade, You gan go past Warm Lake, over Landmark Summit and down into Bear Valley, then over Fir Creek summit to ID 21.

Much dirt/gravel, though I know it is paved at least to the top of Landmark Summit.

Mark

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2z=&r=s&aoh=1

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Ok. They can live in a yurt but let's hope they don't make their own yak yogurt.

short skirt, long jacket
    Ok. They can live in a yurt but let's hope they don't make their own yak yogurt.

No, but if you act now we'll cut you a deal on a bulk patchouli order!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    McCall: Tofu butcher to the world.

mtbr member
    Mmmm, nothing better than locally raised, free-range tofu covered with a nice gravy and bacon

MMMMMMM....

bacon!!!!

short skirt, long jacket

come on over for our delectable thanksgiving dinner!

mmmmmm mmmmmmm good!

Don't worry, be happy!
    back on track- here are some of my McCall area pics from the last few summers:
    20 mile trail
    Jumping rocks
    Ruby Meadows
    Loon Lake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by formica; 08-09-2007 at 11:38 AM.

short skirt, long jacket

pretty

I look forward to feeling it all firsthand soon.
    For the most local rides (those closest to town), what would you recommend ?
    (Any skill level, but preferably not flat boring--maybe once just for a good view)

Don't worry, be happy!
    and a few more...

View from the top of Brunage
    Bergdorf hot springs

Don't worry, be happy!
    1. East Fork of the Lake Fork
    2. Thank you CIMBA ( East Fork of the Lake Fork)
    3. What you do when it's too smoky to ride
    4. Salmon River Canyon, just down the road

mtbr member
    Leave it to Formica to get us back on track- I guess that's why she's a moderator.
    The best from-town ride is the Rim Ride. There are a bunch of variations on the ride too. The standard Rim Ride, Lower Rim Ride, the backside of Brundage-down ElkTrail-climb back out 488 route, The previous Brundage loop to old logging road to Thorn Creek loop, Gared's singletrack stash, etc. The lengths keep increasing up at about 25 miles from town, including the 8 mi climb up Brundage. Crestline trail is turning into a nice trail, but you have to avoid the ATV section. Jughandle is rideable from town, but you'll be on the road a while to get there. You can explore on Jughandle for a few years without knowing all the trails.

Model of Grace and Tact
    Durable Yet attractive Kitchen Counter Surface, where are the 'jumping rocks' located?

Also, will my 7" travel 'XC' bike be overkill in the area?

Don't worry, be happy!
    Ask Waynadr. I'm just a vacationer who gets to do cool stuff with my friends who live there. I know it's somewhere on the East side of the lake, is all.

mtbr member
    Durable Yet attractive Kitchen Counter Surface, where are the 'jumping rocks' located?

Also, will my 7" travel 'XC' bike be overkill in the area?
    Sorry about the delay I was up in Formica's homerange- Sandpoint and CdA- unfortunately without my bike. It was nice to get out of the smoke for a while though. The jumping are on the East side of the Lake past the various church camps. And the 7" XC bike is just about perfect- I'm riding 6" front and rear and love it.

short skirt, long jacket

Ready for cooler air

So, its about a thousand degrees out mid-day here.
    Gary and I had the bright idea to go for a 3 hr ride: In the DESERT!!!

It was hot. (duh)
    Scrubby little junipers are not much shade, and I think that the only other sign of life we saw out on the rocks was one little green lizard. I'm sure he thought we were out of our minds. Even he was hiding in the shade of a trail sign post. Lucky little bastard! Wish I was small enough to do that.

So needless to say, I'm pretty excited about coming up ina couple weeks to enjoy the tall trees and COOL AIR!!!!

King of the Barneys
    Those doods are killing off the fish in there. Whew!

CDB
    A toast to the Freak!
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

I LOVE McCALL!!!

I LOVE McCALL!!!

The trails, the water, the kayaking, the fly fishing, and Tamarack right there!!!

But then again, I grew up in mountain towns with trails, water, kayaking, fly fishing, ski resorts and, uh, "rural mountain folk", so I'm comfy there...

There are so many fantastic rides within a couple hours drive. We just got home last night from a 3 week trip up thata way - a full week in McCall / Stanly / Redfish, then on to Ketchum and beyond.

mtbr member

yurt

Good thing it's not a yurt. We don't take kindly to Mongoluims around here.
    i live in M-hick-Call (i'm coining that phrase! it's mine, all mine!) and the yurts are everywhere. one of the best restaurants is in a yurt, the "lodges" at the top of brundage, all of tamarack, my neighbor, and various others all live in yurts. i thought it was ridiculous when i moved here but i've been sheltered from the outside world and now i think they are brilliant. on a ride earlier in the week, i did see my first t-pee/house.

for anyone moving to mccall, just remember it is an emerging resort town going through identity/growing pains that every other tourist town has already gone through. mccall is the last person to the party. it also has no culture/vibe. so move here and help create the vibe! but beware, there are twice as many churches and half as many bars as a comparable town.
    DEET is my deodorant.

short skirt, long jacket
    Alright!!! We get to create THE VIBE!

That seems like a lot of responsibility, but better me than some soccer mom.

As for the church to sinner ratio, I find that to be the disturbing reality no matter where I go. To me, it means that Sunday mornings must be the perfect time to ride--no one else out.

I counted the restaurants and bars last time I was there and it was pathetic, but liveable. Here in the junk we have about five places we frequent--there's more out there, but it's all franchised crap. The one thing I know I will miss while I'm in Idaho is the Indian food.
    I even tried to learn to cook it recently, but I am just not cullinary-literate. So, my first community service task will be to find some indians to open a place in McCall.
    As for bars...I drink alone.

just kidding. But I hear there's a nice wine bar.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that McCall won't' have too many franchises. My friends who live there were telling me that the City Council passed some sort of ordinance that is anti-box store: it goes something like that for every chain store there has to be 10 local owned places first ( or something like that??)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Speaking of diversity, did you hear the one about the gay man who came out as a conservative republican senator?

mtbr member
    "I'm not gay and never have been gay" --Senator Craig
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    "I'm not gay and never have been gay" --Senator Craig
    Neither was ex-Spokane mayor Jim West.

Pfft.

Craig is toast.

mtbr member
    Yep, no big boxes allowed and a 10% limit on chain restaurants and chain retail. Of course that rule is for the city of McCall. You can build anything you want just a mile south of town in the county.
    Fortunately there are people up here that really know how to cook Indian and Thai. When it gets dark at 4:30 during the winter, there's pleny of time to perfect cooking techniques. You just have to wrangle an invitation. The restaurants seem to be getting better up here too, of course my taste buds could have lowered their standards too. ;-)

mtbr member
    Neither was ex-Spokane mayor Jim West.

Pfft.

Craig is toast.
    what a bunch of idiots. Funny how the most conservative anti-gay guys keep getting kicked out of the closet.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Jennifer,

It looks like my departure date from Tamarack is Sept. 20 or 21. I'll be gone from 9-7 to 9-12. If you and Gary want a guided Tamarack ride, let me know. The offer still stands. I can show you two the new 2008 NORBA Nationals XC course...well, at least some of it. We're in the process of building it now.

D

Members who have read this thread: 0