Mountain lion standoff- my birthday ride- Mtbr.com
    All fat, all the time.

Mountain lion standoff- my birthday ride

Had a long week of work, knocked out a bunch of stuff. Finished up a 10 hour day today at 5pm...
    Sweet, 1.5 hours before dark.
    Grabbing a quick ride before driving 1/2 way home.
    Head out to West fork in the mink Creek area near Pocatello.
    Planning to ride a quick 9 Mile loop.
    Nobody on the trails except some hikers just finishing, beautiful outside, perfect weather.
    About 2.5 miles into my climb, something catches my eye to the left in the grassy field area.
    I assume a deer or elk no big deal.
    Look over to see a big freaking cat.
    This is not a fat house cat.
    This is a damn mountain lion.
    I'm going to get eaten today, on my freaking birthday.
    It is about 25' from me, I stop pedaling and put a foot down.
    The cat continues to walk parallel with me(I'm assuming it's been watching me for some time but it's not looking at me).
    Then it stops, turns, sees me, and walks towards me. Cat is about 20' away and stops.

I know you never run from these animals, do not turn your back, do not play dead. Make yourself large and loud and stand your ground.

I step off my bucksaw and put the bike between me and the cat. That's my only weapon I figure. I have a knife in the backpack but no way to get it quickly.

I yell, swear, call it names, pretend I'm a metal band singer. The cat just glares at me like I'm an idiot. Doesn't flinch.
    This continues for what seemed like forever, probably about a minute or two honestly.

I lift up the rear wheel and spin the cranks, thinking the Hope hub noise will scare it...... Nope.

I try taking one step back(still facing the animal), it steps towards me. Shit ok back to standing still.

In the woods you would think, rocks and sticks laying everywhere....?... The spot I stopped nothing but grass and dirt. Back to yelling, still bit doing anything.

Finally the cat must have got bored that I didn't run, or it wasn't hungry. It slowly turned and walked away back into the long grass. I waited another minute or two, slowly made my way out of the general area, then finally back on bike and bombed it back to the truck.
    Rocks, roots, wasn'tt stopping for anything at this point lol. Really glad there was nobody climbing up or they would have been swearing at me.
    Anyways, I really need to figure out, bear spray maybe, or even a pistol. I'm not a gun nut by any means, but this was quite disturbing, and I spend a lot of time riding alone away from civilization.
    #catsarescary
    #ididntgeteaten
    #needagun
    #takeupknitting?
    #nopicssorrywastooscaredtogetcameraoutofbackpack
    #needsabeer

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    welcome to idaho. Next time step towards him. it has worked for me. happy bday

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Awesome post, Shark. Thanks for sharing. Surprised the cougar didn't bolt when you stepped toward it.

I've only seen cats once while out biking--a pair moving up a ridge as I was pedaling up Gibson Jack non-motorized a few years back. Moose, mulies, grouse, pheasant, and just about everything else are much more common. Hell, I almost hit a coyote cruising on Cross Cut yesterday.

EDIT: Oh, and happy birthday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    jeff

in all seriousness. If you wanted some form of protection with you. your best bet would be to modify a water bottle holder to hold a can of bear spray. Or figure out how to mount the bear spray holster to your bike.

All fat, all the time.
    Yep I'm grabbing bear spray today. See if I can strap it to the backpack in an easily accessible spot that's not in the way, otherwise water bottle holder it is.Mountain lion standoff- my birthday ride-img_20161015_121942813-768x1365.jpg
    Last edited by Shark; 10-15-2016 at 12:41 PM.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I don't get on the bike without a folding knife clipped to the cargo pocket of my shorts, at a minimum. When I used to ride with a pack, I kept bear spray in the side pocket positioned that I could grab it quick-draw style without taking the pack off. Now that I run a frame bag....a 9mm (PF9) fits very easily in there, and can be accessed in about 1.5 seconds if needed. Working on a way to side-mount some bear spray to my bottle cage.

Happy birthday!

mtbr member
    Happy Birthday glad you are still here. I ride solo 90% of the time and lately have been thinking about protection or a whistle.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Ride On!
    Happy Birthday and thanks for the post.. dang dude Lifes Good!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I would love to see a mountain lion, just not that close! That must have been pretty intense.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    WOW, what a story! First, happy (Belated) birthday, and am glad you're ok.
    I don't know a ton about big cats, and have never seen one on my rides where I get "way out there" as often as possible - but they're probably seen me.
    I would think this was a very rare incident?
    Did you report it to ... I don't know forest service or whatever agency?
    Keep riding!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

All fat, all the time.
    I spoke with a local ranger, he was surprised too as the cats generally avoid humans. He did say that I did everything correctly as far as not running, trying to act big and loud etc.
    He mentioned that since the cat wasn't crouched down, ears back, that it likely wasn't stalking me, might have just been bad timing and we happened to meet.

Haven't seen anything other than a couple moose since then.
    It was an unforgettable experience, but I sure hope it never happens again

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Definitely a sobering experience!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Spent 4 years in Poky, that's pretty crazy! Now we live just over the southern ID border in Cache Valley and though I haven't "seen" one, I have "felt" the presence of critters on more than one occasion while out riding. In preparation for Jay Petervary's Gravel Pursuit I made up a couple of Counter Assault Bear Spray water bottles for said event. Worked really well and are easy to access...as long as your with your bike.

That said, it is often recommended to make sure it is not only accessible but ON your person in the event you have to bail from your bike. If you wear a belt or have one on your pack, the holster the bear spray comes with works just fine. Another recommendation given us by a USFS Ranger was the SCAT Belt: ( ScatBelt | PERSONAL PROTECTION BELT SYSTEMS )

Whatever you choose, it's "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". Like tubes, patch kit, tools, et cetera...

Mountain lion standoff- my birthday ride-img_7792.jpg

Mountain lion standoff- my birthday ride-img_7796.jpg