Mountain Biking Boise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mountain Biking Boise

I got my first ride of the season done today, and it was awesome! Went to the Military Reserve and made a loop out of Three Bears and Watchmen/Five Mile Gulch.

The full write-up is on my blog (http://mountainbikingboise.wordpress.com/), if you want the details on trail conditions.

Hope to see more folks out there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the great write up, I also rode from the military reserve yesterday and conditions were near perfect.
    I'm still a novice rider, and I can't imagine riding up that rocky technical section of three bears. I still can't quite climb the steep part just up from the intersection. I almost cleaned it yesterday, but that last steep water bar hump near the top did me in.
    How do you think that loop would be to ride in the opposite direction, up rocky canyon rd?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrozz
    Thanks for the great write up, I also rode from the military reserve yesterday and conditions were near perfect.
    I'm still a novice rider, and I can't imagine riding up that rocky technical section of three bears. I still can't quite climb the steep part just up from the intersection. I almost cleaned it yesterday, but that last steep water bar hump near the top did me in.
    How do you think that loop would be to ride in the opposite direction, up rocky canyon rd?
    Yeah, those two hills are tough. Keep working at the rocky one, once you get your legs under you enough to keep spinning it has a pretty forgiving line.

A lot of people ride the loop in the opposite direction. I would say that it's a bit harder, and I feel like there's less pay-off, but it's definitely one worth doing. It's a lot easier if you just ride up the whole of Rocky Canyon Rd, instead of taking Three Bears. As a middle-of-the-road option you could take Shane's loop to the Rocky Canyon spur and hit the road that way (which would be my preference if I didn't want to ride Three Bears up). In any case, if you're looking for a day with some long climbs, go for it!

I headed up for a short one at Camels Back today, it was more wet after the rain, of course, but still pretty nice. If we get anymore moisture though, I think you can count on it being too wet to ride. Here's the write-up for Camel's Back: http://mountainbikingboise.wordpress...r-hulls-gulch/

It looks like there's more rain in the forecast...lame!

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Keep riding. You will be amazed at the ups you can clean by the end of the season compared to what you can handle now. And as the years go by, you will look back and wonder how you ever struggled with them in the first place.

I am nothing special on a bike, yet I still find myself amazed at the climbs I can shoot up now that I used to look upon with fear and awe as I told myself, "I'll never be able to make it up that."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anyone hit up Hard Guy yet? I'm thinking of riding up later this afternoon if the conditions are good.

I dig your write ups by the way Niles - keep it up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ended up hitting Hard Guy tonight. The lower 3/4 is very good with only a couple of muddy areas. The last 1/4 still has snow across the trail in a few areas and is pretty soft. I wouldn't plan on doing the whole thing for another 2 weeks (if the weather stays dry and warm).

If anyone plans on doing the lower 3/4 of Hard Guy be aware the creek crossing is pretty deep right now (as expected). I ended up wading across it without my shoes on and it was up to my knees.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    Keep riding. You will be amazed at the ups you can clean by the end of the season compared to what you can handle now. And as the years go by, you will look back and wonder how you ever struggled with them in the first place.

I am nothing special on a bike, yet I still find myself amazed at the climbs I can shoot up now that I used to look upon with fear and awe as I told myself, "I'll never be able to make it up that."
    Honestly, I didn't think ANYONE could ride up the hill we're referring to, I just didn't think it was ridable. Now knowing others have done it gives me a new outlook on what can and can't be done.
    I've got some serious work ahead of me this season.

mtbr member
    Rode Bob's and Corrals yesterday and it was okay. Bob's was great! Corrals was quite a bit more wet with sections that should be walked.

Here's a picture from Bob's during the 4:00 weather window we got:

Here's the whole write-up for the loop: Bob's, Corrals, and another loop

Is there a new trail off of Bob's (a 2-ish mile loop), or did I just miss it last year?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles
    Is there a new trail off of Bob's (a 2-ish mile loop), or did I just miss it last year?
    Not a new loop. Just an old loop that is not an official trail that should probably not be discussed in an open Internet, lest it get officially closed by the tool.

That is an outstanding photo of a heavily abused trail though!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Did a little longer loop yesterday and the trails were fantastic. Scott's is still pretty wet though and has a few spots that should be walked. Everything else had just small puddles.

Here are the ones I rode:

Up Lower Hull’s Gulch (#29) to 8th St Extension via Crane Gulch Connector (#1)
    Up 8th St Extension to Scott’s Trail (#32)
    To Corrals Trail (#31)
    Back to Crane Gulch Connector (#1)
    Cross the creek to Crestline Trail (#28)
    Up Trail #4
    Across Fat Tire Traverse (#42)
    Down Freestone Ridge Trail (#5)
    Up Three Bears (#26)
    Wrap back around Shane’s Trail (#26A)
    Down Bucktail Trail (#20A)
    To Ridge Crest (#20)
    To Military Reserve Connection (#23)
    To Kestrel Trail (#39A)
    To Owls Roost (#37)

And here's a link to the whole writeup: http://mountainbikingboise.wordpress...o-mil-reserve/

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Does anyone know what trail 6 is like between freestone ridge and watchman?
    I've ridden it on my dirt bike last year, but everything there is easy on a dirt bike. I'd like to use it to make a loop between those two trails if it's not too gnarly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Its a great connecter this time of year - gets pretty sandy once the dirt bike traffic picks up. Couple of super steep hikeabike pitches but the watchman/5 mile payoff is awesome

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what trail 6 is like between freestone ridge and watchman?
    I've ridden it on my dirt bike last year, but everything there is easy on a dirt bike. I'd like to use it to make a loop between those two trails if it's not too gnarly.
    Definitely a good ride. There are two real steep hills that are rideable, but very tough! I've ridden the whole trail clean except for the last steep hill, where I got knocked off my line by gravity and weakness, but was able to start back up at the same spot to finish it off. It's fun in both directions, but a real worker going uphill. I haven't tried it this year yet, but I'd imagine it's better now than it will be once it gets real dry.

Has anyone ridden up trail 4 yet? I did it last year but had a rough time because of how loose it was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Definitely a good ride. There are two real steep hills that are rideable, but very tough! I've ridden the whole trail clean except for the last steep hill, where I got knocked off my line by gravity and weakness, but was able to start back up at the same spot to finish it off. It's fun in both directions, but a real worker going uphill. I haven't tried it this year yet, but I'd imagine it's better now than it will be once it gets real dry.

Has anyone ridden up trail 4 yet? I did it last year but had a rough time because of how loose it was.
    You think it would be better to ride the loop the other direction, so you'd be riding
    trail 6 down?

mtbr member
    You think it would be better to ride the loop the other direction, so you'd be riding
    trail 6 down?
    Honestly, it's 6's for me. I assume that you'd ride Three Bears to get to Watchmen, if you went "the other direction." So, either way, you've got a tough climb in front of you. Trail 6 can be harder than Three Bears, but it feels shorter.

Here's a google earth comparison:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well since I can't ride up the rocky section of three bears, those tough sections of
    trail six would definitely be hike a bike for me. I'll have to give it shot next week if the weather holds out.
    What software do you use for the elevation graphs, those are cool.

mtbr member
    Well since I can't ride up the rocky section of three bears, those tough sections of
    trail six would definitely be hike a bike for me. I'll have to give it shot next week if the weather holds out.
    What software do you use for the elevation graphs, those are cool.
    Just Google Earth

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm going to be in Boise for a few days next month and could use a few recommendations:

-I need a shop where I can rent a bike, preferably one that I can ride to the trails from.
    -What are the must-do trails in the area?
    -Is there a decent place in or around town where I can tent camp? I does not need to be fancy, I will only be camping for one night before switching to a hotel.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    idaho mountain touring rents bikes.

check out Ridge to Rivers website, I would say a must do loop is Corrals to Hulls Gulch, and another one is Sidewinder-Fat Tire Traverse- Trail 5 loop. they should be on the interactive map on the Ridge to Rivers Website.

As far as tent camping, I am not sure of good spots.

i included some loops from topofusion below
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    IMT is probably the best best for renting bikes. OK selection and only a couple miles to to a main trail access point at Camelsback park.

"Must do" loops depends on how far you want to ride and how much climbing you want to do. Everything from town starts with a climb of some sort. As a general rule of thumb, most our rides feature about 1000 feet of climbing per 10 miles of riding. Which really means 1000 feet of climbing per 5 miles of uphill and 1000 feet of descending per 5 miles of downhill. With that in mind, let us know how far you want to ride and I bet you can get numerous suggestions on great rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the info. Military reserve and Corrals look like the places for me. I plan on doing a couple of rides, one in the 4-5 hour range, the other around 2-3.

It is surprisingly difficult to find close-by camping. The nearest I have found is some BLM land about 20 miles to the south-the Morley Nelson Conservation Area.

Again, thank you for your help

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCU62
    Thanks for the info. Military reserve and Corrals look like the places for me. I plan on doing a couple of rides, one in the 4-5 hour range, the other around 2-3.

It is surprisingly difficult to find close-by camping. The nearest I have found is some BLM land about 20 miles to the south-the Morley Nelson Conservation Area.

There is a koa in meridian then Macs landing on lucky peak. The campground up at bogus is under snow right now.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCU62

You'll find it pretty difficult to create a 4-5 hour ride out of those trails, unless you are even slower that EarthPig.....

From Military Reserve consider adding in Bucks Trail, Shanes (eastern part), Rocky Canyon Road, 5 Mile Gulch, Watchman, 3 Bears, Shanes (western part), Mountain Cove,Freestone Ridge, Fat Tire, Sidewinder, Kestrel, Military Reserve Connector. That might give you 4-5 hours.

Have fun!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by millerlynx
    You'll find it pretty difficult to create a 4-5 hour ride out of those trails, unless you are even slower that EarthPig.....

From Military Reserve consider adding in Bucks Trail....
    I represent that comment.

Did BUCKTAIL trail get renamed????? Or is there a new trail called "Buck's Trail?" If so, it's just a matter of time before Ghris Fook wants to know if anybody has ridden across it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    blatherblatherblatherblahblahblahyibyabyumyum
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Genocide....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I represent that comment.

Did BUCKTAIL trail get renamed????? Or is there a new trail called "Buck's Trail?" If so, it's just a matter of time before Ghris Fook wants to know if anybody has ridden across it.
    It took me hours to ride across Buck Trail might be time for a unicycle so that way I can ride easily across all of the trails in the foothills without having to wheely the whole time.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

Wandervans
    Certainly tough to hit 4-5 piggy hours with all this snow.

My advice would be to do this ride:
    Start at Camelsback go up Bogus Basin Road up corrals across trail 1 and down 4 to sidewinder then go up sidewinder up fat tire traverse down trail 5 take shanes out to rocky canyon go up rocky canyon to trail 7 climb 7 to Five mile gulch take a left on five mile gulch and connect to watchman climb watchman then descend three bears then buck trail to ridge crest then military reserve connector climb the connector take a right on kestral then left on red cliffs then right on hulls gulch climb hulls gulch stay left on 4 to 8th st and then descend on trail 1 to Bobs descend Bobs and you should hit 4-5 piggy hours.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member

Great pic!! I really like that.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Plan to go on a 3 hour tour Sat. Start around 11:30-Noon - Back in time to head over to the SWIMBA trailer park event. Leave Militay Reserve Softball field parking lot-back about 3 pm. Up trials and rockie road to trail 7 then down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Well I finally did that loop today, I don't think conditions could have been any more favorable. Started at the bottom of Hulls, up red cliffs,
    up crestline, up sidewinder, over fat tire traverse, up trail 5 to 6,
    up 6 to watchman, down watchman to 5 mile gulch, down rocky canyon rd, up
    three bears and back down to shanes, back to
    three bears, and down ridgecrest.
    I didn't have any legs left to get up over the connector so I took the pavement back to the truck.
    21 miles overall, 18 of it dirt. Up trail 6 is completely
    unrideable for me at this stage, but I was proud to have made the loop anyway.
    I think going the other way on 6 would be easier, but then you would miss out on the watchman-5 mile descent.
    Last edited by hotrozz; 05-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Great info

Nice maps and info

Members who have read this thread: 0