On a more positive note- Mtbr.com
    aaarrrggghh!

On a more positive note

Went to Stanley this last weekend to escape the heat and got in some fantastic riding. Rode Elk Meadows twice solo since it was close to the campsite, hiked in the Frank Church, rode Fisher Creek, and did the Frog Lake loop. Those rides made for a spectacular weekend and reminded me again how much I dig riding in the mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On a more positive note-elk-meadows.jpg  

On a more positive note-frog-lake-jump.jpg  

On a more positive note-white-clouds.jpg  

mtbr member
    That first photo is great!
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

mtbr member
    Nice! Heading to Stanley in August for 3 days. Hoping to camp at Stanley Lake Inlet, as it has some first come first served sites...the other campgrounds there are already reserved. Back up plan is Bull Trout Lake; I guess there is the Wyoming Creek ride right there. Planning to ride Fisher Creek, Redfish Lake Loop, Elk Meadows, and Potoato Mountain. Can't wait!

aaarrrggghh!
    Thanks. We had a great time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wyoming Creek

Before you ride Wyoming Creek you might check with the Forest Service to see if it has been cleared. I did that ride with my wife several years ago and we dubbed it our least favorite ride because there was tree down about every 100 yrds. If the trees are cleared the trail had great potential.

Have fun!

jalepenio jimenez

cleared trails

like buddha says, check with usfs for Wyoming trail, but it is in the motorized area west of Stanley, and they do a pretty fast job of trail clearing if it's an oft' ridden trail, so I would guess it's cleared. in the same area, Bench creek trail between Cape Horn summit and Bulltrout lake is open, as I rode it yesterday on my way down from Stanley. Valley creek trails have been cleared also (motorized). We hit east frork Valley creek to Basin Butte and down Prospect saturday and it was cleared. da*n motorcycles are prematurely ageing those trails, but they're still enough to keep you smiling the rest of the day.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

aaarrrggghh!
    Moto is love/hate. We rode the Frog Lake loop in the White Clouds and ran into some dudes on moto. They had just cleared the entire section of Little Boulder Creek trail (the downhill portion of our ride) with chainsaws and were descending Big Boulder trail with the motors off out of respect for the other trail users. Those guys are fantastic and really highlight the good side of the moto/cycling relationship. I wish all users were that cool.

jalepenio jimenez
    I can't think of any trails that aren't motorized except Redfish, and I think the southern side might be, but those motor guys are the ones who do most of the work for us gravit(and endorphine) junkies. definetly love/hate.
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    why the hate of the moto guys?
    is it you don't do it, therefore they are bad.

I am just curious. I don't own a motorcycle but it seems without the motor bikes most trails in idaho wouldn't be cleared.

aaarrrggghh!
    To further clarify.....I don't hate moto guys but sometimes I hate damage caused by irresponsible moto riders. I do love the work they do to maintain the big mountain rides and that some of them exist because of motorcycles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    Valley creek trails have been cleared also (motorized). We hit east frork Valley creek to Basin Butte and down Prospect saturday and it was cleared. da*n motorcycles are prematurely ageing those trails, but they're still enough to keep you smiling the rest of the day.
    Was that the East Fork of Valley, below the look out and down Prosepect? That use to be one of my favorite loops. The guy owned McGown cabins in lower Stanley and his buddies use to do an excellent job clearing the trails on motorcycles and keeping the younger riders from over throttling. Last time I rode the loop I was really depressed seeing all the sweet single track destroyed by 4-wheelers.

Has anyone done the trail up Trap Creek past the Lake ?) up the ridge and down the drainage to Elk Meadows. It looks epic with spectacular views. It's been on the to do list for a few years and I really want to do it.

jalepenio jimenez
    yup. I hadn't ridden it for a few years and was a little dismayed by the thrashing the motorcycles have inflicted on it in the last couple years. but the view from the lookout is still awesome! and the ride off the top and down Prospect......

I know Mike McGowan in lower stanley. he had a motorcycle repair/guy hangout place next to my old riding buddies place. long time trail maintenance dude: works all over south Idahoe for the usfs.. I've seen his work in Sinker creek at BB. he had a trademark of sniping the end cuts of his trailwork when clearing bigger trees.

I've been over the top from Bench creek/N fork canyon creek to Marten lake a couple times and out Trap or Swamp, but never out via elk meadows. let us know if you do it.

better yet, let me know if you're planning that and I'll try and make it.

Boise
    TVTMA and ITMA cleared most of those trails the first part of July. We do our best to police our own and educate the importance of responsible trail riding ....same goes for errant Mtn Bikes dragging brakes down decents....in fact a large portion of the moto guys Mtn Bike as well.

Trail clearing is rapidly becoming a loosing battle...between wild fire, beetle kill, normal idaho winters...trails seem to have an every increasing number of deadfall every spring...the numbers of individuals willing or possess the skill to ride with a saw are few and the job is getting much harder.

Again, most of the trail clearing is faciltated by local moto trail riding clubs and by Idaho Parks...which is funded by moto off road sticker $$$. Without would present trails unmaintained, uncleared, eventually being unridable by both Moto's and Mtn Bikes...

...on a side note...the USFS has contracted for crews to conduct tread work this season...so some of your favorite trails just might get some additional TLC.

Members who have read this thread: 0