montana trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: montana trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

montana trails

I am heading out to montana and am hoping to get some permission to do some riding at least one of the days that we are out there. Is there any recomended trails, preferably near a day spa to distract the wife? we are going to glacier and then heading down to bozeman to visit and friend and see yellowstone.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBEN
    I am heading out to montana and am hoping to get some permission to do some riding at least one of the days that we are out there. Is there any recomended trails, preferably near a day spa to distract the wife? we are going to glacier and then heading down to bozeman to visit and friend and see yellowstone.
    On your way down to Yellowstone (assuming you go in the west entrance), spend a day at Big Sky. You can do some lift assisted riding at the resort and she can visit their spa.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    If you can find a suitable spa in Bozeman you could ride any one the great trails near town. Ask your friends to find you a spa in town - there must be at least one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I normally ride xc on a rigid ss 29er, could I ride the big sky dh stuff without killing myself.

Is there anywhere with epic climbs, I am a brunt for punishment, I'm a little curious to feel how bad a 1500+ ft climb feels.

jones'in
    I normally ride xc on a rigid ss 29er, could I ride the big sky dh stuff without killing myself.
    lol......ummmm.......no.
    Is there anywhere with epic climbs, I am a brunt for punishment, I'm a little curious to feel how bad a 1500+ ft climb feels.
    Yes. Just north of Big Sky is some terrain that you might find more 'suitable'. I hear there's some really great XC riding just South of Big Sky too, but I've never ventured down past Big Sky for riding.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    are there any vids of big sky on youtube? I love to try some of the stuff (ladder bridges and what not) I just have no desire to hit large drops at this stage in my life, had I started riding ten years ago, stupid wisom that comes with age...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you want a brutal climb try Columbia Mountain just south of Glacier in Columbia Falls. Probably more like 2500+ feet of climbing in under 5 miles. I haven't attemped it myself yet. There are plenty of spa's in the area to dump the wife off at...

jones'in
    are there any vids of big sky on youtube? I love to try some of the stuff (ladder bridges and what not) I just have no desire to hit large drops at this stage in my life, had I started riding ten years ago, stupid wisom that comes with age...
    Not really sure. They've moved to a different part of the mountain this season, so anything you found on YouTube wouldn't be representative of what they've got any way. Most of the new trails are under construction at the moment. On the 'old' part of the mountain, there were some ladder bridges and stuff on a run called 'Lobo', but in order to get to them, you had to ride through some uber steep dirt with a few drops and straight up boulder fields.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

SamIAm
    i remember for the bigsky race, watching like 12 volunteers on xcbikes that couldnt put seats down drop in so they could do volunteer stuff down the trail. call in accidents and whatnot. but while all the dh kids were watching whispering to eachother..."are they really going to do that?" they did, and they all ate it hard, some then just slid down the rest with bikes, others kept trying. but at least they all had medic kits so they could fix themselves up.

but seriously, bigsky is stupid steep/rocky, i would say thats a big no-no. but you could rent a dh bike, helmet, pads and whatnot and go try it out.

as far as i know they still have loads of snow and they are supposedly making new trails, but i seriously doubt they will be done anytime soon unless i hear otherwise from somebody more informed than me.

i couldnt help you on the insane climbing, but im sure its there, if anything just go to every lbs in bozo and at least one of them will have good info for you.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Check out Sage Salon/ Spa on the corner of Main and Rouse. Its a nice place right downtown.

As far as riding. It isn't the most brutal ride around, but check out Mystic lake from the Bozeman Creek Trailhead. Decent elevation gain on an old road bed, excellent views and a fun singletrack on the way back.

Members who have read this thread: 0