Montana, Idaho, Wyoming good for solo travel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming good for solo travel?

Not only to moutain bike, but are they good places to travel solo?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    As good as anyplace, IMO.
    Just use your head, and take normal precautions, as anywhere.
    Good folks out here, in general.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    I agree. Its like anywhere else.

People are really friendly, and you are sure to run into people that are down to ride/drink/whatever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can you recommend any areas in any of the 3 states? Any nice lively areas to stay, hang out, some tours or adventurous stuff, and maybe meet up with or bump into some bikers?
    I've been dying to see that area of the country and I'd be traveling from NYC area.
    Thanks

Jun 2008

Where to ride - Wyoming

If you're headed west into Wyoming via I-80, there are a lot of good options in the Cheyenne and Laramie areas. Primo singletrack at Curt Gowdy State Park, and several good trails in the Pole Mountain section of the Med Bow National Forest a little bit further west. Also, some options in the Snowy Range area west of Laramie.

mtbr member
    If you've not been here before, I'd recommend seeing the sights, and fitting your biking around that. To me, the prettiest placs in the region are:

1. Glacier Natoinal Park, MT
    2. Grand Teton National Park, WY
    3. Sawtooth National Rec. Area, ID
    4. Beartooth Wilderness, MT/WY

Visit some/all of those places and look for riding in those areas. You'll not be disapointed.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Scenic yes, rideable no

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    If you've not been here before, I'd recommend seeing the sights, and fitting your biking around that. To me, the prettiest placs in the region are:

1. Glacier Natoinal Park, MT
    2. Grand Teton National Park, WY
    3. Sawtooth National Rec. Area, ID
    4. Beartooth Wilderness, MT/WY

Visit some/all of those places and look for riding in those areas. You'll not be disappointed.
    Bikes are not allowed on the trails in any NP or Wilderness area.

And by the way, you left out the "Crown Jewel" of all the "un-rideable" areas, the Wind River Range of WY.

I'd highly recommend the Snowy Range trails for a true "wilderness" experience, they are so far under the Radar, that even I can drive from CO in 1 1/2 hrs and rarely even see another tire track. Be prepared for rugged, very remote situations with all the riding well above 10,000'

As far as 'lively" hang out spots/party scenes....You are are talking about WY/MT aren't you ?? There aren't enough people in all 3 states put together to throw a "lively" party by you're NYC standards. I'd take my chances to enjoy the real west and just stroll into any saloon and ask if they have any micro's on tap, but only if your not wearing Lycra.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    ^^^^^
    That's not....'exactly'....true.
    There are events all over that draw thousands and thousands of party people, music festivals, cycling events, food events, etc...lot's going on. Not all tons are 'rancher'...take Jackson, for example. (which some argue isn't really in Wy...)
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave

I'd highly recommend the Snowy Range trails for a true "wilderness" experience, they are so far under the Radar, that even I can drive from CO in 1 1/2 hrs and rarely even see another tire track. Be prepared for rugged, very remote situations with all the riding well above 10,000'

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! ....Oh, and the riding is still mostly under snow!!

mtbr member
    When are you planning the trip and how much time are you planning on spending in the area?
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Members who have read this thread: 0