MLK Day in the Owyhees- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

MLK Day in the Owyhees

I started about 11:30 and took about 30 pictures with my crappy camera phone.
    Should have known they would suck, but salvaged a few scenes. Why does this Verizon cameraphone let you delete an entire gallery, but you can't select and upload the same gallery?

Was really really nice out there - a bit cold up along the top by the slot, my fingertips got tha burning cold sensation, ouch! Warmed them by Wilson Creek and was good to go.
    Too much snow on Bingo to (for me anyway) to really let er rip. Reynolds Canyon was really nice.

Ummm, someway, somehow, coming out of Reynolds back onto the singletrack, I took aright turn and ended up on the fireroad, went left and up this singletrack thinking it was going back to the parking lot. and up, and up, and up, getting snowier, somethings not right! no ridge to get a view. Back down. down a fireroad that started to back back up, sheyaaat! back down. By now it's almost 5pm. I went over some barbed wire to a farm house. she was pretty cool, gave me some hot tea with honey and told me how to get back to the feedlot without having to tip toe across ice (that almost broke under me).
    Finally, finally thorugh the feedlot and back to my car in the dark! ahhhh.

That singletrack I got on was 500 or W500 or something; I have no maps, is anybody familiar with it?
    If one knew where they were going, it is a pretty cool singletrack, a lot like Bingo but probably longer, as I have no idea how much further up it went........
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-05-2007 at 07:30 PM.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    May 2004

& a few more

If it wasn't for that lady, I would probably, I just dunno!
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Hi!!!
    Is 500 the run that runs east-west and is south of the feedlot?

Good pix Daryl. I think I'm gonna try to head out there late Saturday afternoon for a short jaunt. I think the temps are suppose to be in the high 30s/low 40s and sunny (save for Sunday) for the rest of the week.

mtbr member
    Cool pics! I'm reaedy to head out there again.

I wish I'd had MLK Day off, but I had to work. I did ride for an hour and twenty minutes on the trainer, while watching a Spinervals DVD. Woohoo!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Not sure about 500

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Is 500 the run that runs east-west and is south of the feedlot?
    But it is a good trail. MarkV or Jack or someone, can you tell us about this?

dirt enthusiast

consider yourself lucky

that you found a farm house with a nice lady who made you tea!! screaming endorsement NOT to ride the owyhees by yourself. i doubt that you were prepared to spend the night or had enough food. yes, there are some landmarks out there but the majority of it looks the same. i've only ridden out there a handfull of times and know that i could still get lost! you gotta be careful d! is this why you were asking about life flight?!

ok so enough of the no fun police! looks like it was a great day to ride! the pics didnt turn out too bad for a phone. we'll have to get back out and ride again!

~i'm not trying to bag on you either. its a safety concern~
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah I know, you're right. I've got almost all of it down, at least the parts we ride, there is more I'm sure, except for the way back after climbing out of Reynolds, OBVIOUSLY!

Some people like Chris Cook and probably Nels wouldn't understand how you could get lost out there. I mentioned this to Cook once and he didn't understand how you could being that you have Wilson Peak as a reference point. But like you said, so what! That still doesn't tell you what trails/track to take to get back!

It was soooo nice to get back into a warm car and have some Earthpig heat peanuts (oohh opened myself up for one on that eh?)

Yep, I hope to ride out there with you and Patrick again soon!

Hi!!!
    Back in 2004 I was riding by myself (never ridden with anyone else out there) and it was getting late. I had ridden up Wilson Creek and then got down into the "canyon" (don't know what else to call it) that is on the right hand side as if you were going up. Well I was on a trail for a lil' bit. Saw a pack of wild horses. Waved at 'em. Just kept riding. Well I started running out of "trail" and I was also running low on time. I was traversing this hillside thinking that I would eventually get back to more familiar turf. Well after a while of just pushing my bike, I had enough. I was down pretty far and it was too steep to just climb back up to the road. From what I could tell...I was heading further away from the creek and heading west. So I just turned around and headed back the way I came and eventually got back up to the road and then just took that all the way down to where I parked.

I've done a couple of night rides out there. Now that's a trip!

Hi!!!
    Daryl ---

I'm guessing the answer will be "yes"....was there any snow on top of Wilson Peak? I may try to do a hike up there in a couple of weeks since there is no snow forecast for the next 10 days.

Rocks Rock

Guessing

Dayrl, I am just guessing but you may have ended up taking Outside Reynolds Creek trail back up to Bingo. That may have been why you thought the trail looked a lot like Bingo. I don't know... just guessing. This could be what happened if you missed the switch back turn on to Blue Cooler.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not Bingo Dave, another one, 500 or 500W; It had a feel like Bingo, lot's of potential-we need to check into it

Rocks Rock

Ok

How bout this Sat.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dave.......you're right. Trail 500 (Jack pointed it out Saturday) is the outside trail on the north side of Reynolds Creek....runs east and west.....has a nice flow like Bingo's.

How Daryl managed to get lost on that trail....... well........natural selection?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Markv
    Dave.......you're right. Trail 500 (Jack pointed it out Saturday) is the outside trail on the north side of Reynolds Creek....runs east and west.....has a nice flow like Bingo's.

How Daryl managed to get lost on that trail....... well........natural selection?

Gee, thanks Mark. Actually I didn't get lost "on" that trail; I was lost before it and thought it went the same direction as blue cooler, and eventually back to the lot.

So Imp was saying you can access the top of it then before dropping into Reynold Canyon?
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 01-23-2007 at 06:08 AM.

Rocks Rock

Hey Mark

Good to hear from you Mark. I miss riding with you out there. Thanx for showing me around. I always look for you when I'm out and sometimes see yawl's rigs on my way out. I stopped and left a treat on Jacks bumper Sat. I will either have to sleep later or wake you up early I guess.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No worries....

Dave,

We're the afternoon crew at Wilson Creek on Saturdays.......don't start till around 1:00 PM.
    Ride with us anytime.....

Daryl,

Yeah........after the two short climbs coming off Bingos and heading to Reynolds Creek canyon the trail splits and trail 500 (BLM's name.......not ours) drops to the east and connects with the trail from the east end of the China wall. It's the trail I was ranting about motorcycle damage on about a month ago.....they're riding it too fast, missing the corners and making the trail straight and boring.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Mark, I'll have to check it out - it looks like there's some good little rock booters on it.

Members who have read this thread: 0