McCall Rides!?- Mtbr.com

Thread: McCall Rides!?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

McCall Rides!?

Headed to McCall for the weekend and looking for some beta on rides near there--getting bored with East Fork Lake Creek and Loon Lake.

How's Bear Pete Mountain trail?
    Is Duck Lake to 20-Mile cleared of trees, yet?
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kramer

mtbr member
    Eagle's Nest in Cascade is fun...

King of the Barneys
    Duck Lake to 20 Mile is an all-time favorite. I always just call the folks at Gravity Sports for a condition report. They've been real helpful.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mortman
    Aug 2006

The NEW Loon Lake

You should try Loon Lake again. It is like a new trail after the fire. It will make you cry a little though so bring kleenex.
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

Eat More Dirt
    I was hoping to get up there for some rides this fall, is Loon Lake do-able on a rigid single speed, normal guy do-able, not freakishly fit guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, we've done Eagle's Nest outside of Cascade, and it's a favorite, but was hoping to stay in the McCall area once we get there.

Anyone done Bear Pete Mountain ride? Hopefully recently.

How are the new tracks laid down in Bear Valley?

We're up for a shuttle ride if anyone with a car in the area this weekend (8/16/08) would like to join in on Duck Lake to 20-mile, if clear.

mtbr member
    Kramer, It has been several years since I rode Bear Pete. It was a long grueling day. The initial climb is dauting, the route up on top through meadows and forest is very cool. There were a few moments of route finding and the we opted to drop down to the French Creek Road (you can also drop down to Josephine lake IIRC). It is a quick ride to Burgdorf from there.
    Call me if you want any other info.
    Mark L

mtbr member
    sry, double post

mtbr member
    You can also ride from the Campgroud up Lick Creek Road (lake fork creek) over into the Boulder Creek area. There are lots of trails on Jughandle Mtn. Take the green gate road up around behind Brundage. Heck, you coudl even try to ride down the Seesech river trail though I expect that is tree'ed in and the shuttle is heinous. Go up to Warren and try out random logging roads.

mtbr member
    The last I heard 20 Mile was a mess after the junction to the lakes. It was also a mess about 3 miles in from Duck Lake. That was a few weeks ago.
    So, new trail ideas for you-
    Payette Rim Ride (multiple variations)
    Blackwell Lake (do it as an out n back and skip the dusty Crestline part)
    Goose Creek (either as a shuttle from Brundage reservoir or as an out n back from Last Chance trailhead
    Bear Basin (only a 3mi singletrack is ready for primetime really, but there are a lot of logging roads in there)
    Jughandle (endless variations there)
    There's no good trail map up here- yet! that's my winter project!
    I'll send you a PM for a ride this weekend

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by discfor1
    . Heck, you coudl even try to ride down the Seesech river trail though I expect that is tree'ed in and the shuttle is heinous. Go up to Warren and try out random logging roads.

Do people really do that ride?
    My hubby attempted that ride several years ago. The shuttle IS heinous, there's tons of trees down and no flow...

mtbr member
    Oh, I forgot, Bear Pete is usually in good shape because it's primarily on the ridge line. Probably a tree down here or there and a bunch of sheep.

mtbr member
    Latest news- 20 Mile is cleared up 5 mi in from the 20 mile trailhead. The FS crew is suppposed to be in there working on it now.

May 2007

Kennaly to Rapid River

There is a hike in the middle. You go by Rapid and Bolder Lakes. 5 hrs. It is out by Tully Meadow.

Members who have read this thread: 0