McCall Relocation- Mtbr.com
    Model of Grace and Tact

McCall Relocation

Hello Idahoians,

My GF and I currently live in Grand Junction, CO (just 15 minutes from Fruita). The GF has a great job opp. in McCall and since we already have friends living there and a great lead on a house we are considering the move...
    I'm assuming there are not as many tech'ish trails in the area as in the GJ/Fruita area, but am hoping that there is at least a lot of singletrack.
    We spent a week there last summer and had a chance to ride @ Tamarack, but that is the only riding we did in the area.

FWIW, I do a lot of trailwork with our local club and am happy to do more in a new home riding area.

Thanks for the beta,

Gary Mc

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Mc
    Hello Idahoians,

My GF and I currently live in Grand Junction, CO (just 15 minutes from Fruita).

Did you know Jerry Daniels? A tall freak from GJ. He's come out here several times, and we've ridden McCall trails together.

The GF has a great job opp. in McCall and since we already have friends living there and a great lead on a house we are considering the move...
    I'm assuming there are not as many tech'ish trails in the area as in the GJ/Fruita area, but am hoping that there is at least a lot of singletrack.

There's quite a bit of riding up and around there. I'll let the locals dial you in, but I sure love Ruby Meadows to Loon Lake, Duck Lake, 20-Mile Creek, East Fork of Lake Fork, Eagle's Nest, Bear Pete, the rides behind Brundage ski hill, and others that I can't think of.

We spent a week there last summer and had a chance to ride @ Tamarack, but that is the only riding we did in the area.

FWIW, I do a lot of trailwork with our local club and am happy to do more in a new home riding area.

That's the kind of folks we want moving in. Welcome. The riding's great up there!

Cbro, King of the Barneys!

Thanks for the beta,

Gary Mc
    CDB,
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Hello Idahoians,

My GF and I currently live in Grand Junction, CO (just 15 minutes from Fruita). The GF has a great job opp. in McCall and since we already have friends living there and a great lead on a house we are considering the move...

Thanks for the beta,

Gary Mc
    McCall has tech'ish singletrack although it's a very different tech than the Fruita and Lunch Loops (but equally fun). There are also some rides that can lead you to some awesome alpine lakes where you can fish for cutthroat! Tamarack riding is not representative of the trails McCall and the vicinity has to offer.

McCall IS a small town however so be prepared for small town kinda life... I like it so much there that I bought some land to retire to...

Don't worry, be happy!
    Wow, if you've got the job and the house all lined up....... go for it. I"ll third the singletrack around there.... plus the whitewater, and the skiing. The only drawbacks that I know of ( and some of my best friends live there) is cost of housing and the quality of the high school.

Have fun...

mtbr member
    i'm jealous. i'll be even more jealous come july when it's blazing hot down in le bois. trees are nice.

i say go for it. the riding up there is great. and i know that i've only ridden the popular/known trails. surely someone with adventure and meeting the right people can and will open up more riding for you.

guess what my last paragraph is trying to say is that there doesn't seem to be a large trail system..i.e. where one trailhead can take you to miles and miles of trail. see sun valley, fruita...and boise for that matter.

welcome to idaho.

mtbr member
    I'm one of the few that actually lives in McCall full time.
    There are a lot of trails up here and they're pretty rocky/technical, but we can always use more. The trails are definitely different than Fruita- usually they're singletrack through pine trees along a "crick" and end with a mountain top view or alpine lake. Very few, if any, are "buffed" A few are rideable as loops. If you want to help build trail then you're definitely welcome in my book.
    McCall is a small town going through big changes and has a LOT of factions and in-fighting. The city mgmt is [email protected]#$ up and the city will probably be bankrupt by the time you read this. The old-timers don't like growth. The new comers are quite transient and generally don't get involved in the community. The lake front owners are in their own little world.
    That being said, since it is a small town, you can make a difference. CIMBA is being re-organized with new life, the forest service is working with us to build a new trail network in Bear Basin, there are new trails being built or discovered every year, the skiing/snowboarding is great, the restaurants are getting better, the skatepark is a blast, and most of the residents are very nice.
    I personally think we can use new people with new ideas and new energy, so come on up. PM me if you need more info

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Did you know Jerry Daniels? A tall freak from GJ. He's come out here several times, and we've ridden McCall trails together.
    Wow, what a small world. JD lives in Southern California, but used to live in GJ, and definitely always talks about GJ. He's fun to ride with. I'm front & center in the last pic.

Is that the freak you're talking about?
    Last edited by royta; 05-26-2007 at 07:32 AM.

King of the Barneys
    That's very cool. And cool pictures. I keep in touch with him almost weekly. He's a great guy and gave up a lot moving to So Cal to be closer to his daughter.

Here are a couple shots. I credit him with helping start the annual AMB-ID summer mother-of all-riding-weekends, that we've been doing since 2001. The Freak taking a picture was at Loon Lake north of McCall. Another has us floating the Boise River, and the "hot springs" one was at Burghdorf, north of McCall.

And here's a story of his first visit to Boise. http://tinyurl.com/2evnq2

CDB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    That's very cool. And cool pictures. I keep in touch with him almost weekly. He's a great guy and gave up a lot moving to So Cal to be closer to his daughter.

Here are a couple shots. I credit him with helping start the annual AMB-ID summer mother-of all-riding-weekends, that we've been doing since 2001. The Freak taking a picture was at Loon Lake north of McCall. Another has us floating the Boise River, and the "hot springs" one was at Burghdorf, north of McCall.

And here's a story of his first visit to Boise. http://tinyurl.com/2evnq2

CDB
    I'll be moving up to Boise sometime between late July and whenever school starts in August. You'll have to let me know about the mother-of-all-riding-weekend in the future.

Model of Grace and Tact
    Thanks for the info. It's good to know we won't be leaving singletrack behind us.

I know J.D., but only via MTBR as he moved a year or so after we moved to GJ. Everyone says he's a great guy, in person....

over researcher
    I know J.D., but only via MTBR as he moved a year or so after we moved to GJ. Everyone says he's a great guy, in person....
    LOL, now that was funny. Yeah, he's not afraid to tell it like it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    meeeee-row i'm a cat
    Last edited by Dirtdart; 06-19-2007 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

My favorite McCall area ride.

Kennally Creek campground, go up Kennally Creek, past Kennaly Lakes, 40 minute hike-a-bike, past Rapid Lake, take a left at Boulder Lake and go down Rapid Creek. When you hit the road you take a left back to the camp ground. About 4 to 7 hours. Great ride other than the little hike. There are several spots where you will need to hike a little but the downhill on Rapid Creek is worth it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Scary Mc]Thanks for the info. It's good to know we won't be leaving singletrack behind us.

My complaint about the local trails is the drive time to get to many of the trailheads. Fortunately the trail/rail conversion is moving along to provide better access and the local CIMBA group is hell bent on creating awesome single track. Their latest project will provide multiple single track loops rideable to/from downtown mccall. I'm thinking like Fox Creek in Ketchum.

Anyway, you'll enjoy the mccall trails. and if you don't, well, like you said, help build up the future trails.

-Idahoan
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the distance to trails does suck. If you want to ride from town there are only a few options.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by accesspig
    Fortunately the trail/rail conversion is moving along to provide better access and the local CIMBA group is hell bent on creating awesome single track.
    Are you talking about the old railroad bed that runs along the Payette? I know Stuebner has been talking about that for the past couple of years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Are you talking about the old railroad bed that runs along the Payette? I know Stuebner has been talking about that for the past couple of years.

Yup. Some private land was donated extending the Cascade section and Stuebner told me most of the McCall to Lakefork section is acquired and signage/trail work is starting this summer. Announcements are expected at the July 1st fundraiser. Whitetail and Bob Hunt (owner of the hunt lodge) are developing the section from little ski hill to the existing trail near the airport. So the momentum is rolling.
    DEET is my deodorant.

Members who have read this thread: 0