Man please be careful out there (12 y.o. hit by SUV)- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Man please be careful out there (12 y.o. hit by SUV)

https://www.idahostatesman.com/238/story/56244.html

Boise police continue to investigate an accident that sent a 12-year-old boy to the hospital this morning with life threatening injuries.
    https://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/....537ef1fa.html

Officer Ryan Buzzini said the boy was not wearing a helmet and his bike did not have a headlight or reflective lights on back. It was dark out when the accident occurred.

King of the Barneys
    Yeah, I've been worried a few times driving south on 5-Mile near where I live, there are no street lights, and occasionally there are kids riding bmx bikes on the shoulder at night with no lights (or helmets, of course).

Moi? I look like a Macy's Christmas tree when I'm out roadying around town. At least 4 BRIGHT flashers going all the time, and I'm very careful.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

just a man
    I've noticed since moving to ID how lax a lot of parents are about letting their kids ride without helmets and near major roads. Call me overprotective, but my kids all must wear their helmets when they ride and I'm not letting them out onto the major roads anytime soon. Incidents like this seem to bolster my position even more. What a shame. I hope the boy is ok.

Barneys Unite!
    When commuting to work lately (since it's still dark at 0700), I have been amazed at the number of riders I see with either no lights or only a feeble tail light. And these are mostly aduts!

Me? A digital flasher in front and two in back. I can probably be mistaken for a UFO.

TF

mtnjam
    How can you ride with the white flashing disco lights in the front, every time I see one of those coming at me I almost seize....

Terry, that's probably me that you see (or don't see) once in a while biking towards St. Als...athough I do have a 15 W NiteRider and a red flasher in back, but I fail (refuse) to wear neon again...I wore too much of that skiing in the '80s.

Barneys Unite!
    Actually, I'm commuting toward St. Luke's Maybe I need to put the reflectors back on my spokes.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    6am I only see (haha...inside joke) 4 people and 4 cars....though one of the cars 2day decided to pull out in front me. Cars and auto drivers are funny to me, since my primary means of transportation is my cruiser. The whole automobile is actually quite interesting...

Wish me luck...since I ride nearly every day. I really wish people were more understanding...and attentive.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave

That sucks. I hope the kid is okay in the end.

From the article, it sounds like the driver was not at fault. I'm sure that's she's pretty shaken up too.

Be careful out there!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

King of the Barneys
    I agree, you can't stop for what you can't see. But I hope they didn't find her coffee cup, open makeup kit, and open flip phone all on the seat after the accident....

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Jan 2005
    Yeah, it's way sketchy riding the roads out here in SW Boise. It scares the **** out of me...

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Yeah, it's way sketchy riding the roads out here in SW Boise. It scares the **** out of me...
    I was on So. 10-mile one night, with very gaudy lights flashing, heading north toward the freeway overpass on the road bike, when I got pushed off the road, hit a hole, flipped through the air like a Chinese acrobat, and and landed hard right next to a big piece of rebar sticking out of the ground. yes, I stopped to thank God that I wasn't skewered.

CDB

Aug 2004
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/239/story/57925.html

A 12-year-old South Junior High School boy who was hit by a vehicle while biking to school earlier this month died Saturday.

mtnjam
    very sad news

It's too bad something like this had to happen again. I remember riding my bike to school all the time in the '80's without a helmet or lights, but there were a lot less people driving in Appleton then and seemed people were in a lot less rush.

There's gotta be a way to get all kids that ride their bikes helmets or some sort of lights...I know Sprockids has a good thing going, but not every kid that rides participates in this program.

just a man

Sad/angry

Agreed. This is a tragedy that would've most likely been averted with the proper lighting, head protection and education. Sorry to belabor the point again, but as a parent of 3 young cyclists I can't fathom the apathy and unconcern I've seen by parents here about safety and biking education. Hopefully this will trigger a few brains to take up the concern and save a few lives down the road.

Prayers for the family for comforting during this rough time.

King of the Barneys
    I agree, Craig. I've endured snarling insults when I've told parents they ought to have their kids in helmets, but that won't stop me. That's simply a no-compromise issue.

Maybe we or someone who knows how could get a grant for the public schools to hand out 2 red LED flashers to every kid who rides to school, with a handout to parents regarding the absolute necessity of helmets.

However, I think the recent tragedy will go a long ways toward getting that going on its own. FWIW, taking my daughter to school this a.m. at 730, it was quite bright out due to the time change.

CDB

Aug 2004

I'm no parent, but here is my $.02......

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    This is a tragedy that would've most likely been averted with the proper lighting, head protection and education. Sorry to belabor the point again, but as a parent of 3 young cyclists I can't fathom the apathy and unconcern I've seen by parents here about safety and biking education. Hopefully this will trigger a few brains to take up the concern and save a few lives down the road.
    Sadly, I don't think this will change the minds of many. I'm sure that some parents will put their foot down and DEMAND that their kids wear at least a helmet after hearing this tragedy, but I truly believe things will return to "normal" in a week or two. Sad, but true. Habits are hard to break.

I don't think it's because parents don't love their children, I'm sure most do, but I think you can chalk it up to a combo of the following....

* "Oh it won't happen to my kid."
    * "I didn't wear a helmet when I was a kid."
    * The perceived "geekiness" of helmets.
    * Cost issue with helmets, lights, etc.
    * Non-cyclist parents that are ignorant about all things cycling.

I'm sure there are others I may have forgotten.

*shakes head*

During a recent greeting shift , I was stationed outside and it was getting late in the afternoon when I noticed two kids sans helmets probably younger than the victim that were riding without care from the Chevron...throughou our parking lot...and then into the Golden Corral parking lot. They did this a couple of times before taking off north on Milwaukee riding on the sidewalk.

EDIT

I forgot to add that as motorists too, we have to be well aware of what is happening out on the streets and sidewalks too.

Jan 2005
    In some states, you legally have to wear a helmet if you under 16. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have a law similar to that here...

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    In some states, you legally have to wear a helmet if you under 16. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have a law similar to that here...
    The whole "I don't want the state interferring in my private life!" thing.

I *think* Idaho does have some law that states that if you are under the age of 18 are are riding on a motorcycle or ATV, then you need to wear a helmet.

-----

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....but wasn't it at the Twit Crit or maybe some Kristin Armstrong event...free or reduced priced helmets for kids were being given away?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    At the St. Als kids race from the Depot to the Capital this spring there was a group handing out free kids helmets. Can't remember which group it was. A great idea and lots of kids were walking away with helmets.

Barneys Unite!
    For that matter, how many of us have old helmets that we would be willing to give away? I've got a least two that would fit a junior high or high school kid.

TF

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Last I remember, helmets only have a design life of 3 yrs. UV exposure, sweat, and EPS degradation greatly reduce their effectiveness within those 3 years. Kids deserve a new helmet, otherwise they will think they have more protection than the really have. (Granted some protection is better than none.)
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Members who have read this thread: 0