Lucky 13 gone- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lucky 13 gone

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Lucky 13 gone

Lucky 13 moving:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/51183.html

This makes it more difficult for rich fat guys to unload their $5000 bikes from atop the Volvo and pedal in, pretending they just clicked off a quick century; line of sight from Harris Ranch stretches a mile every way. I'm thinking they'll have to unload near the bridge at Black Cliffs and actually ride a mile or two back into the new L13.

mtbr member
    The longtime Hyde Park anchor will close its doors in August 2007 after opening a second location in April in Harris Ranch.

i'm not a lucky 13 hater. i like their food, and they have a decent beer selection (but, what else do you need besides PBR?) but, i go out to dinner to relax and chow...not to be seen. and, waiting over an hour for a pizza or sandwich and standing in a line 10-deep is not worth it.

anyway, my stupid opinion on them moving from hyde park to the 'burbs - i hope they don't think they will get anywhere close to the same amount of business.

maybe that's what they want though...to slow down a little.

mtnjam
    maybe it'll mean more trails above Harris Ranch area if more mountain bikers flock to L13. Wonder if they're gonna tear down L13 and make it into condos. Hyde Park, the true Hyde Park I remember is and has been gone for a while.

Too bad they're moving from Hyde Park, but really it's not a bad thing. I've seen the traffic, posers, and piped out Harleys increase 10 fold down there in the last 5 years. It used to be a dirtbag place to hang out, but now....well....

mtbr member
    Wow. That's the suckiest news I've heard in a long time. I hope whatever/whoever takes over the old building leaves it more or less the same. The outdoor seating, proximity to the foothills, walking distance to so much of the northend, and cold adult bevareages are what made L13 a success.

I wish the owners well in their new location, but I don't think that they can reproduce the feel of L13 at Harris Ranch.

This is sad news for Boise.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I bet the residents are gonna throw a big Democratic Save the Earth One Pizza Joint Leaving at a Time party when that place is gone.

Traffic is like a big city during rush hour gridlock, the foot traffic is dangerous and the noise has got to be crazy.

Depending on who you are this is either a great thing or a sad ending.

just a man

One more reason to patronize....

Lucky/Sucky 11, which can never close down or move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    There was a rumor (circulated by regulars at Java) that L13 was going to become a Starbucks. They might as well put a Barnes & Nobel in across the street, convert Richards (or whatever it's called now) into an Olive Garden and change to float shop/Big Bikes corner (or whatever it's called now) into an REI.

I've seen courtesy vans from local hotels drop off tourists in Hyde Park to show the local color.

I hope to cobbler down the street stays open.

All this makes me want to have a hygene problem and spit at people on friday nights.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    All this makes me want to have a hygene problem and spit at people on friday nights.
    So that wasn't you that I saw last Friday? Hmmm...

As long as the Gap opens in the north end, all will be good.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    There was a rumor (circulated by regulars at Java) that L13 was going to become a Starbucks. They might as well put a Barnes & Nobel in across the street, convert Richards (or whatever it's called now) into an Olive Garden and change to float shop/Big Bikes corner (or whatever it's called now) into an REI.

I've seen courtesy vans from local hotels drop off tourists in Hyde Park to show the local color.

I hope to cobbler down the street stays open.

If that Starbucks has a drive-thru....imagine team cyclists pulling up to the mic to order their Double Fat Ego Latte with a spritz of Vanity to go.

Shoe cobbler. Believe it or not he gets business. I had some keys made. Figured he had as much action as the Commodore Computer repairman over off Orchard.

mtbr member
    "Goul promises the atmosphere of the new location will be comfortable, relaxing and not the least bit uppity."

Not uppity and Harris Ranch hah thats a good one!
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

dirt enthusiast
    yet another reason to call it schmucky 13........
    Last edited by georgezilla; 10-12-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw1
    "Goul promises the atmosphere of the new location will be comfortable, relaxing and not the least bit uppity."

Not uppity and Harris Ranch hah thats a good one!
    Harris Ranch is missing the one thing that L13 currently has... location. A bike ride that involves ending at Harris Ranch is not gonna happen for me. The idea of getting in a car to drive to a post-ride/hike is not one that will work for a lot of people.

The Harris Ranch location will need make it based on their food and service. The current location is a success based on it's location and cold beer. It's definitely a different business model.

Sep 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hey CP! Nice photo of the Pig's butt!!! Anyway, having lived here most of my life, I feel like weighing in on this one. I got the email from a friend this morning and sent the following email reply:

"hmm. I have mixed emotions on this. On one side, I thought that the vibe totally changed for mtn bikers after the Garage opened. It became much more of a local bar/meat market than a good place to hang out post ride in lycra shorts. Also the prices steadily went up on all the beers over the last few years (except on PBR!) and that drove many dirtball bikers like myself down the street to other locations such as Parilla. In fact, I didn't stop at L13 at all this year, a sad fact considering I spent literally every Monday night there during the summer riding season for about 15 years (of course, I didn't ride much in general this year, but that's another topic entirely.)

However, to have them open on my side of town is a good thing. I truly detest Me Time as they have a crappy policy about mtn bikers and other Greenbelt users (no free water and they used to yell if you come in wearing cleated bike shoes), poor hours (for a coffee shop), and limited selection. Having a new place by the Ranch will increase riding on that side of the Foothills and hopefully lead to improvements in the trail system. Choice is good..

I do really like Hyde Park and the surrounding neighborhood and as sad as it is to see an "institution" leave the area, another place will pop up there like mushrooms after a rain. What will be truly interesting is to now see how having that many new places (Bown Crossing will sport 4 restaurants/bars alone!) will compete with existing businesses (namely Ben's Crow Inn, long thought of as the Eastside's L13.)
    -mm"

....anyway, that is my two cents on the gig. I've been eating their food since high school and drinking their beer. It's always been overpriced, but it was really all about the location, the scenery, and fellow riders. All that has changed and it isn't (and hasn't been) the same for some time now. On the bright side, it'll be a shorter ride (albeit swerving) home from the "new" L13 if I even go there much at all. Ben's Crow Inn rocks that side of town and has much more reasonable prices (an only slightly longer swerve home, but well worth the ride!)
    -p*

PS-if I just built a pump track in my backyard, I wouldn't have to worry about where my rides started and ended and whether or not the beer was cheap or cold!! Maybe Bombin is onto something there...
    Last edited by pstar; 10-12-2006 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

More breaking news

According to an article published by The San Francisco Chronicle, It's not exactly "Presidents Gone Wild!" but for the normally staid Group of Eight Summit, a video of President George W. Bush sidling behind German Chancellor Angela Merkel and delivering an impromptu neck rub is, well, as wild as it gets.

The scene, captured by a Russian TV camera, hit the Internet like a summer wildfire Tuesday, and it may be most memorable for the German chancellor's reaction. Bush applies his hands to Merkel's shoulders and neck while she's speaking with Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi; the chancellor hunches her shoulders, then throws her hands up to stop the unexpected massage with a wan smile -- and an expression which can best be translated as "Ewwww."

In an interview later by Zit the Cat, Bush responded, “Once I get my arse handed to me in the next election, I am thinking about hitting the road and heading to Idaho. I hear them’s got’s a place up there were people go to be see and rub each other. Thinking about buy’n the place out. Even thunk’n bout change’n the name from “Luck 13” to The “Luck Frotteurist.”

I bet lycra sales drop and baggy prices go through the roof.

mtbr member
    although i doubt that hyde park will return to the place it was when i was growing up, i suppose i'm sorry to see lucky's go just because it is one of the only original places left in h.p. i'm not crazy about their food, but it is a local institution for us maiden boise folks who grew up in the neighborhood. we for the most part have ingnored the poseurs and felt comfortable there.

on the way home from school my brother and i used to bug the guys at lucky's for free sodas after we hit the 7-11 (now stinker) to stuff charleston chews up our sleeves. (poor north end hippie kids got NO sugar...we had to adapt...) hyde park is still somewhere i like to go, even if it isn't what it was. i just hope that they put in an affordable alternative to the other upscale eats...other than parilla. you know, for the mere mortals who have somehow managed to hold on to property in this neighborhood while it blows up around us (i'm not complaining about the valule of my property, just nostalgic about how it used to be us little people.) we were scared to death of development along hull's gulch and faught in the early 90's for its protection from development...(remember the 'save hulls gulch' tee with the frog on it? remember anne hausrath?)

development is so imminent now that we all just crane our necks upward and say 'aah, another mcmansion'.

so i guess lucky 13 moving is just one more step in the evolution of my hometown neighborhood into a swanky destination to be and be seen. whatever. just don't mess with the trail access and for gawd sakes don't take away the bookstore/post office (a riot of north end peasants would insue) and this will remain the only place in boise i want to call home.

or maybe a mass migration will folllow lucky 13 to harris ranch....
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Aug 2004
    Hey...there's always Lucky 11 as Craig pointed out!!!

mtbr member
    I have only 2 thoughts.
    1. Harris Ranch = Stepford....and everyone knows that ROBOTS do NOT eat pizza or drink beer. It will suck.
    2. There is only 1 chicken grande pizza, it's at Lucky 13. When they close, it won't be the end of the world, but, it will make me sad. Almost as sad as the day that College In & Out closed across from Bronco Stadium...when I ate my last Bronco Burger. Now that was sad.
    3. There will ALWAYS be Lucky 11, and Natty at the Pump Track!!!!

Jan 2005
    My rides now start and end at the same place now, and there's almost all you can eat just 15 feet from the trailhead. Also, the trails are almost unknown, and only a few people have ever ridden or even seen them.

It happens to be my backyard. Pump Tracks rule!!!

And just so everyone knows, I don't care about Lucky 13 just because pertty much anyone I've ever seen there seems like someone I'd like to avoid. Maybe back in the day that place was cool, but now it's just plain gay...

Trevor that smartass 16 year old that thinks he knows all

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Lucky 13 moving:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/51183.html

This makes it more difficult for rich fat guys to unload their $5000 bikes from atop the Volvo and pedal in, pretending they just clicked off a quick century; line of sight from Harris Ranch stretches a mile every way. I'm thinking they'll have to unload near the bridge at Black Cliffs and actually ride a mile or two back into the new L13.
    Like everybody else, I've had great times there. But lately, it has been too crowded, beer price continually lurches further into the stratosphere, and well, it's just too bad. Where will the roadies go to show off their shaved legs to each other??

Some of the best memories are when my kids used to ride with me and we'd stop there for pizza after a ride, and a couple times groups leaving offered us their left-over pizzas. My kids must've looked especially hungry or something.

I'll miss the Belle of Brumback, for sure...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Look out!
    Here are my thoughts on the possible demise of Lucky 13. What if this is just a ploy to move the stalled negotiations along in a more favorable direction for the owner of Lucky 13? Go public and try to get pressure put on the owner of the building to come to terms? On the other hand perhaps the owner of the property wants to go into business for herself/himself. Any future renovations will have to go through the Historic Preservation committee. I would imagine that the northenders, (Of which I am one), would not let the building change too drastically. Maybe new blood will stimulate the area. Life is a series of changes, some good, some bad, but always interesting.
    Ride the bike.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    Here are my thoughts on the possible demise of Lucky 13. What if this is just a ploy to move the stalled negotiations along in a more favorable direction for the owner of Lucky 13? Go public and try to get pressure put on the owner of the building to come to terms? On the other hand perhaps the owner of the property wants to go into business for herself/himself. Any future renovations will have to go through the Historic Preservation committee. I would imagine that the northenders, (Of which I am one), would not let the building change too drastically. Maybe new blood will stimulate the area. Life is a series of changes, some good, some bad, but always interesting.
    Change is inevitable, and as much as I appreciate their mochas from time to time, another Starbucks, for me, anyway, is not "always interesting." Yawwwwn....

Now if I would have invested when they were still a funky little closet on 1st Ave in Seattle, then I would stand up and cheer, for sure...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mortman
    Aug 2006

Lucky Schmucky

Who cares about Lucky 13.......

That picture posted by Bombin4x has GREETING CARD written all over it.

Members who have read this thread: 0