Lost Trail Pass-Looking for Beta- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lost Trail Pass-Looking for Beta

Family of 4 making our way up to Whitefish and then Canada from hot Arizona in early July. I'm thinking of taking hwy43 from Wisdom and doing a stop at Big Hole Nat. Battlefield and then camping somewhere around Lost Trail Pass.

Option A. Camp at Warm Springs or Crazy Creek campground off FSR370 Medicine Springs Rd and doing the Fire Creek-Warm Springs loop while the girls sleep in (as described in the Montana Singletrack book). Fire Creek looks doable as a climb but probably way more fun as a downhill and it looks like the loop could be done in either direction. Lost Trails: Lost Trail

Option B. Camp off 43 at Trail Creek Campground or find a dispersed camping spot off Saddle Mountain Rd and doing the Overwhich Falls-Warm Springs Creek shuttle ride.

I did the Warm Springs ride from Porcupine Saddle with a shuttle in 2009 and it was pretty awesome. But looking for opinions on either option and whether the trails will even be free of snow or downfall. I've been eyeballing the snowtel site for Mile-Sheep which I hope to hit on the return leg and there's still a 20" base. https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportG...ue,TAVG::value

Any info appreciated! I'll drag my daughters out on their bikes at the resort in Whitefish. A ride in the Lost Trail Pass area will be solo or with wifey and my oldest daughter driving the shuttle earning her keep

All fat, all the time.
    Rode that trail a couple years ago, fun downhill! We climbed the gravel on the way up. Not terrible, but if you have a shuttle driver......Well....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Rode that trail a couple years ago, fun downhill! We climbed the gravel on the way up. Not terrible, but if you have a shuttle driver......Well....
    By gravel you mean the Saddle Mountain Rd?

I guess I'll call Chad at Red Barn Bikes in Hamilton for trail conditions. Haven't been to the area in a long time.

mtbr member
    There is an annual Trail Day up there every year on National Trails Day...1st Saturday in June.

They put up a post on FaceCrack about clearing.... "Thanks to everyone who showed up to help clear trails on Warm Springs this year. They had their work cut out for them. Unfortunately turn out was way down from previous years. . While we got most everything cleared, there was no time for brushing, or any trail maintenance. Remember these are your trails and we need your help getting them clear."

mtbr member
    If you are going to loop, yes Fire Creek is a better descent...but either direction is fun.

If you don't mind hefty climbing, riding up Porcupine (205) is doozy but it gives you most of Warm Springs Ridge to descend w/ a Fire Creek option when you get to that junction.

It has been very warm here in Salmon...I would guess most of the snow is gone. There are still some trees down on the top end of Warm Spgs Ridge between Saddle Mtn and Porcupine Trailhead. There may be some snow on that stretch too as it is shaded and north aspect.

While the Ridge is a classic descent when shuttling, Colter Creek is another great ride and has a fairly burly section from Overwhich Falls to the mouth of Porcupine Cr. Shields Cr. gives a good upper option to Colter. I do not know if those upper trails were cleared of trees. Check in w/ Red Barn for that info.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'm heading that way tomorrow. Seems like it's hot everywhere.

mtbr member
    Checked with Red Barn but they didn't know whether Colter and Overwhich had been cleared. Opted for Warm Springs Ridge and Fire Creek-good stuff! Thanks for all those doing advocacy in Montana keeping those types of trails open to bikes.