Loon Lake conditions?- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Loon Lake conditions?

Just got off the phone with someone up at the McCall Ranger District and she said the Loon Lake trail was open, but was unaware of the current conditions, but did say to expect some downed trees.

Was wondering if some of our McCall compadres had a better report for Loon Lake?

Looks like the forecast for the mountain areas is looking good for this upcoming weekend!!! May have to head outta town either on Sunday or Monday.

Nick
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Just got off the phone with someone up at the McCall Ranger District and she said the Loon Lake trail was open, but was unaware of the current conditions, but did say to expect some downed trees.

Was wondering if some of our McCall compadres had a better report for Loon Lake?

Looks like the forecast for the mountain areas is looking good for this upcoming weekend!!! May have to head outta town either on Sunday or Monday.

Nick
    I'm heading to the LBS now to see if my new Magura Marta SL is in...so i'll get the report. I might even try the ride tomorrow before ya'll get here.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Just talked to jon at alpine sciences and the trail is wet, wet, wet. but the fallen trees were cleared saturday.
    DEET is my deodorant.

Hi!!!
    Looks like Thursday you guys are expecting scattered thunderstorms and then the rest of the weekend it is looking clear with afternoon temps on Sun & Mon upper 60s/low 70s. Looks like that is the same forecast for Cascade as well.

Maybe better to try to tackle Eagle's Nest now and wait another week or two for Loon to dry out? Speaking of...any newer Eagle's Nest updates?

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member
    Maybe better to try to tackle Eagle's Nest now and wait another week or two for Loon to dry out? Speaking of...any newer Eagle's Nest updates?

Thanks

Nick[/QUOTE]

He said Eagle's Nest is in great shape.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member

Loon lake is in excellent condition

Nick- I just finished the loon lake loop from Chinook campground. I went trail 80-84-81. It is in excellent shape. Talked to some motorcyclers and their group BROCK (sp??) cleared all of the trees last weekend. Saw 2 mtn bikers, 3 deer, 1 moose. Enjoy your ride.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    So I googled "loon lake trail conditions" and found this thread. Not sure the dates of it but is this current info? I'm thinking about heading there early Sat.

Thanks,
    Cracka

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka
    So I googled "loon lake trail conditions" and found this thread. Not sure the dates of it but is this current info? I'm thinking about heading there early Sat.

Thanks,
    Cracka
    Hmmmm, never ridden it yet....tempting...what time you leaving Boise?

mtbr member
    The Loon Lake ride is gorgeous. Try riding Loon in the morning and if you're up there just for a day trip, hit Eagle's Nest on the way home...

Hi!!!
    Here are my pix from May '04:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/5C1F8564500EAA8

Loon Lake is an awesome ride or hike/backpack!

It does take a bit to get up there (just keep that in mind if you are just day tripping it), but it's worth it! Otherwise there are campgrounds in the area if you want to make a weekend out of it (Bear Pete or 20 Mile come to mind). Upper Payette Lake is a good spot since it's on Warren Wagon. Last Chance is on the other side (west) of Brundage. There is Ponderosa State Park, but that thing is always booked on summer weekends. Chinook (where the Loon trailhead is) is nice, but not too many spaces. I'm sure there are dispersed sites off of Warren Wagon as well, but I haven't hit those yet. I think you can camp at Burgdorf?

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka

Thanks,
    Cracka
    Other than here, your best bet to get up-to-date trail conditions on the McCall area is to check here:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/cimbacycle/

...as well as:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/payette/recr...r_report.shtml (which is way-out-of-date now)

Or call one of the Ranger Districts:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/payette/contact/

mtbr member
    I just got off the phone with Yogi Bear and he said Hey Hey Boo Boo, the trails are looking good... not to wet! I'm debating a ride there, probably leave about 7 am Sat or so. Anyone else interested? The loop I di last time was to start at Ruby Meadows, to the lake, then to the campground, following the river, then the road back to the meadows. About an 18 mile loop. BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, be happy!
    here's the max single track variation, about 16 miles I think. Start at Chinook campground climb out of the river basin and head to Ruby Meadows, ride Ruby Meadows until you run out of singletrack, double back, hit Loon Lake for lunch and a swim and a nap, then down into the Secesh canyon for the return to Chinook Campground. All singletrack, no jeep roads.

mtbr member
    Definitely sounds good. I'm stoked as I had such a great time out there last time.

Don't worry, be happy!
    mmmm and ice cream in town afterwards. Maybe Cbro can tell you where the cliff jump is on Payetter lake.

Members who have read this thread: 0