Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek loop in Northern Idaho- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek loop in Northern Idaho

Have any of you ridden the Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek Loop? Nothing came up in a search. If you've ridden it, what was your impression of it? We're planning on riding at Silver Mountain in mid-September and are looking for an alpine trail day somewhere in that area.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...ble-creek-loop

Don't worry, be happy!
    I know the guy that wrote that review. He's an animal....34 miles.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Lost Creek out of Kingston just got cleared and is rideable for the first time in years. I'd recommend that one! 12 up loggin road, 9 singletrack down.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/lost-creek-5943/

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Lost Creek out of Kingston just got cleared and is rideable for the first time in years. I'd recommend that one! 12 up loggin road, 9 singletrack down.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/lost-creek-5943/
    Hey, awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. It's not far from Silver Mountain at all.

Don't worry, be happy!
    North Fork of CDA River has Indenpendence Creek. Haven't done it myself but it's supposed to be a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    It's a little further, but the St Regis River trail isn't too far away:

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/st...ver-trail-223/

Bernard is always a good ride as well:

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/bernard-peak/

Nat
    mtbr member
    Excellent. Iíll read up on all of those suggestions. Thanks!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Here's the thing about Bernard imsho... it's a great climb and descent but there's almost no view. You get to the top, pop out on a dirt road and....?? for what??? Getting a view at the top is part of the fun. :-)

All fat, all the time.
    Here's the thing about Bernard imsho... it's a great climb and descent but there's almost no view. You get to the top, pop out on a dirt road and....?? for what??? Getting a view at the top is part of the fun. :-)
    The best part of that ride is adding Scout at the end and trying to ride it at a decent speed

One of my favorite descents just north of Silver mt, is Graham Creek. There is no easy way to the top though (both east fork and coal creek have hike a bike up because of steepness), ridge across will work you, or long gravel up to the top. But oh baby the downhill is amazing if you like rocks, then the lower east fork back to highway is like riding in a rainforest.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I've got some friends that have been doing a ton of exploring of the wallace/avery/st joe area on motos. They say the ascents are brutal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nat

I rode lookout mtn trail that you are describing many years ago. it is great if you are in the area. the marble creek area has lots of history. be warned, it is not super close to silver.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    nat

I rode lookout mtn trail that you are describing many years ago. it is great if you are in the area. the marble creek area has lots of history. be warned, it is not super close to silver.
    Thank you.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Regarding riding in the areas around Kellogg: bear bells/spray?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    personal decision, yes there are lots of predators, saw a mtn lion last night 1\2 mile from the house, i was driving. I very rarely carry a weapon(bear spray is one), but i have a buddy that does all the time.

the bells are just silly.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    personal decision, yes there are lots of predators, saw a mtn lion last night 1\2 mile from the house, i was driving. I very rarely carry a weapon(bear spray is one), but i have a buddy that does all the time.

the bells are just silly.
    Thank you.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Someone in my travel group suggested this section of the Idaho Centennial Trail: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/id...l-trail-70023/

Have any of you ridden it? What do you think about it?

Don't worry, be happy!
    Haven't done that but Lost Creek right next to it just got cleared for the first time in 9 (?) years and it is a blast.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Haven't done that but Lost Creek right next to it just got cleared for the first time in 9 (?) years and it is a blast.
    That's the route I offered to our group due to your earlier suggestion but for some reason one of the guys countered with the ID Centennial trail. I think I'll take your recommendation and that other guy can go wherever he wants.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thank you very much Formica for suggesting the Lost Creek Trail. We rode up to it today and added a side excursion up to the saddle between Lost Peak and Bloom Peak. We thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek loop in Northern Idaho-670954e2-5fa2-432c-80c1-2ce949a9d00f.jpg  

Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek loop in Northern Idaho-75ab660c-021e-47a2-a6e9-4404e1664971.jpg  

Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek loop in Northern Idaho-9765ab50-8283-495f-8810-97f2d2a049ff.jpg  

mtbr member
    How were the trail conditions? That one section looks like quite the hike-a-bike. Was most of it pretty rideable? Was it an out and back?

Nat
    mtbr member
    We rode it as a loop with an out-and-back to the ridge. The singletrack was completely rideable although thereís a couple of miles descending off the top with heavy brush. There also was one large tree down across the trail about one mile from the bottom. At the top there was a tremendous amount of feces on the trail, both equine and something else. The ďelseĒ looked disconcertingly like human stool. There was a makeshift shelter off the trail way back there that looked as if whoever is using it has been there awhile. We unfortunately didnít see any wildlife. There were a ton of hunters at the bottom but we didnít see any along the trail. They mightíve been camouflaged I suppose.

Don't worry, be happy!
    You are talking about the ridge out and back above, right? I've seen the worse sort of makeshift redneck outhouses /lack of human waste disposal up in the Panhandle. Sad and disgusting. Not having ever done that ridge portion, would you say it's worth while? Normally we just ride up the FS road (or shuttle) and do the Lost Creek portion.

Nat
    mtbr member
    The out and back to the saddle was great as the view from up top was highlight of our ride actually. I like being able to get to high alpine zones where you can see out across long distances. If you have time and energy Iíd say definitely do it.

The waste and the shelter was on the Lost Creek Trail. I got a giant glob of feces flung onto my bike to where it stuck on the pivot area. I tried to clean it off as well as I could with a stick but I could only do so much without a water hose. It smelled so foul the rest of the day until I could get back to town and wash it off. Blecch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek loop in Northern Idaho-1d0e90e1-8e71-4e44-82c9-df029282b02a.jpg  

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    I rode the Lost Creek about a month ago. Pretty good, I saw a couple of black bears and LOTS of huckleberries. They serve 90 Shilling on tap at the Snake Pit for after ride refreshments.

Lookout Mountain/Marble Creek loop in Northern Idaho-image1-4.jpg
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Hmm, not sure I want to take my brand-spanking-new bike through that. Did you think to take a GPS reading so it can be reported to USFS?

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    And give away my huckleberry picking spot? No way dude, lol. Lake City Trail Alliance is who did the work to clear the trail.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Card carrying member of LCTA. :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    found another gooder out of taft yesterday. domionion peak and creek trails 808 and 248 i believe.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Lost Creek again. Was up there Friday. The fall colors were spectacular. We did see about 4 hunting camps around and made sure to wear our safety colors. Other than some bear scat and a couple of horse piles, we did not have any poop issues, human or otherwise.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1871766783

All fat, all the time.
    Lost Creek again. Was up there Friday. The fall colors were spectacular. We did see about 4 hunting camps around and made sure to wear our safety colors. Other than some bear scat and a couple of horse piles, we did not have any poop issues, human or otherwise.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1871766783
    Cool video!

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    wow! that was awesome

Don't worry, be happy!
    @geargrrl on instagram if you want to see photos. It's turning into a real PITA to post photos here these days.