Looking for a softshell- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looking for a softshell

For use on and off the bike. Must have zipped pit and not be more than $150 msrp. An athletic cut is preferred as is a full zip including a zip neck. Basic color of black or darker color; nothing that screams "bike gear" so I can wear it for other activities.

What do you guys and gals have for use in 20+ temps.

mtbr member
    dan..check out these guys:

http://www.beyondfleece.com/

you can customize your softshell. prices start at $150, i think, and you can add features from there like pit zips, etc.

good luck.

i've always found that arcteryx stuff always fits really athletically...i notice because their stuff doesn't have "beer belly" fits.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Speaking of softshell next time you're in San Diego go to the Gaslight district and look for a little middle eastern resaurant across the street from a Hooters. They serve a softshell crab that will change your life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How much?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You might check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com. They have good stuff and it is usually fairly cheap.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Dang. Food.

Food good. Food for cycling better...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

You will still have to do a bit of layering for 20 zone with a soft shell. That aside, REI used to make a jacket with Windstopper on the front and sleeves only, and fleece on the inside. I use mine to the low 30 range with one very light insulating layer, and one wicking layer. Sometimes I just use a wicking layer. Check it out at their site. They should have some updated versions of that jacket. Also surf the XC-ski jackets at REI. I think most of them are below your requested price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    You will still have to do a bit of layering for 20 zone with a soft shell. That aside, REI used to make a jacket with Windstopper on the front and sleeves only, and fleece on the inside. I use mine to the low 30 range with one very light insulating layer, and one wicking layer. Sometimes I just use a wicking layer. Check it out at their site. They should have some updated versions of that jacket. Also surf the XC-ski jackets at REI. I think most of them are below your requested price range.
    Thanks, all. Maybe 20 d is a bit aggressive. 30's is better in all brutal honesty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Thanks, all. Maybe 20 d is a bit aggressive. 30's is better in all brutal honesty.
    once you get moving...you'll be fine.

for touring on my spiltboard...i wear a light/medium base layer (next to skin) and then my arcteryx softshell (so it'll breath, and i won't over heat). pit zips are nice to cool down some. then, put on the laminate for the ride down. same would be good for mtn. biking. put on a laminate (gore tex or similar) for the ride down.

my biggest problem mtn. biking in the winter is my feet.

dirt enthusiast
    i have two softshells, one patagucci and one mtn hardware. neither one has pit zips but ventilate very well. i use them every morning for my daily hike in the footies, snow shoeing or warmer days boarding. i got both of them on screaming deals~ about $150 for the patagucci and $90 for the mtn hardware. both have a light fleece lining and need underlayers for warmth. i have no problems with either one as long as i keep moving and i could easily wear them for mtn biking. surly just picked up an arc' teryx from rei for about $170 and loves it! i must say that i'm a little jealous of his pit zips though! good websites to check are rei & reioutlet.com, backcountry and backcountryoutlet.com, sierratradingpost.com and if you have lots of patience, try steepandcheap.com they put up a new screaming deal multiple times a day~things are generally at least 50% off.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a red craft one that looks like a normal jacket. Its 100% waterproof so its warm when its cold. Anything above 50 and you will cook in it while riding. It works fine as a light weight jacket. It retails for under 100, 75ish I think. They have some at georges on state. Worth checking it out.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    It all depends on what kind of softshell you want. The term is kind of generic these days, like "kleenex". There are softshells of many weights, from light wicking to softshells with serious fleece linings and wind block properties. WB400 (Schoeller Mills) or Powershield ( Malden Mills) would be nice and warm for low temps. I've ridden in the lighter weight dryskins in the 30's with no problem, just layer correctly.

formica

just rode in a Schoeller LS jersey with a wicking/windproof base layer underneath and a windvest on top of all that. i was plenty warm. the temp when I left was 32. Balmy compared to this morning's ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0