Local (Boise) source for On One Mary bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Local (Boise) source for On One Mary bars?

Does anyone know of a local shop that has On One Mary bars? A recent case of tendonitis just won't go away. Unfortunately it's worst when on my bike. A different hand position may help. My choices include going back to bar end or trying some Marys. I'm hesitant to plunk down the bucks if end up disliking them.

TwistedCrank - I assume that the Surly SS in the Owyhee thread is yours. How do you like the Marys? Anyone else out there tried 'em?

HH

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    No local distributors. PricePoint can get them to you in a week.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...-Hanldebar.htm

I have them on my 1x1 and my Karate Monkey. I've had no wrist pain since I put them on. It took about 2 weeks to get used to - after that the just keep getting better. The only negative I have on them is highspeed descents with chatter bumps make you feel like your hands are shifting forward. Good grips really help with that though - I have Salsa Pepperjacks and ODI Lockons.

There is kind of a learning curve with them but anymore when I get on my double squishy gears with low risers I feel like I'm squeezing a broomstick and dry humping a pillow. But that's another story altogether.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Thanks, I think....

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    ... but anymore when I get on my double squishy gears with low risers I feel like I'm squeezing a broomstick and dry humping a pillow. But that's another story altogether.
    Thanks for the info about the bars. I guess I'll just have to cough up the bucks and give 'em a try. As far as what it feels like to be back on a bike with low risers... I'm a visual guy, and that's not something I needed to get in my mind! I'm not going to ask how you know what that feels like, but thanks for the Monday morning laugh!

HH

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I use them as well and my experience with them is basically the same as TC's (except for the dry humping part). Also, l can't over emphasize the importance of good grips. You end up putting some pretty hefty forces on them, both forward and back, especially if you angle them down a little. I learned this the hard way on a standing climb when my grip slipped right off the end causing me to eat stem. Lockons are the way to go. Other than that, and the somewhat awkward computer/light mounting, I love them. They completely solved some wrist problems I was having.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    Does anyone know of a local shop that has On One Mary bars?
    Any LBS can order them from you through BTI. Salsa also makes a 26" flat bar with an 11 degree bend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

A New Visual

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    I learned this the hard way on a standing climb when my grip slipped right off the end causing me to eat stem. Lockons are the way to go.

Thanks, Mr.Bob! Eating stem? That's a more painful, but more tolerable visual than some Twisted guy grabbing a broomstick and having his way with an innocent pillow!

I'm sold on lock-ons already, but they seem like they are more important on the Marys.

HH

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Thanks, Flip!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Any LBS can order them from you through BTI. Salsa also makes a 26" flat bar with an 11 degree bend.
    Yeah - I'd order locally, but I was hoping that some shop had some in stock. I hate to make shops order something if there's a chance I might not buy it; especially with an odd item that might sit in their shop.

I currently use the Salsa bar you mentioned and generally like it. At least it's a flat bar, so I won't suffer too much abuse from my friends if I stick bar ends on it again. Saw a pic (from Interbike?) of a 17 degree riser bar from Salsa. That could be an interesting option if it hits the market.

HH

Lacticacid head
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    Yeah - I'd order locally, but I was hoping that some shop had some in stock. I hate to make shops order something if there's a chance I might not buy it; especially with an odd item that might sit in their shop.

I currently use the Salsa bar you mentioned and generally like it. At least it's a flat bar, so I won't suffer too much abuse from my friends if I stick bar ends on it again. Saw a pic (from Interbike?) of a 17 degree riser bar from Salsa. That could be an interesting option if it hits the market.

HH
    When I tried to order from Pricepoint, they were on Backorder, I wound up getting them off Ebay, and the seller was from Pocatello ! he seems to have em in stock, and the "buy it now" price was in the same 'hood" as Pricepoint. I put on clamp on grips, and love the Bars!
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Thanks, Cap'n

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tripps
    I wound up getting them off Ebay, and the seller was from Pocatello!
    Thanks, Cap'n! I'll go check it out. I'm assuming the seller was ibikedoyou. I've seen that ebay store, but haven't bought anything from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tripps
    ... put on clamp on grips, and love the Bars!
    hmmm.. I'm noticing a trend here

I think I figured out a way to get these bars without worrying if I just through 50 or 60 bucks out the window - one of my brothers-in-law just drew my name in the family Christmas gift draw. He just sent me a note asking what I want. Perfect timing!

Thanks for the feedback and help, everyone!

HH

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    DH - When you get 'em, let me know what you think. I've been toying with the idea of buying a set myself. I took a brief jaunt on Twisted's Monkey on Saturday and, compared to the 28.5" Race Face Diabolus bars I run on both of my singles, the Mary felt kinda narrow, but oddly comfortable. Not nearly as comfortable as dry humping my pillow, but much better than eating stem. I prefer my stem with Salsa instead of ketchup anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Y'all are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    DH - When you get 'em, let me know what you think. I've been toying with the idea of buying a set myself. I took a brief jaunt on Twisted's Monkey on Saturday and, compared to the 28.5" Race Face Diabolus bars I run on both of my singles, the Mary felt kinda narrow, but oddly comfortable. Not nearly as comfortable as dry humping my pillow, but much better than eating stem. I prefer my stem with Salsa instead of ketchup anyway.
    EP,

I would bet that any bars would feel narrow compared to your RF bars! I'll let you know when (or if) I get them. I may even let you try them, but there's NO way I'm letting you or TC anywhere near any of my pillows!

HH

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

More Bike Lust & News From Salsa

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    Thanks, Rockhound! You're killing me with that link, though - I've been wanting to replace my tandem for while, and the Conquistador has been on the top of my list, but I'll be saving pennies for quite a while.

On another note, I sent a message to Salsa about the 17 degree bar. Here's their reply:

Yes! We are going to make a 17 deg bar in both carbon and alloy. They will be in stock sometime in Feb or so. BTI actually doesn't have our stuff but the shop can order them from QBP.

-Pepperman

HH

Members who have read this thread: 0