Leverich trail re-construction discussion...- Mtbr.com
    jones'in

Leverich trail re-construction discussion...

...going on over at TGR:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=130753

Greg/John,
    Might be helpful if one (or both) of you chime in over there. Unfortunately, the trail re-route and re-construction isn't being communicated very broadly and I think people are just jumping to conclusions about what is going on. I know very little about the new trail, other than the fact that the FS has been working with several of you to plan the new route. Might be worth your while to educate some local bikers who are getting pretty worked up over this. Hell, some additional information would be interesting for me too.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Aug 2008

Forest Service research

Hey guys---

just moved to Bozeman, registered with mtbr and saw your posts. I've been pouring over the local mountain bike maps and can't believe how many trails are shut down to bikes. more are coming for sure. I've been coming up here in the summers for the past 20 years and have been riding on the west side of paradise valley for the most part. most of those trails are shut down now. Anyway, I found a website that lists all of the forest services proposed schedule of actions. They update it 4 times a year and if you check it each time you can see what they're planning on doing with all of our land.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/sopa/components...1-2008-07.html
    I haven't ridden Leverich yet but was going to hit it this week. Is the FS blocking all of the lines, or just the ones they think are "dangerous"?

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by dharma bum
    I haven't ridden Leverich yet but was going to hit it this week. Is the FS blocking all of the lines, or just the ones they think are "dangerous"?
    They're just blocking the existing 'elevator shaft' routes while they re-route it. As far as I know, the main Leverich route is still open.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

mtbr member
    I think you're right Venom, about folks jumping to conclusions. ToneCapone sounds a bit paranoid - where was he when local riders were working with the USFS to plan the re-route and to haggle over the timesharing?

I don't DH so I don't have a handle on the re-route specifics. I am pretty pleased with the timeshare deal though. Shoot, Emerald is only closed for one or two days and even that only occurs for a short part of the year. I think it's open to bikes all week long after the first week of Sept.

I hate to say it but as Bozeman gets more and more riders wearing body armour and full face helmets to ride Leverich (main trail), Emerald, Sypes, etc there is certainly going to be a perception that those trails are not safe for hiking anymore. The timeshare deal will get the hikers concentrated during times when no riders are on them and I think that's good for everyone.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    I hate to say it but as Bozeman gets more and more riders wearing body armour and full face helmets to ride Leverich (main trail), Emerald, Sypes, etc there is certainly going to be a perception that those trails are not safe for hiking anymore. The timeshare deal will get the hikers concentrated during times when no riders are on them and I think that's good for everyone.
    I agree that the timeshare is a good idea, for the reasons you stated.

I'm quite frequently one of the full-face/body armor wearing bikers on a number of local trails. I do intend to continue riding this way, but respectfully of course. I run into hikers all the time...I stop, let them pass, and say 'hi'. Most are super nice and actually really curious about my attire . The guys I ride with all do the same, so that (hopefully) we don't perpetuate the hair-on-fire-balls-to-the-wall-trail-destructos. I think that it's OK to ride fast as long as you're riding responsibly and in control, so that you *can* stop when necessary and you're not destroying the trail. Riding way outside of my comfort zone is reserved for resort riding, where I won't run over a family on a hike.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    I'm quite frequently one of the full-face/body armor wearing bikers on a number of local trails. I do intend to continue riding this way, but respectfully of course...
    --Ben
    That's key, and hopefully this year's batch of MSU students will act the same way.

I have no problem with folks getting geared up for safety - I wouldn't have as many problems with my jaw if full face helmets were as common (and light, ventilated) when I started riding.

But, as the TGR discussion shows, (and one that we had here when the timeshare issue came up a while back) not everyone is as respectful of hikers, the USFS, rules, each other, etc as they ought to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Haven't been on for a few days and just found this thread. Sorry that I don't have enough time to answer properly.

The F.S. is now going to do the downhill section (Elevator Shaft) first. Some people may think it is getting closed, but no worries. Go ride somewhere else for a few weeks. When done we will have almost twice as much trail as we do now, it'll be sustainable too. It's design is a cooperative one between the F.S. team and a couple of really great local riders. It should flow really well. We will have opportunities in the future to add to it. More later.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just read the stuff on TGR. Lots of cr*p there. Interesting they are ticketing people on Emerald. Either the signs aren't working, or people are too stubborn to adjust plans. When Emerald is closed, Hyalite is open, just around the corner. When Hyalite is closed, Emerald is open. What is tragic is that in the Hyalite basin, there is probably a hundred miles of super trails, many are off the map. People need to explore, open their minds up to finding other routes. That is what the elevator shaft is, an explored trail from over 20 years ago. It just happens to be undergoing an overhaul to make it official now.

I apologize for not posting on TGR, but those TGR administrator guys don't answer their emails, and have screwed up my registration. Tony and Cowdog can find their way over to here. Thanks Ben for giving me a heads up.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    I for one am stoked on the DH trails.

Hikers are nice for the most part, its the horseback riders i hate (and dogs)....does not mean I'm a dick to em. I try to be nice to everyone I guess, no need in being stubborn, I like to go fast, they like to sit on a fat stupid animal...to each their own.

Honestly, I don't see why people are so bent out of shape about Emerald, its a pretty good biking trail I guess, but nothing epic IMO. The top sections are fun and fast, but the bottom is pretty flat.

If people are looking for a long decent grade downhill, go out to Shafthouse, it blows Emerald out of the water IMO.

Salad Days
    Greg, I just posted over on TGR about this. The FS is really going for it up leverich apparently. I hope the reroute turns out as good as I think it will.

Members who have read this thread: 0