leaving to visit Boise this Friday-ish (July 6th)...- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

leaving to visit Boise this Friday-ish (July 6th)...

Should I bring my bike? We're (wife and three kids) just going to look around to refresh my wife's memory of the place, look for places to rent (or a house to buy), start the registration process on my truck, and maybe talk to some electrical contractors about work. I'm not sure how much free time I'd have, or whether it's even worth it to spend the extra money on fuel in order to transport my bike on top of the mini-van. I just wanted to know if there was anything happening that I could absolutely not miss out on. There will be plenty of opportunities in the future to ride of course, so maybe I'll skip out on the "discussion" with my wife about hauling my bike up.

mtbr member
    It is supposed to be 108 degrees on Friday, if that influences your decision.

just a man

Do It

Royta - Bring the bike. Catch a ride or two. I'll be leaving town next Monday for a week so won't get to ride with you. However, hook up with CBro or some others on here for a little taste of the local footies. And again, if you need info on housing, I'm happy to help.

Have a great trip,

CP

over researcher
    OK, I've been in town since Saturday evening. No, I didn't bring my bike. There is no way I'd be able to break away for a ride. I'm trying to line up some interviews before I leave, and we're looking for a house to rent in an area we know we'll like for the time being. Then we can find the perfect place to buy later on.

Anyway, I'm currently staying at the Ameritel by the Spectrum, and we're looking for a nice kid friendly restaurant (7 & 5 yr old boys & 3 yr old girl). We're after something that we won't find in Anywhere, USA. In other words, I really don't want to eat at PF Chang's or at Cheesecake Factory. I want something that tells me what Boise is all about.

C'mon hurry up! We're hungry.

Steel is Real

EAT AT 8th street!!!!!

Head down town and check out 8th street, awsome eats. and good luck trying to find a good house for under 600,000 around here!

mtbr member

Bown Crossing

Go eat at the Flatbread Community Oven in Bown Crossing. The patio area is really nice, there are lots of kids there, and the kids can make their own pizza and watch it being cooked. Afterwards, walk down to Powells candy store, the kids will love you. Here is the link and address... http://www.flatbreadpizza.com/

Steel is Real

Good Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Do
    Go eat at the Flatbread Community Oven in Bown Crossing. The patio area is really nice, there are lots of kids there, and the kids can make their own pizza and watch it being cooked. Afterwards, walk down to Powells candy store, the kids will love you. Here is the link and address... http://www.flatbreadpizza.com/

I second that. Great place to eat.

over researcher
    Wow, you folks are awesome! We'll look into Flatbread Comm Oven. We're here for a few more nights, so I'm wondering if Ram Rest & Brewery over on E. Park Blvd. is any good.

mtbr member
    The Ram is ok, I'm not a real big fan of their food. Also, its a chain type place, so it doesn't really give you feel of Boise. The best thing about The Ram is their location. They have a real nice spot on the river, great for sitting outside and taking an after dinner greenbelt walk. If you want a brew pub type place, I would go to Tablerock Brewery, Bardenay, or Bittercreek Alehouse. For the kids though, the Ram might be a better environment.

Restaurant critic Man-Do out!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Don't go to the Ram. The last 3 (yes three) times I went there the service sucked, they screwed up some of the orders and some of the dishes were really poorly prepared. Same gig each time. Not only will I never go there again, I will urge people to never go there. It was that bad.

I took my parents to PF Changs in BoDo last night for the first time. Good food (although the Kung Pow could have been zippier), good service, worth chowing at.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Guido's downtown. Families always go in there. And the pizza pie is damn fine.

Or Harry's then take the kids to Goody's for ice cream.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boberinoe
    Head down town and check out 8th street, awsome eats. and good luck trying to find a good house for under 600,000 around here!
    i'll sell my house for $599,999 right now. i consider it a "good" house

boise is anywhere, usa. ..as far as food goes

over researcher
    We went to Flatbread. Nice place and the pizza was great. The kids had a great time. My wife and I also enjoyed ourselves. It's been a while since I've had that good of a time at a restaurant with my kids. My wife and I were so relaxed there. I'm liking Boise, a lot.

Steel is Real

Great

Quote Originally Posted by royta
    We went to Flatbread. Nice place and the pizza was great. The kids had a great time. My wife and I also enjoyed ourselves. It's been a while since I've had that good of a time at a restaurant with my kids. My wife and I were so relaxed there. I'm liking Boise, a lot.

Glad you had a good experience, just don't tell anyone else how great Boise is; we don't need to be overpopulated.

King of the Barneys
    Brick Oven Beanery (or Bistro?) at Main and 8th by the fountain on the Grove. I've grown up with those guys and the food's always great, good stuff on tap, etc. Kids (of all ages) love it.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

King of the Barneys
    If you have a free afternoon, you may want to take the family down the Boise River. Pretty easy to do. You take the shuttle from Ann Morrison Park, right by the playground, east end of the park, $4 a head (I think) and at Barber Park you can rent a raft, etc., and have a great time. Mellow, fairly scenic float, but still oughta put the little ones in life jackets.

I do a Barney-style triathlon on Thursday nt, where we meet at Ann Morrison, and pedal up river, jumping in the water every so often. There's usually a good rope swing and a few good jumping in spots. Cools you down all-quick-like. Bike, jump and splash. Very easy going and family friendly, would just have to get you bikes, which "might" be possible if you're really interested. If so, pm or email, brown law @ quik.com

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

King of the Barneys
    I ditto the Ram comments. I really want to like the place. Bad food, bad service, nice location, decent beer. Overall, a C-

CDB

over researcher
    The Ram is listed in the "Welcome to Boise Magazine The Boise Area Resource Guide 2006/2007" 92 page hardbound book that you find in hotel rooms. Maybe they figure that mediocrity is just fine, since they are getting plenty of traveler traffic anyway.

I'm currently stuck in the hotel putting a lighting system together (on paper) and ordering materials for a job I need to get done the first week I'm back, while my wife and kids are at the zoo and checking out the local scene. It's so hard to schedule work back home when I hope to be gone in 40 days anyway. I'm also calling electrical contractors and trying to get in a few interviews before I leave town. I also have to get to the DMV to title an register my truck. I'm busy.

mtbr member
    bar gernika is the place.

highlands hollow is my favorite place in boise. families seem to like it there too.

guidos for pizza. (cheap)

casanova for fancier pizza and surprisingly good atmosphere for being on the bench on vista.

the front door has good pizza and a great beer selection.

bombay grill is the BOMBay

superb sushi...and i had some great apps at zutto last time i was there. one tofu and one beer. with that cabbage stuff (kinda line krout).

these are my regulars.

mtbr member
    If anyone is looking for a good place to eat on a visit next time, stop by Le Cafe de Paris (I work there). The desserts are pretty well known around town and dinner is amazing, but be prepared to spend money on dinner. Lunch and breakfast are good too.

Members who have read this thread: 0