LBS rant- Mtbr.com

Thread: LBS rant

More cowbell!

LBS rant

Why can't Boise area shops be more like JensenUSA or Cambria? One can get needed parts at their establishments on-line for a mere song compared to local shops. I want to support my local brethen, but when BB5 pads cost $15-$21 here and Jensen only wants $10.99 shipping included, it makes me think that my local brethen don't necessarily want to support me. Am I out of line?

just a man
    Some stuff I still buy online (some of the smaller stuff usually). However, I just bought my son a Scott Voltage and myself a 2011 Fox RP23 from Patrick at Bob's and it was a better deal/value going that route. Plus he services my bike and knows me better than the Pricepoints and JensonUSAs do. So, mix it up a little and see what you can do both ways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin
    Why can't Boise area shops be more like JensenUSA or Cambria? One can get needed parts at their establishments on-line for a mere song compared to local shops. I want to support my local brethen, but when BB5 pads cost $15-$21 here and Jensen only wants $10.99 shipping included, it makes me think that my local brethen don't necessarily want to support me. Am I out of line?
    yeah I got charged $25 for stans quart and was told it was because they raised the price and that was $3 off. Went home looked online and MSRP on stans site was like $21 everywhere else was $15-$18...

I wont buy local because of this, Im from Socal and you jjust get used to the make a little on alot mentality... Try Alan at velomech.net he hooks stuff up......
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

aaarrrggghh!
    Yeah, you are. Think about overhead. Shops have a lot and internet companies don't. Internet companies also have huge buying power compared to shops so they get better prices on merchandise and they pass those savings down to you. They also purchase huge quantities of left over parts and sell those for cheap.

You're supposed to be paying shops a little extra for expertise but this is debatable depending on who you are dealing with.

That being said, I try as much as possible to purchase locally but when the price difference is overwhelming I go to the interwebs.
    Last edited by Ivan the Terrible; 08-07-2010 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    If you can install it yourself, buy wherever you want. If you don't have the tools, the knowledge or the time to install it, buy from a local brick and mortar shop... That way you keep them in business and still save money. Most shops will usually install something for free or at a discounted rate if you buy the part from them...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bike shops aren't charity organizations. Buy from whoever you like. I buy local only if I need it right then or the price is comparable.

Most shops do not install parts for free in my experience.
    Idaho

jalepenio jimenez

save a penny

and for you really cheap tightwads, there is always Ontario across the border where they don't charge sales tax...

and since I'm too lazy to drive to Oregon, I'm looking online for a new crank right now, hoping to save a few bucks, which in reality will more 'n likely be $30-50.

bike shops don't stay in business because of hard core riders. they survive off of the median biking population and after market service and sales. (don't quote me on that-could be prostitution and drug sales.)

Bob's is darn near an online merchant, but when I buy local I try to shop/service at Bicycle Mania, the best shop around and closest to my stable.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    bike shops don't stay in business because of hard core riders. they survive off of the median biking population and after market service and sales. (don't quote me on that-could be prostitution and drug sales.)
    And who do you think a lot of the 'median' biking population goes to first? Their friends who *are* hard core bikers.

Median populace: "Hey Ben, I'm having xyz issue with my bike, would you recommend a shop?"
    Me: "Not really, I've been burned by local shops so many times that I try to do all of my own work now. Can I help you find the right part online and loan you my tools?"

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Bob's advertises that they will price match any advertised price. Find it on line then ask what the shop will be able to do for you.
    Last edited by BoiseBoy; 08-08-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    I have price matched at Meridian. The online price was below cost and he met somewhere in the middle. It was close enough to online I was happy to buy local.

I don't expect local shops to match performance/jensen etc but if they will come close to online, I prefer local.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    And who do you think a lot of the 'median' biking population goes to first? Their friends who *are* hard core bikers.
    so that just leaves sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll...
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    I actually like Bobs alot, john and the guys rock. I do give them business..

AND yes I go there actually because John is a really good guy, prices arent always bad but he usually has something in a pinch and just a really cool guy to chat with...
    So to my first post I do stay LBS for a few things and for certain individuals who IMO are worth supporting on certain stuff.... BTW was at Bobs yesterday John hooked it up on a hard to find peice in a emegency so my kid could ride....
    Last edited by bullcrew; 08-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    and for you really cheap tightwads, there is always Ontario across the border where they don't charge sales tax...

and since I'm too lazy to drive to Oregon, I'm looking online for a new crank right now, hoping to save a few bucks, which in reality will more 'n likely be $30-50.

Bob's is darn near an online merchant, but when I buy local I try to shop/service at Bicycle Mania, the best shop around and closest to my stable.
    B Mania is also a habitual stop for me. Straight shooter , fair prices

More cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    Bob's advertises that they will price match any advertised price. Find it on line then ask what the shop will be able to do for you.
    I found 4 pairs of BB5 pads online in Ohio for around $26.00 shipped. I really wonder if Bob's will honor their own price match policy. I will print out the Ohio shop's ad and see if Jimmy Idol can get it matched it for me. I hope so, Jimmy is a pretty cool cat in my opinion!

jalepenio jimenez
    after replacing my sorry old chain and a couple of chain rings, I went for a short spin only to have the new chain skip off the rear cassette when I put some force to the cranks. back to the stable, replaced the chain rings and chain with the old ones. good to go for Eagles Nest today. no skipping and no excuses. that trail is in great shape.
    got home and ordered a new crank and cassette from Chain Reaction in Europe. $240 and free shipping XT crank and cassette. awesome prices...like getting a free cassette. sorry to say Boise shops couldn't touch those prices....duh. better than shopping in Oregon.

mtbr member
    after replacing my sorry old chain and a couple of chain rings, I went for a short spin only to have the new chain skip off the rear cassette when I put some force to the cranks. back to the stable, replaced the chain rings and chain with the old ones. good to go for Eagles Nest today. no skipping and no excuses. that trail is in great shape.
    got home and ordered a new crank and cassette from Chain Reaction in Europe. $240 and free shipping XT crank and cassette. awesome prices...like getting a free cassette. sorry to say Boise shops couldn't touch those prices....duh. better than shopping in Oregon.
    I was told that Bob's often purchases from Chain Reaction. They will typically by a larger quantity so they can actually get them cheaper than what you purchased the single item for.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think it is important to look at the things that the local bike shops do for your community. Many will not only sponsor racers, races and tours but also donate to the local fundraising projects as well as help establish trails and bike paths.

jalepenio jimenez

I give

for the recored, I've blown a wad at Bob's, George's, and over many years, maybe two wads at IMT. now I lean towards Bimania. that said, I don't think any of our LBSs lack for support and that these "support your LBS" pleas/reminders are pretty empty.
    Last edited by mudflap; 08-15-2010 at 05:02 PM.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I spend equal amounts of coin at each of the LBSs throughout the year. Spreading the love, as it were. Each one of the shops has someone I like talking to and vends stuff I don't mind paying for. I'm on a first-name basis will all of em.

But if I were to do something about my local wrench, I'd have to burn down my house, kill my dog, TP my trees.and live through a period of self-loathing. Not gonna happen.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0