The Largest Pump Track In the Known Universe- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

The Largest Pump Track In the Known Universe

After hearing me so psyched about Bombin4x's pumptrack, my dad decided that I can have my backyard and just go all out to do the same, so I did...

Russell and I decided that it would be a cool idea to get started right away on Thursday, but cool it was not. It turns out that sod is a pain in the butt to remove...

So after 3 hours of work each, we got 50 feet partially done. Not cutting it. At all.

So we went out and rented a sod cutting machine. Best idea ever. The thing was still a beast to use, but it beat the hell out of actually doing it by hand. So we got some good progress between Nick, Russell and Myself with a few minutes of guidance by my dad.

So here's where we're at right now:

If you're wondering about the ugly berm, it's the sod. We're going to use it so that the berm can be that much bigger. It's being heavily watered so it's not so spongy once I get the dirt onto it.

There is an outside triangular loop, and two alternate lines to be used to reverse direction to mix things up. The outside lines measure almost 100 feet each, so it's huge. I plan to build some decent jumps along the roller lines to add some more fun to the equation. All in all I think it's going to be a pretty nice landscaping addition to my back yard.

I get 13 cubic yards of premium dirt tomorrow, so work should heat up from then on.
    I'm not entirely sure when the next major work session will be, but I'll keep you guys posted in case anyone would like to give me a hand or at least come check it out...

Trevor

just a man

I'm your Pusher...

Looks like another hooked customer, I love it. Freakin huge Trevor, way to go BIG!

OK I've got a dilema, and I am sorry to say that I can't help too much right now for a few reasons. 1)My track is still not fully completed 2)Got a couple biz deals I am working on 3)My track is still not fully completed 4)I think you get the picture.

However, maybe I can help lv2ride out for a few hours this Sat and then help you out on the next big build day. When will you be back at it?

p4x

Jan 2005
    Dude, I don't even know... Right now it's rideable, and a crazy workout, so I'm not going to even mess with it until after Salmon this weekend. After this weekend, I think I'll be at it every day for a little while and then I'll do a big work session that weekend. So 2 weeks...

And don't sweat it if you can't make it. It'll get done one way or the other. I'd just appreciate some help from someone with experience on this type of thing...

By the way, how's the spacing on the rollers working for you?

It's massive. I can ride 5 laps at high speed on the outside lines, and that's it. And that's without any significant difficulties... I'll be lucky to get 1 once it's done...

Trevor

Sep 2006
    Awesome looking track, definately going to be big, have to build some decent rollers to keep it going though, as you normally keep the corners close to build speed. Look forward to the pics when you get your dirt down.
    Last edited by Roadie Rob; 09-12-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Jan 2005
    I think the doubles I build will provide enough speed, and even then on the roller line, it shouldn't be too hard to get speed... So on the rollers, what spacing and height are you guys thinking?

What do you mean by "Look forward to the ics"?

Trevor

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    What do you mean by "Look forward to the ics"?
    I think ics == pics.

just a man
    By the way, how's the spacing on the rollers working for you?

It's massive. I can ride 5 laps at high speed on the outside lines, and that's it. And that's without any significant difficulties... I'll be lucky to get 1 once it's done...

Trevor
    My 8' rollers are pretty good, they're rock solid in most places, nice little rhythm section. Working on 1 line of 3 twelve footers with a little kicker jump. I say go big on the rollers with a 1:10 (height:length from point to point) ratio. For example, 14" from top of the roller to bottom by 14 feet. Some 14-16'rollers would let you gain massive speed to jump and/or manual sections. There are some sweet pics on Leelikesbikes.com of this.

Jan 2005
    The dirt has landed...

just a man
    I think the doubles I build will provide enough speed, and even then on the roller line, it shouldn't be too hard to get speed... So on the rollers, what spacing and height are you guys thinking?
    Use a 1:10 ratio per Lee McCormack. For example, 12 foot rollers (peak to peak) would have a total depth of 12" or 1 foot. A lower ratio (such as some of my rollers have) with less distance between them and a higher height/depth ratio will scrub speed. This pic says a lot about larger rollers, which you most definitely have the space for:

Hoops - Big and Small
    That pic says it all - notice how small the bike is Warrior Baby!

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    That pic says it all - notice how small the bike is Warrior Baby!
    This is a ploy to take my Bakuto, isn't it?

Hoops - Big and Small
    I checked out the IH website I need a 17 - 23.5 TT

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I checked out the IH website I need a 17 - 23.5 TT
    They got em in stock at Bicycle Blowout last time I checked. 550. Chump change for a high roller like you.

Jan 2005
    Sadly, work will be all but stopped for the next week or so, but once I get some time, this thing will get done pretty fast. The biggest problem will be the berms...

Trevor

Members who have read this thread: 0