Ketchum ridin'- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ketchum ridin'

mtbr member

Ketchum ridin'

After spending a week in the ketchum/stanley area all i can say is ' WOW ', it's obvious that a person could spend a lifetime exploring the abundance of trails in and around the sawtooth/galena area. I had good luck with the Polyart Trail Maps of the Sawtooth and White Cloud Mountains and also the Sun Valley version. They list 20-30 recommended rides in each map along with directions, recommended route direction, and difficulty level.

Out of the 6-7 rides that my wife and i were able to do i'd have to say the Adams Gulch to Oregon Gulch loop was my personal favorite. (My wife would vote Fisher Creek)

It started at a fairly large trailhead filled with Sun Valley type residents...(gucci, poodles, and poo-poo scoopers). For the first 8 miles you follow a fairly gentle stream side gradient that meanders in and out of small aspen stands. When you came out and into the open you'd battle the small and very loose scree fields that were fairly technical. After an hour and a half and at the ninth mile the trail turns very steep and loose and for about a mile and a half it was 50% ride., 50% hike a bike. Eventually after a couple hours of constant climbing we topped out on a very scenic ridge and after a quick snack of ritz crackers and fish we carried along our way across a short ridge line that eventually turned double track for about 2 miles. This double track took us to the Oregon Gulch connector and onto what the map considers to be a double black diamond decent and only recommeded to travel in ONE DIRECTION....downhill !! The next three miles went entirely tooooo fast, and the ridgeline singletrack was way steep, but very flowing. Add a few sections of arse puckering rocks and drops and in a nutshell you have the making of a kick ass trail. Eventually the trail came to it's next intersection and the final 4 miles of downhill were streamside, and fast. A few friendly faces along the way back to the Oregon Gulch trailhead which included a horseman leading a crew of paying clients that dropped his jaw when we told him were we started our ride just 5 hours ago from Adams Gulch. A mighty fine 5 hours of riding and a loop that i'd certainly recommend to anyone stopping through Ketchum.

Thank you Idaho !
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

don't forget !

to enduldge in one of the many POSTride options. Lovin' the free soak courtesy of Frechmans.

later, Chad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Chad - Looks and sounds like you had a fantastic time. Wish I could have made it up there. Give me a shout the next time you head this way again!

GB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good times

I was fortunate enough to be road trippin' in the Ketchum area at the same time as Chad and his wife were and got the OK to join them for a day or two of riding. What a relaxing time, riverside camping, riding some amazing trails, wobbly pops/chips/salsa at the trails end, and soaking in the warm springs nearby. Life doesn't get much better. Thanks to you two for putting up with me.

Top 5 things about Ketchum Idaho from a first-timer's perspective:

1/ Holy lovin' singletrack baby! Like Chad said, easily a lifetime's worth of riding to be had. Get a map and go exploring.
    2/ Warm/hot springs after a ride. Pure luxury for the free camping types, just don't mind the lingering post-dip sulphur odour. Wine/beer highly recommended.
    3/ The polite female forest ranger casually informing us that "if you feel like a shower there's a place up the road that's good". Did we really smell that bad?
    4/ Sun Summit Sports, a LBS I stopped in for trail info. I'd already bought the map at the ranger station so the owner knew he wasn't making that sale but he still took the time to mark mine and show me some potentially epic "locals only" loops. I guess the B.C Tourism mountain biking guidebook I gave him was a fair trade. Two strangers drooling over squibbly little dotted ink lines on paper, different locales, same wanderlust.
    5/ Drive 10 minutes from town and enjoy many options for free camping, most with a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains and night sky.

What's not to like about Ketchum?

1/ As Chad mentioned, the Gucci factor. I could just feel the tension level rising after spending (odd choice of words there?) much time in town. If you really want to fit in you'll just have to drive a Hummer or high$ Euro SUV between your "ranch house" and the trailhead.
    2/ Ummmmmmmm, that's it.

Members who have read this thread: 0