Keep my butt in your prayers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Keep my butt in your prayers

I know this is not MTB theme...butt....

This saturday four of us are going over to join 8996 others to do the STP (seattle to Portland). We are going to try to do the 205 miles in one day. We hope to be done within 12 hours. I expect to be a bit sore in the hiney region.

I will let you know how it goes.

swede
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Ewww. I got a visual.

Are the lot of you doing it as a 2, 2 man teams? Or one 4 person? Either way make sure you have fun...and use lots of lube. I recommend Aquaphor & Chamois Butt'r. Drink lots of water, and make sure you eat. If you can, and are allowed, set up a paceline. The mileage will go by faster.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Wandervans

good option

I have done the stp twice, once as a one day and the other time as a two day. The one day option is the way to go in my opinion, since it is hard sitting down on day two.

We did the 200 mile ride in just over 10 hours of ride time, and it was basically just me and another guy swapping off drafting for the whole ride. Lots of fun and make sure to hit the stops along the way but don't rest too long...

Many people don't understand the drafting concept so be very careful, we ended up avoiding drafting a number of groups just because they looked dangerous. This saved our butts since a large group of sloppy drafters ended up piling up on the road right behind us.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    I have read many anecdotal stories about peoples experience on STP. Quite a few have talked about those trying to draft who are not experienced at riding in a paceline. Fortunately I have a fair amount of experience with that. With 1000-2000 people doing the one day it will probably take some time to find a group of about 10 to ride with.

We are also taking our own personal support vehicle (even though it is discouraged) which will have tools and nutritional supplies of our own choosing.

Al- it is all individual. Each of us ride the whole thing!!!!
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Wandervans

Rest Stops

Have plenty of good stuff and tools so I am not sure you really need the support vehical. A friend drove ahead and spent the day in portland and then picked us up at the end.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Scenery probably incredible huh?

good job you'll do fine. this is much more than I chewed off doing the Lyle Pearson, but you sound confident. Just maybe it's better to eat some solid food than just goos and bars all day? they made me sick. PB&?'s, Bananas, etc? Probably not telling you anything you don't know.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Definitely watch the pacelines

I swore off STP and other organized rides that large in 1985. I did it in '84 and got on some huge lines, double lines of probably 60 people total. Was fast, but with a different mentality. Girl next to me hit a "road turtle" and went down hard. The packed stopped and someone yelled, "she's done, don't bother waiting for her." Everyone but my buddies took off so we took care of her.
    The next year, same thing pretty much happened to me. We caught up to a small group still in Seattle (King Co. Airfield) and the guy in front of me didn't know he was supposed to point at obstacles. I went down hard and my ride was over after about 5 miles.

Nov 2005

My only advice

Bring an extra pair of shorts. I did the one day ride option in 2000 and my only regret was that I didn't have an extra pair of shorts to change in to.

mtbr member

good idea

I am starting with my favorite shorts, But i thought it too woiuld be a good idea to pack an extra pair. We are also taking our own personal support vehicle (even though it is frowned upon) one reason is I heard that the food stops were not all that good so this way we have the food we have chosen to bring.....also we can head straight home from portland.

We leave in a couple of hours...my butt is already getting sore just thinking about all the saddle time tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0