Keep Bicycle in the White Clouds- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Keep Bicycle in the White Clouds

Action item:
    For a list and slide show of the trails that will be lost:
    http://www.imba.com/news/action_aler..._24_idaho.html

Congress is headed into the last few days of their session starting on December 5th.

However, we know that their is an ongoing effort to pass the Boulder White Cloud Wilderness Bill or as Congressman Simpson prefers to call it, the Central Idaho Economic Development and Recreation Act (CIEDRA). That cannot happen unless Senator Craig allows the bill to move. The future of this bill lies in the hands of Senator Larry Craig.

We believe that it is important that the Senator hear one more time that CIEDRA is neither wanted or needed from the people of Idaho. That means we are asking you to either call or e-mail Senator Craig during the week of before December 1. It matters not if you have called in the past, one or 10 times, it just matters that you call or email him that week. We want to be the last 'squeaky wheel' from whom he hears before he goes back into session on the 5th and makes the decision about what to do with CIEDRA.

It won't take long and it will make a difference. The message we would like delivered is:

"CIEDRA is a bill that cannot be fixed. Please oppose it."

Give your name and address and that's it.

email Larry Craig's assistant:
    [email protected]

U.S. Senator Larry Craig
    520 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Phone: 202-224-2752

For those in Idaho call:
    208-342-7985

mtbr member
    May 2004
    will do. thank you, Harley, for everything you do for us!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    e-mail sent

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Done also, plus told many others to help.

mtbr member
    done. thanks for notifying us of these bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor
    Either ive got a lot of mud on my tire, or i'm hauling Kenne's ego

I should be out riding
    Any word on if this bill is moving at all?

Hoops - Big and Small
    Last I heard Simpson and Craig could not even agree - Kind of a lack of leadership from two guys trying to get federal money for Idaho.

I'm sure there are other people on this board that could answer this better than I, but if these representatives from Idaho aren't on the same page with each other when it comes to CIEDRA how could it even pass Congress?

BTW this is all conjecture - I should not be the source for anybody's news!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Last I heard Simpson and Craig could not even agree - Kind of a lack of leadership from two guys trying to get federal money for Idaho.

I'm sure there are other people on this board that could answer this better than I, but if these representatives from Idaho aren't on the same page with each other when it comes to CIEDRA how could it even pass Congress?

BTW this is all conjecture - I should not be the source for anybody's news!
    I wouldn't say it was lack of leadership. Simpson I am sure tried to get the bill to a Senate vote, but this was difficult when Senate leadership would not make any budget decisions prior to the end of the session. Craig came out saying that any federal money allocated in the bill needed to be appropriated prior to Wilderness designation, a point that ensured he would not be taking the bill as-is to a vote in the Senate. So there are several ways to get it passed without agreement between Craig and Simpson. Simpson essentially needed another Senator to attach it to a budget bill as a "rider". Craig's lack of support killed it politically in this session as his colleagues I am sure did not want to go over his head. It will be interesting to see what happens next session. It will have to go through the House one more time and Craig is not longer chair of the relevant Senate committee. The main area of concern brought out in the hearings in both chambers last fall was the concern about land exchanges (of whatever you want to call them). The Democrats who are now in leadership positions on the relevant committees will likely want to address those concerns if CIEDRA is to move in the new Congress...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Boisematt - I have to agree with you regarding the land swaps. I also think the overall financial aspects of the proposed bill will be an issue that must be overcome. It will be an interesting next session...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

what a weird system we have

Well we lucked out for now. But for how long? It is clear to me that the land is just a pawn and the wilderness issue is going to pass or fail again with no evaluation of it's merits. Politics are weird.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    Well we lucked out for now. But for how long? It is clear to me that the land is just a pawn and the wilderness issue is going to pass or fail again with no evaluation of it's merits. Politics are weird.
    guess that depends on your perspective. ;-) No argument from me about the weirdness of the system, but it is the system we have and I think this and the other thread illuminated some good ideas on how best to work within it. Even though I am in the minority on this forum regarding mountain bikes in wilderness, I think the discussion is healthy...

Members who have read this thread: 0