Jackson Hole car camping and mountain biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Jackson Hole car camping and mountain biking

Hey all!

The last week in August, my boyfriend and his parents and I are taking a road trip for Oregon to Jackson for a wedding. We are renting probably either an SUV or a Van and taking our mountain bikes with us. Once we get to the Jackson area, the rents want to go backpacking for 4 days and we were thinking of car camping and mountain biking during that time. We will have access to the vehicle but were wondering what would be some good, maybe non crowded places, to camp and bike? I think they were looking to backpack in the Gros Ventre just east of Jackson so somewhere in there would be awesome, but we are open to suggestions as none of us have really explored that area at all.

Any help would be much appreciated! Whether it's suggestions you guys have or whether you could point us in the right direction, anything would be amazing!

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm not a JH expert, but I've had pretty good luck at Curtis Canyon and Atherton CGs. They are both fee sites, but there are some non-fee sites at Curtis Canyon.

Avoid Gros Ventre CG - it's a sprawling mass of of RVs and campers with no redeeming qualities.

It doesn't have the name recognition and shops of JH, but less crowds, killer trails (lift assisted and cross country) are found on the west side of the Tetons at Grand Targhee. If you have time, I'd hit that up too. Fitzgerald's Bike Shop in Victor, ID will hook you up with all the information you need.

August is a great time to go. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    I've never tried camping near Jackson so can't really help if you're committed to staying on that side of the pass. But I agree with the suggestion to ride at or near Grand Targhee, and there's plenty of camping around there. You *may* even be able to camp at the ski area and have access to showers, the Trap Bar, etc.

mtbr member
    Grand Targhee is awesome, but be aware that the Wydaho Festival is September 1-4 this year so it won't be "non-crowded" if you are there at that time. On the other hand, the festival is a fantastic time, there's camping, showers, a couple of restaurants, lifts and x-country trails, demos. It's a great time unless you're set on quiet solitude somewhere (which I understand as well)
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Ambassador of Chub
    Have to agree with the above.

Camping just about anywhere in JH in Aug. can be a zoo of tourons and RVs. Unless you're willing to drive way up a dirt road in the GV or something, and primitive camp. But if you do that, then you're a fair drive from most of the good mtb trails, which are mostly south of town and up on Teton Pass.

Check out the 'quiet side' - Teton Valley, Idaho. Lots of great riding around the valley (Big Holes, etc) in addition to the goods @ Targhee. Camp at Targhee, or camp just outside of Victor and then you're close to the good trails on the Pass, and still a short drive up to Targhee, Horseshoe Canyon, etc. as well.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

beater
    There are some good backcountry trails up the Gros Ventre, though. Horsetail Creek puts you up into some beautiful scenery with great views in all directions. My vote would be to split the time, with some in the Teton Valley and then take advantage of the other half of your party backpacking in the GV to do some riding out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thank you so much for all of the great replies! We will be there from August 21-28 so we will miss out on the festival, but maybe that's a good thing so it won't be as crowded. I'm definitely looking forward to getting in some good camping and riding and exploring the area. I lived in Colorado for a while but never made it up to Jackson. I'm stoked.