Jackson area for the week, where can I ride???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Jackson area for the week, where can I ride???

Hello,
    I am heading out to Jackson this weekend from MN and looking to ride! Just curious what is open around the area or what I should try to ride. I am willing to drive an hour or two if needed! Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What are you looking for as far as tech level, length, elevation gain/loss, etc? Your fitness level and ability to handle the altitude will matter, too.

JH Mountain Resort and some of Teton Pass opened recently so some higher elevation stuff is open. I've ridden the Cache Creek/Game Creek loop this early, and hit deep mud along Cache Creek both times. It really starts to get prime in early July in the area.

As far as the Idaho side, Grand Targhee just opened almost all of their XC stuff today and their lower lift is open for DH runs. The top is still snowed in, though. The Rick's Basin side XC stuff is great for longer, rolling terrain rides, while the routes up to Peaked will challenge your fitness thoroughly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I am inexperienced with riding in elevation so I do expect it to affect me somewhat even though I consider myself in pretty good shape. Thanks for the advice! I think I will start out at Grand Targhee and hit up Teton pass in a few days and see whatís open.
    I am looking for intermediate to lower level advanced tech and would possibly like to try some beginner dh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There's five runs open from Shoshone lift currently. The two right under the lift are green and blue. Bring It On Home is an easy trail, with some small berms and rollers to play on. Shake Em On Down is a blue, with more spots to catch air and more challenging features like tighter spaced trees, larger rollers, and some decent sized dips that will challenge your ability to hold your line. Not too bad, really. Chutes and Ladders and Otter Slide are a hoot. Several smaller tabletop jumps you can roll or send, wall rides, and turns with big berms. Past those two is Lower Bullwinkle, which is the tail end of my favorite blue run. Big, highly bermed turns built to take at Mach Chicken, some pretty respectable jumps like tabletops and step ups, and some actual embedded rocks. All of these are a great intro to park riding, and totally doable on a longer travel trail FS rig. I prefer my Norco Sight over a DH rig on these since it's more willing to jump and is poppier over bonus features. I usually don't rent a bike unless Dreamcatcher lift is open and I want to ride the black diamond runs. They are super rugged and chock full of rock gardens and drops as big as 4'.

Most of Targhee's XC stuff is really buff on the Rick's Basin side, unless you get all the way out to the far end around Quakie. Action Jackson and Colter's on the Peaked side have some rock and root rolls, but nothing big. If you want techy singletrack, look around JH or come further out to the Kelly Canyon area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Awesome! Thank you man, thatís very helpful!! Will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Anything open good to go off of Teton Pass? I'm coming up Thursday with the family and would like to sneak a ride or two in. This isn't a dad bike riding trip so time is limited.

Would love to hit Black Canyon or Lithium if possible. Also if something is dry enough on the pass to shuttle, how long would it take to ride the trail then back into Jackson? Hoping I can get dropped off then meet the family an hour an half or so later at Thai me up. I'm coming from Colorado so used to elevation.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Anything open good to go off of Teton Pass? I'm coming up Thursday with the family and would like to sneak a ride or two in. This isn't a dad bike riding trip so time is limited.

Would love to hit Black Canyon or Lithium if possible. Also if something is dry enough on the pass to shuttle, how long would it take to ride the trail then back into Jackson? Hoping I can get dropped off then meet the family an hour an half or so later at Thai me up. I'm coming from Colorado so used to elevation.
    I had to dig into the Strava maps to get some data, but it looks like both opened up very recently. There's a handful of rides logged on each of those trails this year, starting three or four days ago. No idea on the actual conditions as far as muddy spots, etc though.

As far as time, your best bet would be to ask one of the local shuttle companies or bike shops. For just Lithium, there was a range of ride times from 15 minutes to around 40 minutes, and it takes a little time to drive up the pass with traffic and tourists.

mtbr member
    Gracias. I'll get the family to shuttle me up. Looks like I need to plan an hour or so of trail time.

Is riding into Jackson afterwards a fools venture or is it all downhill and easy?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    There are no (legal) shuttle companies in JH, just a heads up.
    Lithium and Blacks *probably* need a few more days of warmth.
    Phillips Canyon as well.

Everything else is riding great except the highest rides.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Anything good I can ride either from town or shuttle and end up in town? Need to keep time to under 2hrs if possible so 12ish miles and 2kish climbing? Prefer chunk to flow.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    There is plenty to ride from town in the Snow King/Cache Creek area. (No shuttles though, you have to earn your turns)
    What kind of mileage/elevation profile are you looking for?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Time will be my limiting factor. I need something I can do in two hours max. I live at elevation, can climb and got big rotors.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Time will be my limiting factor. I need something I can do in two hours max. I live at elevation, can climb and got big rotors.
    Well, if you are *sorta* fast, I would recommend
    UP Putt Putt (or Hagen)
    UP Cache Creek Doubletrack
    UP Cache>Game Creek Divide
    UP Skyline
    Down Ferrinís.
    That should give you some of the goods.
    About 2500 vert, maybe 16 miles?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, if you are *sorta* fast, I would recommend
    UP Putt Putt (or Hagen)
    UP Cache Creek Doubletrack
    UP Cache>Game Creek Divide
    UP Skyline
    Down Ferrinís.
    That should give you some of the goods.
    About 2500 vert, maybe 16 miles?
    This is a really great loop, with breathtaking views of the Tetons and the JH area.

mtbr member
    I ended up just doing Black Canyon with a shuttle from the family. It had a couple snow drifts up top on the climb but the descent was already dusty and getting blown out. Fun trail with nobody on it. Took me about 50 minutes from getting dropped off to ordering a beer at Stagecoach.

Anyone know what the deal is with Lander? I noticed riding through there they have two bike shops, about three nicer coffee shops, and a beer garden. Is there something around there I am missing? Seems like a lot for a town of about 7k people which I thought was just a pass through on the way to Jackson town.

mtbr member
    Lander is a destination town for many outdoor sports like cycling, hiking, fishing, and so on, and hosts the Jurassic Classic Mountain Bike Festival in August. Trailforks shows quite a few trail networks around there too.

Sounds like you had a good ride. I still need to pick a day to go ride the pass while the weather is nice.