Itchy and road- Mtbr.com

Thread: Itchy and road

mtbr member
    May 2004

Itchy and road

after doing trailwork or riding up on stack rock area. What are they, sand fleas?
    Itchy!!! Today I just used some Caldryl clear lotion, it rocks. Just an fyi if the sand fleas getchya.

Other thing is i did just a little spin tonight on the road to recover and at about 5:30 "rush hour" on hill road between BB Road and past Collister there were like 3 people going into the bike line and I pointed for them to get out of the bike lane. One of them was a lady in her minivan on her cell phone.

I hope the Ada county plan includes more signange along with bike lane improvements.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 06-11-2007 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member

Chiggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude, you're screwed!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Disgusting but apparently harmless

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    dude, you're screwed!

For any of you whose post Garnetspur tripped you out a bit (including me):

Bites
    Chigger larvae do not burrow into the skin, nor suck blood. They pierce the skin and inject into the host a salivary secretion containing powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up). Also, this digestive fluid causes surrounding tissues to harden, forming a straw-like feeding tube of hardened flesh (stylostome) from which further, partially-digested skin cells may be sucked out. After a larva is fully fed in four days, it drops from the host, leaving a red welt with a white, hard central area on the skin that itches severely and may later develop into dermatitis. Any welts, swelling, itching, or fever will usually develop three to six hours after exposure and may continue a week or longer. If nothing is done to relieve itching, symptoms may continue a week or more. Scratching a bite may break the skin, resulting in secondary infections. However, chiggers are not known to transmit any disease in this country.

jalepenio jimenez

RSM, close cousin to chiggers, but better looking...

Hot springs Red Spider Mite.

Check it out at:

http://www.idahohotsprings.com/educa...ider-mites.htm

you'll be glad you did!
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Urtica dioica

aka nettle
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nettle is what causes the red bumps and itcing?

Barneys Unite!
    I didn't think we had chiggers here. They were thick back in the Midwest, and many a fishing trip that involved walking through tall grass ended with your body covered with itchy welts.

The lack of chiggers is one of the things I like best about the Boise area.

My guess would be nettles or some other plant.

TF

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think maybe it's a good idea to wear an old pair of jeans then and long sleeve shirt when doing trailwork. I really enjoyed the trailwork I did recently with good folks, so will just wear that stuff even if it's hot - it's worth it!

Back in SoCal, the issue doing trailwork in the mtns was poison oak. I only got it once and it sucked big time. That's when I started carrying Technu.

dirt enthusiast

eeewwww

who knows what got you!! by diggin' around in the dirt building trail, you upset many little ecosystems. its really hard to say what exactly it is. lots of those little no see em's hide out in the dirt and shrubery. stinging nettle is definately an option and will leave little red bumps and itch. when you brush against it, it kinda stings-hence the name. keep using the caladryl/calamine lotion and dont itch it.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    That is sooooo cool.

It reminds me of the boll weevil challenges we used to have in high school. We used to drink a bunch of Mickey's Big Mouths and then put boll weeils in each others ears. The last person so go without squeeling and running for the Q-Tips was declared the winner and got refunded their beer contribution. This one guy Tommy was too good - he never had a problem with those things in his ears. Last I heard he was making the big bucks with some boiler room scam he was pulling in Evansville, Indiana.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Geez Dirk, you've got me beat! Most I did like that was play quarters and lose, thereby ended up drunk on Miller High Life quite often.......

mtbr member

Barneys Unite!
    That gives new meaning to the bit from "The Meaning of Life" -- I wonder where that fishy went?

TF

Members who have read this thread: 0