ISO Ride Partner for Mile Creek -> Sheep Creek (Sunday)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

ISO Ride Partner for Mile Creek -> Sheep Creek (Sunday)

I was planning to ride Mile Creek -> Sheep Creek on Sunday (preferred, or possibly Sat) and was curious if anyone else was interested?

Me and the family will be camping out at Cliff and Wade Lakes for the weekend and are leaving BZN tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    PM me if you are still looking for a partner...def interested (flexible on days)

mtbr member

Mile Creek to Sheep Creek

Hi! We saw your post, albeit too late. My husband and I live on Sheep Creek Road and ride the Henry's and Gravelley ranges regularly.

Please PM me if you're planning on doing any other rides in the area in the near future.

Would love to get some feedback on the Mile Creek / Sheep Creek ride as we were just looking at it today.

Good to know there are other riders for the area.

Laura

mtbr member
    I did a ride report on my blog (link below). It includes a description of the ride with some photos and a ride profile. It was a great ride with a lot of different landscapes and different types of riding - the trail was pretty easy to follow with the exception of a couple of meadows that had no visible trail (but was still somewhat intuitive as to where to go).

http://ssmobis.blogspot.com/2010/10/...de-report.html

mtbr member

Thanks!

checking it out now. let us know if you're going to be riding in the area - would love to hook up.

safe travels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We love to ride up there too (from Driggs) and rode Sheep Creek to the lake a couple of Saturdays ago, and Denny Creek to the Dry/ West fork of Targhee Creek with Montana Rider a few weekends ago.

Tiago and Alfie- we looked for the junction of where the trail entered Sheep Creek on this long ride you did from Mile Creek- couldn't find it. Was it where the map sez?

Good on you for gettin it done. You are always welcome in Teton Valley.

mtbr member

Junction

The junction does put you back out on the Sheep Lake trail (I think the junction/sign references Coffin Lake - the sign is leaning against the side of the slope there). The junction is really easy to miss from the Sheep Lake trail. I rode up to Sheep Lake on Sat and did not see it at all going up or going down...it is where you cross one of the rocky downslopes about a mile so from Sheep Lake.
    The trail is uber steep and rocky if you go from the Sheep Lake direction up - much better option to come down (although some of the switchbacks are not rideable at all). Awesome adventure and big thanks to Montana Rider for posting the ride! I look forward to exploring the area further...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    re: the connector from sheep -- I'd ridden the trail about 5 times before I found/noticed it.

Tiago is correct, it's about 1 mile before the lake. It's at the end of the wide open upper meadow portion of the climb (when you're still climbing on the rider left side of the drainage).

The intersection is basically in a (usually dry) creek crossing just before a pretty sharp right turn / and short climb just before the BIG ROCK overlook and best views / open vistas looking back down trail...

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this loop -- I'm about 90% convinced it's better to do the sweet CDT sections of the Targhee Creek / Mile Creek singletrack and skip the Watkins Creek downhill (way too chewed up and rough for my tastes even though it's down hill) and the climb up and over (from Coffin drainage to aforementioned downhill to sheep) was tough as well.

Doing that section in reverse as a shuttle (up sheep & take the hard to find connector hike a bike up and over) and riding downhill to the Coffin Lake drainage would actually be a super sweet downhill but then you'd miss the sheep downhill

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

You all should check this out.

http://www.mercurycsc.com/blog/2010/...campaign=promo

Mike made a nice video. I wonder if there will be a lot of bikers this weekend? The weather forcast looks good.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Oops, the forcast changed. Cooler and rainy this weekend. Ride Lionhead/Mile creek/Sheep Lake right now (Oct-14) the last warm day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A lot of people are sure riding bikes in the Henry Mountains this summer. I have seen numerous postings on Facebook of Mile Creek and Sheep Lake photos among my friends and among friends of friends. And you know something? The trail are still deserted. You can ride all day and only see you buddies. It spite of the increase of use, the area is plenty big.

I have 2 theories as to why the increase of use. One is that the Gallatin Crest is presently closed. That directed a lot of Bozeman area riders to look for new alpine destinations. I know it's true of my closer riding buds. I didn't coax them to go to Lionhead (Henry Mts) either, they just figured it out. The other theory is that the postings of the Montana Mountain Bike Alliance are working their way into the collective consciousness of bicyclists. Yep, Mile Creek, Sheep Creek, and Coffin Lake are very threatened and it will help for all of us to call the Hebgen Lake Ranger District and put in a word for keeping the area open. 406-823-6961

Sure is fine to find out that bicyclists live on the Sheep Creek Road!

Members who have read this thread: 0