Interesting Sighting tonight; and, paging D. Meeker- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Interesting Sighting tonight; and, paging D. Meeker

D,

paging you to the PM phone. Thanks

Yeah I was riding down in Stack area tonight and came to a clearing and 2 black bear cubs must have been startled by me, and they launched off down the hill, into the forest, but then came back and scampered up a nearby tree.

Since I thought that where there are cubs mother is not far behind, I decided to climb back out the way I came rather than continue on by passing by the tree where they were in.

What is the correct "protocal" if mother sees you and gets pissed? I suspect back off slowly?

Anyway, it was pretty cool, being that, believe it or not, that was the largest mammal I've seen in the forest, and have never spotted anything else - i.e. mountain lion, etc.

mtbr member
    make sure you are faster than the others you are riding with. If by yourself ... hey can i have your bike when she is through with you?
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No you can't

mtbr member

meanie

why not...i mean you won't need it...unless you find some snowballs
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    D,

paging you to the PM phone. Thanks

Yeah I was riding down in Stack area tonight and came to a clearing and 2 black bear cubs must have been startled by me, and they launched off down the hill, into the forest, but then came back and scampered up a nearby tree.

Since I thought that where there are cubs mother is not far behind, I decided to climb back out the way I came rather than continue on by passing by the tree where they were in.

What is the correct "protocal" if mother sees you and gets pissed? I suspect back off slowly?

Anyway, it was pretty cool, being that, believe it or not, that was the largest mammal I've seen in the forest, and have never spotted anything else - i.e. mountain lion, etc.
    on a ride down dry creek a few years ago, a bunch of us got between a momma black bear and one of her cubs (we didn't see the cub up a tree behind us at the time) and she kept false charging us. we held our ground and kept yelling at the bear until the cub finally went around us and both momma and cubs went their way. of course, the dynamics of the situation would probably be different if i was alone, like you were, but i'd probably still face the bear while slowly walking backwards looking for a big a$$ rock or stick, just in case. if a cougar, don't back down, be agressive, throw sticks and rocks at it until you scare it off. don't know what to do with wolves however... i have to look into that...

Aug 2004
    Bears like that adobo!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Gary. Yeah alone, that's not the way I wanna go!!!
    Did you see Grizzly man (story of Timothy Tremont I think was his last name)

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    There is an appropriate T-shirt for this. It says:

You die. We get your gear.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah? me me at the flagpole beeyatch!!!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Bears are just fatass racoons with sleep disorders. Get over it.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    *snip* don't know what to do with wolves however... i have to look into that...
    Actually, wolves have never been reported of attacking a human. It is the ranchers, hunters, and hollywood that put fear into the people by saying they are aggresssive man-eaters, so they can have there way (which may be to shoot them). My best advice is if you see a wolf (wolves since they are commonly in packs), be suprised, but not startled, and treat them like they are boss. Since they is only curious, you don't have to be aggressive, let them do their thing and they should let you do yours. If your are like my Uncle that could be that they follow you throughout yellowstone national park while you are on a bike, all because they were curious.

Jul 2006
    mtnbkrdr98 seems to be well informed. I realize that my tact is poor, but the rest of you should maybe educate yourselves a bit about amimal behaviour before venturing in to the woods . Responding to an animal in an inappropiate manner can be a HUGE mistake. Making a mistake, for example, with a mother black bear and cubs may well lead to the killing of the adult bear for aggressive behaviour and the killing of the cubs if they are deemed incapable of caring for themselves. Although according WATCHABLE WILDLIFE/The Black Bear "Unlike grizzly bear mothers, black bear mothers seldom attack people in defense of cubs. Black bear mothers typically bluff or retreat. Researchers who routinely capture cubs by chasing them up trees have not been attacked even when they have held the screaming cubs. The ferocity of mother black bears is one of the biggest misconceptions about this species."
    mtnbkrdr98 I think your actions were exactly the right thing under the circumstances.
    And I, being an ardent supportor of the wolf, hate to admit this, there have been a very few wolf attacks on people, buteach one has beenattributted to rabid wolves and never, never in North America. Even when wolves have attacked defensively the outcome has always been non fatal to the human, though not to the wolf.
    Last edited by SpeedyGonzalas; 08-31-2006 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Going to buy you and lv2ride (is that Swen) a giant mirror each for Christmas!

Members who have read this thread: 0