an interesting point from tyler welshimer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

an interesting point from tyler welshimer

this was a part of an e-mail I recieved from Tyler this morning about riding in the Owyhees

I attended an Owyhee County recreation committee meeting on Tuesday night. Ranchers would like to change two misconceptions that mountain bikers have. The first: please TALK as you approach. Most bikers, trying to be polite, think they should be QUIET so not to scare the horses. Just the opposite is true. A horse magnifies things about 7 times. That means you look 40 feet tall to a horse. When you talk, a horse can relate that you're a person - like their rider - not a huge monster. Dirt bikers don't have the same problem because their engine makes noise. Likewise, don't close a gate unless you opened it. Leave the gate as you found it. There are times ranchers have the gates open so the cattle can go through to get water etc. Overall, ranchers say at least 90% of bikers are quite polite.

FWIW
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Hoops - Big and Small

Fun in the OweeeHeee's

Quote Originally Posted by lv2ride
    Overall, ranchers say at least 90% of bikers are quite polite.
    I would say that's a geographical thing. People who travel to get somewhere are generally going to be more aware of their surroundings.

People that have just got off WORK are more likely to be A-Holes cause they need to get rid of all that stress chemical that's pulsing through their veins.

Treat people as you want to be treated and when coming up on horse yell really loud, or get a playing card and put it in your spokes to make that great motorcycle sound.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Yep, just talk to 'em. We've got a very strong relationship with the Backcountry Horsemen up here, and that's what they always say.

It was very cool - at our last club meeting we had a special presentation for our IMBA rep, who is the guy with dirt on his face, in the cover photo of the summer "Trail News". We had that cover framed for him, invited various land managers and personages from the area, and had a little recognition ceremony. It is pretty darn cool when the president of BCH asks to say a few words about crossuser group cooperation and specifically honoring the IMBA rep for his advocacy work.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lv2ride
    I attended an Owyhee County recreation committee meeting on Tuesday night. Ranchers would like to change two misconceptions that mountain bikers have. The first: please TALK as you approach. Most bikers, trying to be polite, think they should be QUIET so not to scare the horses. Just the opposite is true. A horse magnifies things about 7 times. That means you look 40 feet tall to a horse. When you talk, a horse can relate that you're a person - like their rider - not a huge monster. Dirt bikers don't have the same problem because their engine makes noise.
    I'm guilty of this. If I see a horse coming from the opposite direction, I'll pull off and then get off my bike and acknowledge the rider as they are approaching. So next time I'm out there, I'll give a much more hearty hello to these folks.

Also...for some odd reason I always thought you were suppose to get off the bike when encountering a rider and his/her horse. So I guess if you stay on the bike, it makes you look bigger??

Likewise, don't close a gate unless you opened it. Leave the gate as you found it. There are times ranchers have the gates open so the cattle can go through to get water etc.
    Oops! I've closed a couple of gates out there before. I always thought they were opened because of idiots being too lazy to close 'em. But I guess it turns out that I'm the idiot!

Is it mid-January yet (my next free weekend)!?!?! I wanna ride out there!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Hoops - Big and Small

Horse Trail Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I see a horse coming from the opposite direction, I'll pull off and then get off my bike and acknowledge the rider as they are approaching!
    For some reason while in the foothills Horseback Riders tend to move off the trail yielding the trail to bikers.

It seems they feel more comfortable going into the sagebrush and creating distance from the biker rather than trying to share the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0