Injured Mountain Biker this AM- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Injured Mountain Biker this AM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/424765.html

Sure hope they are ok. Airlift can't be a good sign....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    anybody know who? Or got any details?

Rolling down Red Cliffs, crash, injury to face, airlift ... that's all the details I got.

mtbr member

Dog Poop.

dodging dog poop? or, hit a slick/soft spot of dog poop?

just kiddin'. hope all is well with the lady. sounds like she's ok..facial injuries. hopefully no broken bones or anything else..

between imp's and twisted's crashes...damn. lots of carnage in boise lately. i'm due a wreck this year...with my poor joke above..i'm sure my time is near.

mtbr member
    hope she is okay...and just too shaken up to walk out instead of too head-injured.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

dirt enthusiast

ouch!

apparently, i just missed the action! george (my dog) found a pool of blood and i figured it was a hawk vs rabbit carnage but didnt see any remains. thought it was kinda weird that i was seeing motorcycle tracks too.... i wish i could remember exactly where i saw the blood. i think it was before the 2nd steep after the sweeping right corner (if yer hiking up).

hopefully she's ok!
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Probably very, very shaken up. Probably dizzy. Airlift might have been b/c of fear of spinal injuries.
    Pool of blood, ai yi yi. Those face wounds do bleed lots. Poor gal.

mtbr member

Statesman's stark info re this incident

Mountain biker rescued after fall in the Boise Foothills

- STATESMAN STAFF
    Edition Date: 06/26/08

Ada County rescue workers airlifted a woman out of steep terrain in the Boise Foothills about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday after she crashed on her mountain bike.

The Ada County Sheriff's Office said three women were riding together on the Red Cliff trail when one of the riders fell and sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries, mostly to her face.

The two other women used cell phones to call for help when it was determined their friend couldn't make it out on her own.

The woman crashed on a steep section of the trail, which made getting to her difficult.

An Ada County Sheriff's deputy on a dirt bike was the first to arrive on the scene, officials said. He directed Ada County paramedics on foot to the crash scene, where they called for an air ambulance to transport the woman to a Boise hospital.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/425593.html

jalepenio jimenez

I hear...

Internal compound fractured lower jaw and two upper facial orbital fractures, plus I would guess, a probable broken nose = horrific face plant.

Heard it from the fire department guys who went in from 8th street TH. They have her bike. Accident was near the top. Medics went in from the Clarermont TH.

She was lucky to be easily accessable. Her friends weren't sure exactly where they were so couldn't give the best access, which is a big issue with rescue efforts. Patient location is obviously pretty important for quick response.

Only Ada Co. sheriff has motorcycles for quick patient location. Medics may have ATV's, but they are real slow to break out, so usually walk. Boise fire dept. walks.

Bottom line. Don't crash, but if you do, crash down low in the foothills. The further you are up into the hills, the longer the response time and greater the need for more accurate patient location.

Having been involved in a few foothill responses, the responders are always looking for information from the users in the immediiate vicinity and any help that a person on a bike could give, like possible access. Cell phones work in the foothills and should be carried just for this reason. Having good knowledge of the trails and even an altimeter for elevation helps zero in on the patients location.

A lot of Boise firemen bike and know the foothill trails system pretty well, so we usually figure out where the patient is pretty fast, but not always. Mountain bikers have been involved in quite a few rescue efforts by often being able to pinpoint patient location as they descend and directing emergency response personnel to them.

Rescue out of upper Shingle creek would be fraught with difficulty. Same with Dry creek.
    Cell phones don't work in there, but they would 500 feet up on the hillside.

What would your best course of action be? Not something I especially want to have to think about as I speed down through the winding curves and multiple creek crossings of Dry creek.
    Last edited by mudflap; 06-27-2008 at 04:50 AM.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    And definitely get a Lifeflight membership!

mtbr member
    I clicked on your link to the statesman to read about what happened (the first link in the first post)...then I made the mistake of reading some of the comments that people posted under this headline.

I just gotta say, its pretty pathetic that the whole "dog poop/leashes" issue was 95% of what the comments were about. I understand that this is a hot topic in the area right now, but c'mon...show a little compassion and sympathy toward the poor lady and forget about the controversy (I'd say it pales in comparison to someone injured badly enough to be life flighted)!! Then there were comments about her staying on the greenbelt and needing training wheels..etc...Some people just need a solid punch in the head to speed up the maturation process. Of course everyone is pretty tough with their words when they're anonymous.

I'm very glad to see that people posting in this site had more sense and common courtesy than to make a ladies injury into a grounds to debate something totally unrelated.

Just had to rant.
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Grind
    I clicked on your link to the statesman to read about what happened (the first link in the first post)...then I made the mistake of reading some of the comments that people posted under this headline.
    Unfortunately these types of comments are very common on the Statesman's site.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member

Girl attacked by Bear during 24 hour race..

As if we do not enough to worry about, just a thought and a prayer for a 14 year old girl in Alaska who was ridding in a 24 hour bike race and was attacked by a bear. Be careful out there especially in times when we move on their territory (bears and Mt lions) especially during times of habitat loss and scarce food supply...

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/450061.html

jalepenio jimenez

Another mountain biker down

at the top of Red Cliff trail today. Another female, novice rider trying to keep up. Once again, Ada Co. deputy on motorcycle first on scene and, once again, BFD hiked in from the bottom and called for LifeFlight. Head injury and facial scrapes and cuts.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member

Pray for a full and quick recovery...

I do maintenance for Life Flight and was awaiting the return of the aircraft that picked up the woman that morning. I could have went back to the hangar and came back later but when I heard it was a mtn bike accident in the lower hils, I decided to wait a few minutes to see what had happened. I have no real details, just what I've heard, some pretty serious injuries.

That being said, I'm pretty sure she had a helmet on just like a buddy of mine who had a terrible wipeout last fall. He was TOTALLY out of it for several days. Most of us wear helmets all of the time and wipe out occasionally. Many, like myself push our limits because it is just plain fun. Having been the one that ate dirt many times and seeing others get hurt much more serious, I realize that a lot of times we over do it and a measly little helmet only offers protection in certain cases.

Those of you who haven't experienced these bad accidents first hand, heed what you read here. ALWAYS wear a helmet and seriously consider a Life Flight membership. Yea, its $50 that you may or may not ever need but it helps support a great service for the valley. I know first hand that the crews on those aircraft are top notch people. The pilots and med crews are highly trained professionals who put themselves at risk every day to help people. They don't discriminate either, member or not.

Anyways, to the woman that wrecked that day, I wish you a fast and full recovery. Hopefully you'll be back out on a bike soon!

mtbr member

Life Flight

I agree, I carry four things when I bike:
    1. Copy of Insurance Card.
    2. Copy of Life Flight Card.
    3. Copy of DL
    4. Emergency Info, including Allegery info.

Members who have read this thread: 0